Wow, my nephew got a job at McDonald's, he makes more than his mother...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
I have a sister in law who is a para-professional at the middle school in her area. Her son got a job at McDonald's for the summer, and was paid more per hour than his mother.

I have a sister in law who is a para-professional at the middle school in her area. Her son got a job at McDonald's for the summer, and was paid more per hour than his mother.

What does para-professional mean? If she's a teacher, this is unconscionable.

What does para-professional mean? If she's a teacher, this is unconscionable.

A para-professional is hired to follow an individual student around and aid them due to some disability the student has, such as ADHD, blindness, etc.

They are hired at the lowest wages possible as they aren't required to have anything more than a GED to do the job. My sister in law does make more than minimum wage, but less than $10 per hour. She works as a playground para-professional, basically she's the playground lady...

It does underline that McDonald's does not hire at the minimum though, they pay much more than minimum wage.

A para-professional is hired to follow an individual student around and aid them due to some disability the student has, such as ADHD, blindness, etc.

They are hired at the lowest wages possible as they aren't required to have anything more than a GED to do the job. My sister in law does make more than minimum wage, but less than $10 per hour. She works as a playground para-professional, basically she's the playground lady...

It does underline that McDonald's does not hire at the minimum though, they pay much more than minimum wage.

Maybe it depends on the area. Our McDonald's pay minimum to start, so does our Panera.

One of my sons had a classmate with a para-professional (we call them something else, can't remember what) and he had I believe a form of autism, he acted out in class, cried, fought, ran out of the room etc. but was intellectually bright. That woman put in a full day's work and then some.

How much more? $0.20...$0.30 cents an hour more?

To be a teacher's aid, one needs to have completed several require college level courses. Unsurprisingly, they are also required for teachers. Teacher's aids make under $18k per year in our district. If they wish to buy into 'individual' healthcare coverage, they give up nearly $900 per month. That means they take home next to nothing. Obviously the 'really single' folks opt out of healthcare. I know of several that are working as aids and additional duties as coaches or some other paid extra-curricular to provide 'family care' due to spouse that owns their own business. They are indeed working for $0 beyond healthcare. It's worth it to them.

The minimum wage in Colorado is 7.78. The median hourly wage for food preparation and service workers, (not starting hourly wage) in Colorado is 8.80. So, yes, on average fast food workers make more than the minimum, but not a lot more and I doubt that starting wages are all that much higher than the minimum as a general rule.

Last edited:

Hard to comment on this without knowing the wages or knowing exactly what the responsibilities of your SIL are vs those of her son?

Perhaps she should go on strike? or at least go work at McD's.

Of course it could be she gets benefits? or works full time while her son doesn't?

You know what I hate? It's the mouthbreathing assholes who ask for special orders at fast food joints. What the fuck is up with that? Hold the cheese? Hold the lettuce? Fuck you! This isn't Cameron Mitchell's and going to Burger King doesn't make you royalty asshole. Special orders do affect us. Get your god damned Big Mac and get the hell out of the way. And what's up with pimply faced wise ass kid asking me if I want fries with that? Fuck yea I want fries with that. Do I look I came here for a mother fucking salad? Then you have the balls to whine about a raise? Well fuck you and your sociology degree. Give me my god damn bag of cheap assed grease so I can blow This popcycle stand.

And while I'm at it what the hell is up with these middle age ladies squeezing their fat asses with the texture of cottage cheese into a pair of tights, then donning last months sweatshirt, who jump into the express lane at krogers with a full cart? Every single fucking time they gotta pay with 3000 god damned coupons and then the technologically impaired retards gotta stand there for twenty minutes balancing their fucking check book. HEY LADY! MOVE YOUR FAT ASS OUT OF THE WAY. I JUST ATE A CHUNK OF CHEESE AND I'M LACTOSE INTOLERANT AND I'M GOING TO BLOW CHUNKS ALL OVER AISLE NUMBER THREE IF YOU DON'T GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY!!! AAAA. AAAA. AAAA!!!

Shwooooo... I feel better now . :)

Last edited:
"hold the pickles/hold the lettuce/special orders/don't upset/All we ask is that you let us/serve it - your way!"

enjoy that earworm....

They don't want you to know what the McDonalds worker position/experience is or what he/she makes. They also don't want you to know about a para. A para simply follows a child around. A GOOD para does work with OT, PT AND ST....but most don't because they aren't paid to.

Back