STY, this is for you - can you explain this Texas item?

tekkychick

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/07/12/2295691/texas-senate-tampon-gun/

STY, now that I know you have special knowledge of Texas - what do you think of this? Guns are allowed in the Senate chamber, but tampons/pads aren't ... I mean, I know tampons aren't in the constitution, but when women are waiting for hours to speak, what are they supposed to do? drip on the floor?

While I doubt the women are going to throw tampons and pads, even if they did they wouldn't cause as much damage as bullets...

You’re Allowed To Carry A Gun Into The Texas Senate Gallery, But Not A Tampon

By Tara Culp-Ressler on Jul 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm

On Friday afternoon, the Texas Senate will vote on a package of abortion restrictions that Republican lawmakers have been attempting to push through a special session. After State Sen. Wendy Davis (D-TX) successfully blocked a vote on the legislation last month with a 13-hour filibuster that was aided by disruptions from hundreds of protesters in the gallery, Senate Republicans aren’t taking any chances this time.

According to Jessica Luther, a freelance writer and pro-choice activist who has been coordinating much of the push-back to the proposed abortion restrictions over the past few weeks, Senate officials are confiscating any objects they believe may cause a similar disruption in the gallery during Friday’s vote. Protesters aren’t allowed to carry water bottles or even feminine hygiene products, just in case they might throw them at lawmakers:

Jessica W. Luther @scATX

I just asked DPS myself: NO TAMPONS OR MAXI PADS IN GALLERY. "Nothing that can be thrown at Senators" #HB2
12:17 PM - 12 Jul 2013

Even though the Texas legislature may not be comfortable with feminine hygiene products, it’s a bit more relaxed when it comes to firearms. Individuals with concealed carry licenses are permitted to bring their guns into the Senate gallery. In fact, a Texas Republican recently insinuated he might do just that during the current special session.

In a recent interview with the National Review Online, state Rep. Jonathan Strickland (R) expressed concern over becoming the target of violence as thousands of angry pro-choice activists rally at the capitol. When asked whether those concerns would inspire him to carry a hidden gun this session, he said he couldn’t legally answer that question. But he did add, “I very, very often do concealed-carry, I can say that.”

Since activists aren’t allowed to carry tampons or pads on their person, they have asked supporters to send feminine products to the capitol building so they can stock the bathrooms for the women who may need them.

Apologize for posting whole article, but it is just so strange. They are sure afraid of women there, aren't they?

STY, thoughts on your fellow Texans?

STY, now that I know you have special knowledge of Texas - what do you think of this? Guns are allowed in the Senate chamber, but tampons/pads aren't ... I mean, I know tampons aren't in the constitution, but when women are waiting for hours to speak, what are they supposed to do? drip on the floor?

While I doubt the women are going to throw tampons and pads, even if they did they wouldn't cause as much damage as bullets...

Apologize for posting whole article, but it is just so strange. They are sure afraid of women there, aren't they?

it's not any different than TSA confiscating water bottles, shampoo, and other things at airports. you're asking me to explain the idiocy and ridiculousness of elected officials when i've long been an extreme critic of elected officials, especially my own state. this particular instance is specifically about the republicans strongarming their abortion restrictions and not caring about any consequences. it's simply the government displaying their power. What pisses me off the most is this...
In a recent interview with the National Review Online, state Rep. Jonathan Strickland (R) expressed concern over becoming the target of violence as thousands of angry pro-choice activists rally at the capitol. When asked whether those concerns would inspire him to carry a hidden gun this session, he said he couldn’t legally answer that question. But he did add, “I very, very often do concealed-carry, I can say that.”
Strickland is my representative. Even got me to vote for him because he expressed strong interest in removing the open carry restrictions in Texas, then went right around and voted yes on a bill that allowed legislators to carry guns in bars and not even touching open carry. I know who i'm not voting for next election.

You should have banned him from the thread. :)

The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) today received information that individuals planned to use a variety of items or props to disrupt legislative proceedings at the Texas Capitol.

Therefore for safety purposes, DPS recommended to the State Preservation Board that all bags be inspected prior to allowing individuals to enter the Senate gallery, which the State Preservation Board authorized.

