Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst calls 911 to pressure police to release jailed relative

Socrtease

Verified User
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/...o-pressure-police-to-release-jailed-relative/

Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst (R) reportedly called 911 when a relative was in jail and tried to use his influence to convince officials to release her. According to CBS Dallas-Ft. Worth, Dewhurst made the call on August 3, four hours after his niece was arrested for shoplifting at an Allen, TX Kroger grocery store.

“This is David Dewhurst, the Lieutenant Governor of the State of Texas, and I want to talk to your senior officer who is there at your department right now,” Dewhurst said at the beginning of the call.

When the Republican got a police sergeant on the phone, he proceeded to insist that his niece, Ellen Bevers, is “the sweetest person in the world,” and that she should be released as quickly as possible.

“What I would like to do is if you would explain to me, sergeant, what I would need to do to arrange for getting her out of jail this evening,” he said. “You can proceed with whatever you think is proper.”

If you call the police department are you automatically calling 911? And does the police department record all calls like 911 does? (not rhetorical questions, I don't know the answers)

I'm also asking because a local CBS article makes no reference of a 911 call and my initial reaction after seeing the subject heading is why the hell would someone call 911 to try and get someone out of jail?

“What I would like to do is if you would explain to me, sergeant, what I would need to do to arrange for getting her out of jail this evening,” he said. “You can proceed with whatever you think is proper.”

Allen police say they handled the case just as they would any other case of a relative calling about an inmate. The sergeant on duty explained that Bevers was charged with a Class B misdemeanor and would be transferred to the Collin County Sheriff’s Office for arraignment.

Dewhurst asked for the county judge’s phone number, but the officer would not give it to him.

“What do I need to do to not circumvent anything, follow the law, because this is ridiculous,” Dewhurst insisted.

A spokesperson for the Allen Police Department, Sgt. John Felty, said that neither his department nor the lieutenant governor did anything wrong, “He didn’t threaten anybody. He didn’t demand anything. He didn’t ask for anything that was above and beyond what a normal citizen would.”

While I am not sure why he called 911 (which was stupid), not sure what the point of this is. Other than perhaps pointing out that he is not helping his niece learn not to steal.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/...o-pressure-police-to-release-jailed-relative/

Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst (R) reportedly called 911 when a relative was in jail and tried to use his influence to convince officials to release her. According to CBS Dallas-Ft. Worth, Dewhurst made the call on August 3, four hours after his niece was arrested for shoplifting at an Allen, TX Kroger grocery store.

“This is David Dewhurst, the Lieutenant Governor of the State of Texas, and I want to talk to your senior officer who is there at your department right now,” Dewhurst said at the beginning of the call.

When the Republican got a police sergeant on the phone, he proceeded to insist that his niece, Ellen Bevers, is “the sweetest person in the world,” and that she should be released as quickly as possible.

No surprise.

This is the norm for politicians.

Everyone I know hates Dewhurst. Maybe this will help retire him in the next election.

As an Uncle I know I would do everything in my power to help out my nieces in they were in trouble. The obvious implication in this story is did this man try to abuse his power of position for special benefits. If he did I hope he is fully called out for it.

he didn't really do anything other than request that she may be able to leave, even told them they could proceed however they like.

As an Uncle I know I would do everything in my power to help out my nieces in they were in trouble. The obvious implication in this story is did this man try to abuse his power of position for special benefits. If he did I hope he is fully called out for it.

I would bet the house,,,,,, that the answer,,,,, is,,,,,,,, YES.

My local media outlets are all El Paso TX. Heard the recording on the radio this morning. He describes her as his "Step Niece-in-law" later in a statement. What the fuck is a step niece in law? Sounds like a nice name for someone he is fucking, but I could be wrong.

Surely someone with his position and power would just call the police chief not some desk sergeant.

My local media outlets are all El Paso TX. Heard the recording on the radio this morning. He describes her as his "Step Niece-in-law" later in a statement. What the fuck is a step niece in law? Sounds like a nice name for someone he is fucking, but I could be wrong.

My brother has adopted his deceased wife's niece so she is my step niece in law, I think.

My brother has adopted his deceased wife's niece so she is my step niece in law, I think.
If he legally adopted her, she is your niece. Adoptions create the fiction of biology. In all states after adoption, new birth certificates are generated naming the adoptive parent(s) as biological parents.

he didn't really do anything other than request that she may be able to leave, even told them they could proceed however they like.

He mentioned he was the Lt. governor several times, but this, to me, is harmless because the only favor he was trying to curry was her quick release, through legal means, willing to post bond, etc.

If he legally adopted her, she is your niece. Adoptions create the fiction of biology. In all states after adoption, new birth certificates are generated naming the adoptive parent(s) as biological parents.

My sister who has kids, married a guy with a kid. The guys son is technically the step brother of my nieces and is technically my step nephew (though they just say brother and I say nephew)

as for the article... what other than calling 911 do you see that this guy did wrong?

That's called Republican welfare.

Back