Teaching and Technology

cawacko

I thought this was an excellent article by the Economist on the future of education and technology's role in it. I was with my three little nieces and nephew this weekend so this hit home with me. And since this is a political board I can throw in the article discusses the role of teachers going forward and the teachers union fighting some of these changes because less teachers may be needed.

E-ducation

A long-overdue technological revolution is at last under way

“IT IS possible to teach every branch of human knowledge with the motion picture,” observed Thomas Edison in 1913, predicting that books would soon be obsolete in the classroom. In fact the motion picture has had little effect on education. The same, until recently, was true of computers. Ever since the 1970s Silicon Valley’s visionaries have been claiming that their industry would change the schoolroom as radically as the office—and they have sold a lot of technology to schools on the back of that. Children use computers to do research, type essays and cheat. But the core of the system has changed little since the Middle Ages: a “sage on a stage” teacher spouting “lessons” to rows of students. Tom Brown and Huckleberry Finn would recognise it in an instant—and shudder.

Now at last a revolution is under way (see article). At its heart is the idea of moving from “one-size-fits-all” education to a more personalised approach, with technology allowing each child to be taught at a different speed, in some cases by adaptive computer programs, in others by “superstar” lecturers of one sort or another, while the job of classroom teachers moves from orator to coach: giving individual attention to children identified by the gizmos as needing targeted help. In theory the classroom will be “flipped”, so that more basic information is supplied at home via screens, while class time is spent embedding, refining and testing that knowledge (in the same way that homework does now, but more effectively). The promise is of better teaching for millions of children at lower cost—but only if politicians and teachers embrace it.

Why is this time different? Largely because a number of big changes are coming at the same time: high-speed mobile networks, cheap tablet devices, the ability to process huge amounts of data cheaply, sophisticated online gaming and adaptive-learning software. For instance, new interactive digital textbooks with built-in continuous performance assessment can change in real time, depending on what and how much the pupil using it is learning (sometimes with the pupil being unaware that he or she is being tested). New data-mining software is able to predict when a pupil is likely to fail at reading or mathematics without special attention, allowing the teacher to intervene before it is too late.

Yes we Khan

Higher education is in the vanguard. Barely a year from its launch, Coursera, one of the pioneers in offering “massive open online courses”, now boasts more than 3.9m students worldwide, taking courses supplied by 83 partner institutions. Colleges have always been keen to experiment with technology: Britain’s television-based Open University is now 44 years old. But this time schools are following. Four years after Salman Khan gave up his job at a hedge fund to focus on making maths videos, the Khan Academy has 6m registered users, who solve (or try to solve) 3m problems a day, and it has broadened its curriculum far beyond maths. It is spreading beyond America, too. Carlos Slim, one of the world’s richest men, is said to be paying for a version of Khan Academy’s curriculum to be developed for schoolchildren in his native Mexico.

Edtech has collected other impressive advocates. Bill Gates calls this “a special moment” for education. Private-sector money is piling in. Rupert Murdoch, hardly a rose-tinted-specs technophile, is allowing Amplify, his digital education business, to run up losses of around $180m this year in hope of dominating an edtech market that News Corporation reckons will soon be worth $44 billion in America alone. GEMS, a Dubai-based education provider, wants to expand its use of technology in India and Ghana to reach children in remote areas.

Others are not so sure. Many parents already blame the “dumbest generation” on too much gaming, always-on computing and illiterate texting. Teachers may use edtech websites, but their unions are suspicious of anything suggesting that schools could get along with fewer teachers, and they dislike the idea of private companies such as Mr Murdoch’s News Corp making money out of education. There are also worries about privacy: edtech companies will end up with a vast store of personal data on pupils.

It seems to work

Most of these fears are overdone. For-profit companies have long been in the business of selling printed textbooks, and there is no reason why data-privacy laws cannot extend to students. The biggest question remains: will children learn more? That in turn relies on the teachers, because even the best technology will get nowhere without their support.

The evidence on the efficacy of edtech comes largely from America. Most of it suggests that when teachers have been properly trained, it works. Low-income students at Rocketship, a chain of charter schools in San Jose, California, which also use the technologies, outperform those living in the wealthiest districts in the state. Having performed well in various pilot programmes, Khan Academy’s adaptive software platform is now being rolled out across Los Altos, one of America’s wealthiest and best-performing school districts.