During these inspections, DPS officers have thus far discovered one jar suspected to contain urine, 18 jars suspected to contain feces, and three bottles suspected to contain paint. All of these items – as well as significant quantities of feminine hygiene products, glitter and confetti possessed by individuals – were required to be discarded; otherwise those individuals were denied entry into the gallery.

Some were asking why they were stripped of these items while concealed-carry permit holders were allowed to take their guns into the Capitol. I can only imagine that the explanation for this is the simplest one: CCW permit holders don’t tend to shoot people; protesters carrying feces to fling tend to, well, fling feces.

What kind of a person would gather shit, put it in a jar, then carry it around in a purse? Stay classy liberals.....

The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) today received information that individuals planned to use a variety of items or props to disrupt legislative proceedings at the Texas Capitol.

Therefore for safety purposes, DPS recommended to the State Preservation Board that all bags be inspected prior to allowing individuals to enter the Senate gallery, which the State Preservation Board authorized.

During these inspections, DPS officers have thus far discovered one jar suspected to contain urine, 18 jars suspected to contain feces, and three bottles suspected to contain paint. All of these items – as well as significant quantities of feminine hygiene products, glitter and confetti possessed by individuals – were required to be discarded; otherwise those individuals were denied entry into the gallery.

Some were asking why they were stripped of these items while concealed-carry permit holders were allowed to take their guns into the Capitol. I can only imagine that the explanation for this is the simplest one: CCW permit holders don’t tend to shoot people; protesters carrying feces to fling tend to, well, fling feces.

What kind of a person would gather shit, put it in a jar, then carry it around in a purse? Stay classy liberals.....

How liberals behave in Texas.

Urine, etc is out of line and should be confiscated. (and by the way - I've heard of conservatives doing things like that too... there are jerks on both sides)

But there's a big difference between a jar of urine and an unused tampon.

Texas Tribune:

DPS officers outside the Senate gallery and at each entrance to the Capitol told The Texas Tribune they had not seen or found jars containing feces or urine, and multiple officers throughout the Capitol said they had not heard of any jars being found until a reporter mentioned it. Several officers also said they had not heard anything on the DPS radio system about jars of any excrement.

On social media and in interviews, abortion rights protesters questioned the report, calling it an attempt by DPS to bolster Republican credibility during a contentious debate that has drawn national attention.

The office of Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst referred questions about the seizure back to the DPS. The agency’s press office pointed to the news release and said it would not elaborate beyond that.

Sandie Haverlah, an Austin-based abortion rights activist, cast doubt on the assertion by the agency.

“There are hundreds of people out there posting everything they see on Twitter and Facebook," she said. "Certainly, out of 18 or 19 jars of this, a person would have put this out there. Even if you’re wearing a blue shirt, wouldn’t you post it? No one has said a word.”​

Texas Tribune:

DPS officers outside the Senate gallery and at each entrance to the Capitol told The Texas Tribune they had not seen or found jars containing feces or urine, and multiple officers throughout the Capitol said they had not heard of any jars being found until a reporter mentioned it. Several officers also said they had not heard anything on the DPS radio system about jars of any excrement.

On social media and in interviews, abortion rights protesters questioned the report, calling it an attempt by DPS to bolster Republican credibility during a contentious debate that has drawn national attention.

The office of Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst referred questions about the seizure back to the DPS. The agency’s press office pointed to the news release and said it would not elaborate beyond that.

Sandie Haverlah, an Austin-based abortion rights activist, cast doubt on the assertion by the agency.

“There are hundreds of people out there posting everything they see on Twitter and Facebook," she said. "Certainly, out of 18 or 19 jars of this, a person would have put this out there. Even if you’re wearing a blue shirt, wouldn’t you post it? No one has said a word.”​

thanks, Sedan, maybe someday we'll know which story is true; one would think DPS officers would know, but they could also be covering it up so as not to give others ideas.

SmarterThanYou said:
again, you're trying to apply common sense to a government institution that only seems to understand zero tolerance. it just doesn't work.

oh yeah, good point...

Back