The Pennant Race

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
Man I'm telling you. Nothing better than the traveling circus known as a pennant race. It's great when you're in a tight race in your division but we have a full blown three ring circus in the national league central. Three post season caliber teams playing each other and they're all within 1.5 games of each other.

The Reds (3rd place, 1.5 games out) will be playing the Dodgers tonight. Dodgers lead the NL West. So they don't exactly suck. Reds have taken the first two of the three game series.

Pittsburgh (2nd place, 0.5 game out) and St. Louis (leads NL central) play tonight to finish there three game series.

It's a sweet situation as the Reds automatically pick up a half game on the division leader if we win tonight. "If we win tonight!" The Dodgers have the 3rd best record in all of the majors. So winning tonight will be huge. Not only would we gain on the division leader but we will prove we can beat other division leaders when it comes to crunch time. That bodes well for the post season.

Texas is the team I'm putting money on in the AL. Boston may have the best record but Texas is the best team in the majors playing on the road. That's a nice habit to have when it comes playoff time.

Last edited:
I just found out my sister is at the Reds/Dodgers game tonight. She just posted some pics, they're seated right behind home plate. Bet they dropped some serious coin. I bet those tickets go for close to $200 ea.

Not sure whether to root for the Reds or Pirates. Both are small market teams that haven't done much in a while. I would love to see an Oakland vs. Reds/Pirates World Series! Of course, no one would watch it...

Not sure whether to root for the Reds or Pirates. Both are small market teams that haven't done much in a while. I would love to see an Oakland vs. Reds/Pirates World Series! Of course, no one would watch it...
You're an American League fan so I'll forgive you your ignorance. Pittsburgh has had it's first winning season since 1993. The Reds, on the other hand, have made the previous two playoffs and has been one of the better NL Central teams for the last 5 or 6 years.

National League = AAAA... the American League has the better ballplayers and the better teams and the better managers too.

National League = AAAA... the American League has the better ballplayers and the better teams and the better managers too.
I tell ya..you junior league guys just can't help but being jealous can you? Oh well...when you are fans of a club with the historic tradition like the Reds, you do tend to be a little bit spoiled. :)

I have no doubt the Pirates will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It's what they do.

It could be worse. You could be a Cubs fan. I was lucky. I grew up watching one of the best three teams in the history of MLB. I haven't seen a team as good since then.

I was a huge Reds fan when I was a kid. Had a diagram of the Big Red Machine on my wall with my 3 favorites, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Ken Griffy Jr. highlighted. When we moved to the country I started listening to the Cardinals with an old man that lived across the street from my folks. Met Ozzie Smith and that was all she wrote....the Reds became (and have remained) my second favorite NL team.

Mott, the reason why I'm torn is because the Reds are the oldest club in baseball, and I'm sentimental.

As a fan of the worst franchise in the MLB that has ever existed, I feel everyone's pain (except LR, who is a Cards fan).

I was a huge Reds fan when I was a kid. Had a diagram of the Big Red Machine on my wall with my 3 favorites, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Ken Griffy Jr. highlighted. When we moved to the country I started listening to the Cardinals with an old man that lived across the street from my folks. Met Ozzie Smith and that was all she wrote....the Reds became (and have remained) my second favorite NL team.
Traitor! ;)

I started watching the Reds in 1970. They went to the series that year but lost to Baltimore. We only missed the playoffs 3 times in ten years, played in 4 WS and won 2. It was a magical time. Bench was my hero. I had his picture on my wall till I was thirteen and replaced it with a portrait of Bela Abzug.

Mott, the reason why I'm torn is because the Reds are the oldest club in baseball, and I'm sentimental.

As a fan of the worst franchise in the MLB that has ever existed, I feel everyone's pain (except LR, who is a Cards fan).
Dude....cheer up....you can't even begin to understand the pain that Cub Fans feel. Hold your head up and be of good cheer cause with a great deal of certainty I can predict that Seattle will win a World Series before the Cubs do.

Orioles fan. Love AL East BB - insane stack of good teams.

can you find my Orioles a PITCHER?? you know someone who can hold a lead?????

default position: Boston / *damn Yankees*

Dude....cheer up....you can't even begin to understand the pain that Cub Fans feel. Hold your head up and be of good cheer cause with a great deal of certainty I can predict that Seattle will win a World Series before the Cubs do.
ya. always consolation that I'm not a Cubbies fan..
did they win anything?? like in the last 100 years?

Granted, they're an ancient franchise, but they have TWO titles. They best that the Mariners have ever done was equal their season win totals in 2001 (but NOT their win percentage!!).

Back