Edtech will boost inequality in the short term, because it will be taken up most enthusiastically by richer schools, especially private ones, while underfunded state schools may struggle to find the money to buy technology that would help poorer students catch up. Governments will have to invest to allow them to do so. Some already are. In South Korea high-speed internet access is the norm in schools. Barack Obama recently promised that America will follow. Laws may have to be changed to allow pupils to study with those at a similar stage of learning rather than be grouped according to their age. But the biggest challenge for many politicians will be confronting the enormously powerful teachers’ unions.

Parents and taxpayers should stiffen the politicians’ spines. Education has proved stubbornly resistant to the improvements in productivity that technology has brought to other jobs. This wave of edtech promises to change that. Technology has supposedly been on the verge of transforming education for over a century. This time it looks as though it will.

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ological-revolution-last-under-way-e-ducation

I agree that some teaching positions may someday be replaced by technology. My thoughts on the resistance to implementation of technology by some teachers is more of an unwillingness to change than a fear of losing their jobs. I have been teaching for 25+ years and have had to make major changes more than once. Unfortunately, I know some teachers who have been in it as long or longer than I have who won't even make the effort to implement a Smart Board in their classroom.

Now the teacher's unions ... Yes, I think they see lost jobs and thus a loss of revenue. I do not trust teacher's unions. I've had too many dealings with them over the years.

I agree that some teaching positions may someday be replaced by technology. My thoughts on the resistance to implementation of technology by some teachers is more of an unwillingness to change than a fear of losing their jobs. I have been teaching for 25+ years and have had to make major changes more than once. Unfortunately, I know some teachers who have been in it as long or longer than I have who won't even make the effort to implement a Smart Board in their classroom.

Now the teacher's unions ... Yes, I think they see lost jobs and thus a loss of revenue. I do not trust teacher's unions. I've had too many dealings with them over the years.

I didn't get out of the article that teachers are unwilling to change (although I'm sure older teachers are not that different from older folk in other industry who haven't adapted as well as youngsters to all the technological change) but more that the teachers union didn't want any changes that would have there be less teachers.

I got that teachers roles would change from standing in front of the class and lecturing to more of working with individual students more one on one at the level of where each student is.

I'm not so quick to jump on the technological bandwagon. My school (granted, a college) spent a metric fuck ton of money on new technological upgrades from every classroom and department. And in the past 6 years since they started their program, grades have trended downward, not up. Graduations are fewer, and in less desirable degree fields (well, less employable).

I didn't get out of the article that teachers are unwilling to change (although I'm sure older teachers are not that different from older folk in other industry who haven't adapted as well as youngsters to all the technological change) but more that the teachers union didn't want any changes that would have there be less teachers.

I got that teachers roles would change from standing in front of the class and lecturing to more of working with individual students more one on one at the level of where each student is.

We may actually need more teachers if they started working more one on one with students....

Technology by itself won't help or hurt learning; it's all in how it's applied, how it's used.

An example - maybe 8 or 9 years ago a stepdaughter had a paper to write (early high school). She logged onto the internet, found a site, copied the info and thought she had her paper done. I had to work with her to get her to see she needed to go to several sites and research the topic a bit more, make sure the data was accurate, figure out what she wanted to say about it.

but of course, that can be an issue without technology; someone goes, gets one book, and just uses it.

We may actually need more teachers if they started working more one on one with students....

Technology by itself won't help or hurt learning; it's all in how it's applied, how it's used.

An example - maybe 8 or 9 years ago a stepdaughter had a paper to write (early high school). She logged onto the internet, found a site, copied the info and thought she had her paper done. I had to work with her to get her to see she needed to go to several sites and research the topic a bit more, make sure the data was accurate, figure out what she wanted to say about it.

but of course, that can be an issue without technology; someone goes, gets one book, and just uses it.

Some people are able to work on their own and learn, unfortunately most can't.

I began teaching high school/middle school in 1996, I've always used technology in my classes. NY Times lesson plans, have been around since I began. I've used them for current events, social studies, and language arts.

Research papers in American History and Western Civ always included a suggestive link to The Avalon Project.

What's necessary for MLA Citation Formatting?

Someone brought up 'Smartboards.' While now nearly all classrooms in our area have them, few teachers use them effectively or at all. That's a shame, as used correctly they can provide both class excitement and in many ways are the perfect way to model so many applications in nearly all subjects. When provided by the school, the student response system is an excellent tool for both reviews and assessments.

Currently e-textbooks are bought through 'school license agreements.' As a social studies teacher, it would be be beneficial if the teacher could use several different reading level texts, especially when ESL is part and parcel of the class make-up. The teacher could broadly speak to the subject, say 'Reconstruction' in a lecture format. The students then could each be assigned the text readings, on RL appropriate texts, then assigned appropriate projects based upon their texts. This would allow all students to hit the core objectives, allowing for higher level students to delve deeper, while accommodating those students with reading deficits. Everyone has the opportunity to succeed.

