APP - Why Is Rand Paul Ignorant?

Howey

Banned
On "Meet the Press" yesterday:

"I think the failure of the Obama administration has been we haven't engaged the Russians enough or the Chinese enough on this, and I think they were engaged. I think there's a possibility Assad could already be gone. The Russians have every reason to want to keep their influence in Syria, and I think the only way they do is if there's a change in government where Assad has gone but some of the same people remain stable.

"That would also be good for the Christians. I think the Islamic rebels winning is a bad idea for the Christians and all of a sudden we'll have another Islamic state where Christians are persecuted.

"So I think really the best outcome for all the major powers would be a peaceful transition government, and Russia could influence that if they told Assad no more weapons."

What's with all the Christian talk? Doesn't he realize the Coptic Christians are in Egypt and not Syria?

Do Libertarians only care about Christians?

Um- we HAVE engaged the Russians and the Chinese. On another thread, someone posted a good article re the money Russia gets from selling arms to Syria, which is among the reasons they don't want Assad out.

Sure, Russia could influence Assad by saying no more weapons - but why would they want to?

Sigh.

I do agree with his comment "So I think really the best outcome for all the major powers would be a peaceful transition government," - but maybe Syrians wouldn't agree; and we can't force it anyway. Doesn't sound like he has any useful ideas to achieve that outcome besides getting Russia to do something they have no interest in doing.

On "Meet the Press" yesterday:

What's with all the Christian talk? Doesn't he realize the Coptic Christians are in Egypt and not Syria?

???....nothing in your quote refers to Coptic Christians.....most of the Christians in Syria are Eastern Orthodox.....

Meanwhile...shouldn't we be concerned with how a government treats all religions and not just one?

think the failure of the Obama administration has been we haven't engaged the Russians enough or the Chinese enough on this, and I think they were engaged. I think there's a possibility Assad could already be gone. The Russians have every reason to want to keep their influence in Syria, and I think the only way they do is if there's a change in government where Assad has gone but some of the same people remain stable.

"That would also be good for the Christians. I think the Islamic rebels winning is a bad idea for the Christians and all of a sudden we'll have another Islamic state where Christians are persecuted.

"So I think really the best outcome for all the major powers would be a peaceful transition government, and Russia could influence that if they told Assad no more weapons."
sane ideas, i'm not sure just how practicle it is by now, as Russia is not going to have any kind of peace conference in Geneva as planned before all this went to hell - but I can't fault Paul's reasoning -at least on the hypothetical level.

Alhough I'm not too sure how China fits into this - maybe the UN?

Do Libertarians only care about Christians?

Um- we HAVE engaged the Russians and the Chinese. On another thread, someone posted a good article re the money Russia gets from selling arms to Syria, which is among the reasons they don't want Assad out.

Sure, Russia could influence Assad by saying no more weapons - but why would they want to?

Sigh.

I do agree with his comment "So I think really the best outcome for all the major powers would be a peaceful transition government," - but maybe Syrians wouldn't agree; and we can't force it anyway. Doesn't sound like he has any useful ideas to achieve that outcome besides getting Russia to do something they have no interest in doing.

He is not making a libertarian argument.

Back