We've reached the end of antibiotics': Top CDC expert declares.

cancel2 2022

Canceled
Here is something that you all can really worry about, it is not as if we haven't been warned about the over prescribing of antibiotics for many years.

A high-ranking official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has declared in an interview with PBS that the age of antibiotics has come to an end. 'For a long time, there have been newspaper stories and covers of magazines that talked about "The end of antibiotics, question mark?"' said Dr Arjun Srinivasan. 'Well, now I would say you can change the title to "The end of antibiotics, period.”'

The associate director of the CDC sat down with Frontline over the summer for a lengthy interview about the growing problem of antibacterial resistance. Srinivasan, who is also featured in a Frontline report called 'Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria,' which aired Tuesday, said that both humans and livestock have been overmedicated to such a degree that bacteria are now resistant to antibiotics. ‘We're in the post-antibiotic era,' he said. 'There are patients for whom we have no therapy, and we are literally in a position of having a patient in a bed who has an infection, something that five years ago even we could have treated, but now we can’t.’.

Dr Srinivasan offered an example of this notion, citing the recent case of three Tampa Bay Buccaneers players who made headlines after reportedly contracting potentially deadly MRSA infections, which until recently were largely restricted to hospitals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-overmedicated-themselves.html#ixzz2iopGhFu6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Yup, in the battle of survival of the fittest, humans are starting to lose.

To microbes, we're just housing, transportation, and meat.

He is being over dramatic. But he has to be. He needs more funding. Can't get it without a crisis

He should blame antibiotic resistance on global warming

He is being over dramatic. But he has to be. He needs more funding. Can't get it without a crisis

Not exactly but we shouldnt blow all our ammunition too early:

As a follower of science with a love of bio and epidemiology, I'm not convinced that humans started this next warming cycle...to me that takes a huge amount of hubris.... but have no doubt that we contributed to it.

I also think it takes a huge amount of hubris to think we can change it. We can only lessen our contributing to it and prepare for it. And for those that think it wont be a big deal here in the US, at least in the near (noticeable) term, it certainly could be. Territory and lack of resources (starvation) still cause war and violence today. Start shifting boundaries & populations, have major agricultural areas move and/become arid and you'll have even more.

In case anyone hasnt noticed, even if you dont care about the 'human element,' we end up involved in those conflicts and sometimes it ends up over here. Certainly the costs can. Look at the emergence of the Somali pirates. If something like that becomes widespread, it will cost billions to protect the ships and the costs of those goods will go sky high. THat is just one very small example of what could happen.

An even scarier thing is the emergence of new diseases. They tend to emerge when there is environmental disruption and human incursion into undeveloped territory. Not to mention the affects of overcrowding and stress in places like refugee camps that will just concentrate and 'cook' such things into epidemics.

I think we (our govt, the UN, science, and humanitarian organizations) should be working pro-actively now on mitigating these things. And to do that, they have to keep studying climate change so they better understand which and how areas of the globe will be affected.

This is why I think we cant just ignore climate change and need to keep investing in research. Doesn't really matter what caused it at this point...but ignoring the science is just 'ostrich with its head in the sand' stuff.

Historically, new diseases with high virulence emerge during periods of warfare, human migrations, incursions into new territory, over crowding and poor sanitation, and environmental disruption. Welcome to a world that does not prepare for shifting weather patterns.'

(The high virulence is due to 'new meat,'....populations genetically unfamiliar to the emerging microbes. Like the New World when Europeans "discovered" it.)

Any chance we can get a scientist to proclaim this whose name I can pronounce? It would be much easier to reference in conversations at Starbucks that way.

He is not being overly dramatic, I have read other reports that say virtually all antibiotics will be useless in a decade or less. Even now some infections or diseases can only be treated with antibiotic cocktails. The most well-known superbug is methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), which can cause anything from skin infections to septicaemia or pneumonia. The bug has been common in hospitals for around a decade but can be controlled by only one antibiotic. That antibiotic is used sparingly, but it too will, one day, become useless, which will mean that even small cuts infected with MRSA could become untreatable.

Last edited:
He is not being overly dramatic, I have read other reports that say virtually all antibiotics will be useless in a decade or less. Even now some infections or diseases can only be treated with antibiotic cocktails. The most well-known superbug is methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), which can cause anything from skin infections to septicaemia or pneumonia. The bug has been common in hospitals for around a decade but can be controlled by only one antibiotic. That antibiotic is used sparingly, but it too will, one day, become useless, which will mean that even small cuts infected with MRSA could become untreatable.

Yes, he is being VERY over dramatic.

All antibiotics will not be useless. There are plenty of antibiotics that are working quite fine thank you very much. Take for instance ceftriaxone, it has been a workhorse drug for community acquired pneumonia since the early 1980s and we see almost no resistance to Streptococcal pneumonia. Cefazolin has excellent coverage against Staphylococci aureus and has been around for over forty years.

Yes, there are certain bug drug combinations that have high rates of resistance such as the fluoroquinolones and Pseudomonas aeuruginosa, but that is not ubiquitous across all organisms. Pseudomonas is a particularly tricky organism because it has the rare ability to develop resistance via the four major mechanisms; D2 porin loss, efflux pumps, beta lactamase production and changes at the protein binding sites. However, even though we see these multi drug resistant strains we find that they are not very virulent (they aren't very fit). Meaning their propensity to cause infection is quite low. You see, organisms would prefer to stay as wild type; or resistant free. They pay a price for the bacterial resistance. Those porin channels and efflux pumps weren't put there for the purposes of antibiotics. They have other functions that if lost cause the organism to suffer.

As to MRSA, you are mistaken. The bug has been around longer than then years. There are a number of different drugs that can treat it; Vancomycin, linezolid, daptomycin and ceftaroline to name a few. Now the community acquired type of MRSA has been a bit worrying because it represents a genetic change in MRSA and a completely different genotypic pattern. However, its phenotypic pattern is different as well. Community acquired MRSA typically manifests itself as skin infections and responds quite nicely to drugs like doxycycline and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole.

While i am not minimizing bacterial resistance in the least, the aforementioned individual at the CDC is yelling fire in a crowded theater. Why? Well, he needs funding for the CDC. The last thing he can say is "Things are manageable". No he needs to spark a crisis because he is competing for funds with other gobblement departments. Cynical you say? Maybe, but everything I stated above is 1000% true.

You may be an expert on oil and climate etc, but this is my bailiwick.

Another example of the corruption in the US. Mainly because they allow the peddling of pharmaceuticals on t.v. and the lemmings just can't resist. Go tell your doctor you saw it on t.v. and you need it too!

Whereas in Canada we don't allow the peddling of pharmas but depend on our doctors to prescribe what is right and is needed.
A reason why your health care system is defunct and failing the people. Hmmmm! Must be something to do with that blca president?

Back