Few school districts truly address the brightest and gifted in a regular classroom, same with 'over-achieving' students. The use of more individualized programming can keep these students interested and not acting as 'teacher helpers,' a travesty in too many classrooms.

I began teaching high school/middle school in 1996, I've always used technology in my classes. NY Times lesson plans, have been around since I began. I've used them for current events, social studies, and language arts.

Research papers in American History and Western Civ always included a suggestive link to The Avalon Project.

What's necessary for MLA Citation Formatting?

Someone brought up 'Smartboards.' While now nearly all classrooms in our area have them, few teachers use them effectively or at all. That's a shame, as used correctly they can provide both class excitement and in many ways are the perfect way to model so many applications in nearly all subjects. When provided by the school, the student response system is an excellent tool for both reviews and assessments.

Currently e-textbooks are bought through 'school license agreements.' As a social studies teacher, it would be be beneficial if the teacher could use several different reading level texts, especially when ESL is part and parcel of the class make-up. The teacher could broadly speak to the subject, say 'Reconstruction' in a lecture format. The students then could each be assigned the text readings, on RL appropriate texts, then assigned appropriate projects based upon their texts. This would allow all students to hit the core objectives, allowing for higher level students to delve deeper, while accommodating those students with reading deficits. Everyone has the opportunity to succeed.

Few school districts truly address the brightest and gifted in a regular classroom, same with 'over-achieving' students. The use of more individualized programming can keep these students interested and not acting as 'teacher helpers,' a travesty in too many classrooms.

You bring up some interesting points Annie. What did you think about the paragraph below (from the article) on transforming the roles of teachers in the classroom?

Now at last a revolution is under way (see article). At its heart is the idea of moving from “one-size-fits-all” education to a more personalised approach, with technology allowing each child to be taught at a different speed, in some cases by adaptive computer programs, in others by “superstar” lecturers of one sort or another, while the job of classroom teachers moves from orator to coach: giving individual attention to children identified by the gizmos as needing targeted help. In theory the classroom will be “flipped”, so that more basic information is supplied at home via screens, while class time is spent embedding, refining and testing that knowledge (in the same way that homework does now, but more effectively). The promise is of better teaching for millions of children at lower cost—but only if politicians and teachers embrace it.

You bring up some interesting points Annie. What did you think about the paragraph below (from the article) on transforming the roles of teachers in the classroom?

There's some merit there, though teachers have always acted as a 'coach' in the sense of challenging, praising, and giving out constructive criticism with suggestions of how to correct.

There will always be a need in some degree for the 'sage on the stage' with most students. Truly the most important function of a teacher, IMO is giving out the information that the students need to know. Not the details, but the basis for the 'objectives.' Oh there are always a few students that could probably read the text and write spot on lecture notes, but they are mostly in AP courses to begin with.

Using the example I cited regarding a 'lesson' in Reconstruction, most students need a period of direct instruction: What 'reconstruction' was supposed to be. The basics on where 'history' thinks Lincoln would have gone; where Johnson went; Who the radical Republicans were; how the Klan gained power after 1870.

I thought this was an excellent article by the Economist on the future of education and technology's role in it. I was with my three little nieces and nephew this weekend so this hit home with me. And since this is a political board I can throw in the article discusses the role of teachers going forward and the teachers union fighting some of these changes because less teachers may be needed.

E-ducation

A long-overdue technological revolution is at last under way

“IT IS possible to teach every branch of human knowledge with the motion picture,” observed Thomas Edison in 1913, predicting that books would soon be obsolete in the classroom. In fact the motion picture has had little effect on education. The same, until recently, was true of computers. Ever since the 1970s Silicon Valley’s visionaries have been claiming that their industry would change the schoolroom as radically as the office—and they have sold a lot of technology to schools on the back of that. Children use computers to do research, type essays and cheat. But the core of the system has changed little since the Middle Ages: a “sage on a stage” teacher spouting “lessons” to rows of students. Tom Brown and Huckleberry Finn would recognise it in an instant—and shudder.

Why is this time different? Largely because a number of big changes are coming at the same time: high-speed mobile networks, cheap tablet devices, the ability to process huge amounts of data cheaply, sophisticated online gaming and adaptive-learning software. For instance, new interactive digital textbooks with built-in continuous performance assessment can change in real time, depending on what and how much the pupil using it is learning (sometimes with the pupil being unaware that he or she is being tested). New data-mining software is able to predict when a pupil is likely to fail at reading or mathematics without special attention, allowing the teacher to intervene before it is too late.

