The Royal Family

Steelplate

Why does the US media make such a big deal over a figurehead monarchy in a country that is not our own?

No offense to our members in the UK....but I just don't get it.

Why does the US media make such a big deal over a figurehead monarchy in a country that is not our own?

Because americans secretly yearn for a monarchy. Just look at how we treat hollywood stars and some of the big families. We'd love an aristocracy.

If you ask me, once Diana was gone, they should have packed it in. The Royal Family is just an antiquated remant of a bygone era. They lucked out big time when they snagged Diana, but she was the very last vestige of grace and charity there.

If you ask me, once Diana was gone, they should have packed it in. The Royal Family is just an antiquated remant of a bygone era. They lucked out big time when they snagged Diana, but she was the very last vestige of grace and charity there.

World's most expensive welfare recipients.

I remember asking that same question when Princess Diana was still alive, the response I got from women was , it's the whole "Princess" thing. Almost every little girl dreams of being a princess who is wooed by a knight in shining armor. It's in Disney movies, in story books, there are dolls, toys and whatnot.

I remember asking that same question when Princess Diana was still alive, the response I got from women was , it's the whole "Princess" thing. Almost every little girl dreams of being a princess who is wooed by a knight in shining armor. It's in Disney movies, in story books, there are dolls, toys and whatnot.

I'll give you that...except my daughter? As much as she loved Disney....loved a character from the old Nickelodeon cartoon "Rugrats" even more....Angelica was her heroine. If you aren't familiar....she was a spoiled rotten kid who did horribly nasty things to her peers.

So for a while, she emulated both the Disney princesses and Angelica in her behavior. Nothing worse than a 6 year old thinking her shit didn't stink with a mean streak. But....in that period, she lost friends as quick as she made them....reality has a way of finding you, even if you don't want to be found.

No offence taken. I don't really get it either.

So far today, the BBC has been particularly vomit inducing. I mean, tell us when she has a baby and that but don't constantly repeat the same BREAKING NEWS - mainly consisting of the phrases "she's having a baby", "it will likely be a little boy or a little girl" and "we are all standing around, waiting, talking about nothing, can't she just fucking push a bit?".

We're only a couple of hours in and i'm already on overload. Next up weights and names. Mother, the barbiturates and alcohol please.

maybe its the women you hang with.

I never once remember imagining what my wedding would be like.

I never once wanted to be anyones princess

The cost of the Royal Family to British taxpayers is around a dollar per person per year. That is probably less than what the US spends on Air Force One per year.

Actually I'm pretty sure that they subsist entirely off of their private estates now. Their gig as the uks head of state is entirely pro bono. If you went with a figurehead presidency, it would actually cost you money, because that person would have to receive a salary of some sort.

There's no reason to mess with something that's endured a thousand years and isn't harming anything. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Her kids seem to be doing well. And Kate Middleton seems both sensible and full of grace.

So far today, the BBC has been particularly vomit inducing. I mean, tell us when she has a baby and that but don't constantly repeat the same BREAKING NEWS - mainly consisting of the phrases "she's having a baby", "it will likely be a little boy or a little girl" and "we are all standing around, waiting, talking about nothing, can't she just fucking push a bit?".

We're only a couple of hours in and i'm already on overload. Next up weights and names. Mother, the barbiturates and alcohol please.

First, I have no problem with Britain's monarchy. It works for them; it gives us some nice pomp & circumstance to watch; all good except for the horrible way Diana and Fergie were treated.

But yes - treating something like a baby as though it is breaking news and needs to be covered non-stop - THAT will get tiring fast. I cringed when I saw the headline that she's gone into labor because that means we'll have this circus all day, maybe all week.

But that isn't just something particular to Britain; there are way too many hyped-up news stories in this world!

Can't they just say "she's in labor" and then... eventually "welcome to the world, little boy or girl!"? I wish her the best and hope it goes smoothly.

Actually I'm pretty sure that they subsist entirely off of their private estates now. Their gig as the uks head of state is entirely pro bono. If you went with a figurehead presidency, it would actually cost you money, because that person would have to receive a salary of some sort.

There's no reason to mess with something that's endured a thousand years and isn't harming anything. Don't fix what ain't broke.

The Queen gets something called the Royal Civil List which covers salaries and expenses.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...er-the-Royal-Family-is-worth-every-penny.html

I expect they will be calling for the Royal Oxytocin if nature doesn't do its job soon.

Back