Yes we Khan

Higher education is in the vanguard. Barely a year from its launch, Coursera, one of the pioneers in offering “massive open online courses”, now boasts more than 3.9m students worldwide, taking courses supplied by 83 partner institutions. Colleges have always been keen to experiment with technology: Britain’s television-based Open University is now 44 years old. But this time schools are following. Four years after Salman Khan gave up his job at a hedge fund to focus on making maths videos, the Khan Academy has 6m registered users, who solve (or try to solve) 3m problems a day, and it has broadened its curriculum far beyond maths. It is spreading beyond America, too. Carlos Slim, one of the world’s richest men, is said to be paying for a version of Khan Academy’s curriculum to be developed for schoolchildren in his native Mexico.

Edtech has collected other impressive advocates. Bill Gates calls this “a special moment” for education. Private-sector money is piling in. Rupert Murdoch, hardly a rose-tinted-specs technophile, is allowing Amplify, his digital education business, to run up losses of around $180m this year in hope of dominating an edtech market that News Corporation reckons will soon be worth $44 billion in America alone. GEMS, a Dubai-based education provider, wants to expand its use of technology in India and Ghana to reach children in remote areas.

Others are not so sure. Many parents already blame the “dumbest generation” on too much gaming, always-on computing and illiterate texting. Teachers may use edtech websites, but their unions are suspicious of anything suggesting that schools could get along with fewer teachers, and they dislike the idea of private companies such as Mr Murdoch’s News Corp making money out of education. There are also worries about privacy: edtech companies will end up with a vast store of personal data on pupils.

It seems to work

Most of these fears are overdone. For-profit companies have long been in the business of selling printed textbooks, and there is no reason why data-privacy laws cannot extend to students. The biggest question remains: will children learn more? That in turn relies on the teachers, because even the best technology will get nowhere without their support.

The evidence on the efficacy of edtech comes largely from America. Most of it suggests that when teachers have been properly trained, it works. Low-income students at Rocketship, a chain of charter schools in San Jose, California, which also use the technologies, outperform those living in the wealthiest districts in the state. Having performed well in various pilot programmes, Khan Academy’s adaptive software platform is now being rolled out across Los Altos, one of America’s wealthiest and best-performing school districts.

Edtech will boost inequality in the short term, because it will be taken up most enthusiastically by richer schools, especially private ones, while underfunded state schools may struggle to find the money to buy technology that would help poorer students catch up. Governments will have to invest to allow them to do so. Some already are. In South Korea high-speed internet access is the norm in schools. Barack Obama recently promised that America will follow. Laws may have to be changed to allow pupils to study with those at a similar stage of learning rather than be grouped according to their age. But the biggest challenge for many politicians will be confronting the enormously powerful teachers’ unions.

Parents and taxpayers should stiffen the politicians’ spines. Education has proved stubbornly resistant to the improvements in productivity that technology has brought to other jobs. This wave of edtech promises to change that. Technology has supposedly been on the verge of transforming education for over a century. This time it looks as though it will.

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ological-revolution-last-under-way-e-ducation
I disagree with the basic premise of the article. I heard the same line of shit about all the fucking trees we kill at our office. "Computers and the internet will make printing obsolete. You won't need to use nearly as much paper as you did in the past. What bullshit. Thanks to computers I kill far more trees than I did in the day of type writers, dot matrix printers and the naked pen and paper.

Point being, e-education has substantially increased the demand for teacher. If anything, and spare me the anti-union rhetoric, as regardless, I think you'll be seing education as a growth industry with morequalified teachers needed than are currently available.

I think the bit on unions is a meaningless point. I bet you the whole fundamental premis of the argument being put forward is simply wrong. In fact, the current data should devinatively prove it.

Look at how many new accredited e-education schools, colleges, tech schools, etc, etc there are out there. It's created a substantial increase in the need for teachers at all levels of education. If anything technology will create far more demand for educators than any it may render redundant.

So in that respect, unions have nothing to do with it. That's just a political hot potato people want to toss around.

I'm not so quick to jump on the technological bandwagon. My school (granted, a college) spent a metric fuck ton of money on new technological upgrades from every classroom and department. And in the past 6 years since they started their program, grades have trended downward, not up. Graduations are fewer, and in less desirable degree fields (well, less employable).
Yea....major over sight on their part. They were in michigan.....they forgot about who they had to work with!

Back