Should the government pay Zimmermans expenses?

Sholud the government pay for his defense?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Money

130826-zimmerman-hmed-11p.photoblog600.jpg

George Zimmerman will ask the state of Florida to reimburse him for as much as $300,000 in expenses he racked up successfully defending himself in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

Zimmerman and his legal team believe they are entitled to the refund because Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder July 13.

The motion, to be filed by Zimmerman's lead attorney, Mark O'Mara, would seek refunds for the hundreds of thousands of dollars the defense spent on fees for expert witnesses and court reporters for depositions, travel and other similar expenses.

The request is expected to be between $200,000 and $300,000.

Attorney fees for the defense team, including O'Mara, wouldn't be part of the motion.

The state Judicial Administrative Commission, which would be responsible for paying out the money if the request is approved.

Zimmerman's request would be based on a Florida law that says a defendant who's acquitted isn't liable for costs associated with his or her case. It must be approved by a judge or a clerk.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...e-of-florida-to-pay-for-defense-expenses?lite

Re: Sholud the government pay for his defense?

130826-zimmerman-hmed-11p.photoblog600.jpg

George Zimmerman will ask the state of Florida to reimburse him for as much as $300,000 in expenses he racked up successfully defending himself in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

Zimmerman and his legal team believe they are entitled to the refund because Zimmerman was acquitted of second-degree murder July 13.

The motion, to be filed by Zimmerman's lead attorney, Mark O'Mara, would seek refunds for the hundreds of thousands of dollars the defense spent on fees for expert witnesses and court reporters for depositions, travel and other similar expenses.

The request is expected to be between $200,000 and $300,000.

Attorney fees for the defense team, including O'Mara, wouldn't be part of the motion.

The state Judicial Administrative Commission, which would be responsible for paying out the money if the request is approved.

Zimmerman's request would be based on a Florida law that says a defendant who's acquitted isn't liable for costs associated with his or her case. It must be approved by a judge or a clerk.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...e-of-florida-to-pay-for-defense-expenses?lite

If that's what the law States...then yes. He should be reimbursed. The question is...will he in turn reimburse all of the donations to his defense fund from sympathetic citizens?

Does the law state he should?

Why should he pocket it? They knew the law in advance....the people donating didn't. If he wasn't acquitted, the lawyers would have gotten paid...and perhaps had a retainer for an appeal.

I think it would be the eight and honorable thing to do. Only a scumbag would keep that money.

Why should he pocket it? They knew the law in advance....the people donating didn't. If he wasn't acquitted, the lawyers would have gotten paid...and perhaps had a retainer for an appeal. I think it would be the eight and honorable thing to do. Only a scumbag would keep that money.

Because his life was disrupted, some would say ruined forever, by a show trial designed to mollify race-baiters.

If people gave money to him, it's his. They don't want it back as far as I know. None of your business, is it?

Because his life was disrupted, some would say ruined forever, by a show trial designed to mollify race-baiters.

If people gave money to him, it's his. They don't want it back as far as I know. None of your business, is it?

Who gives a shit if his life was disrupted? There are many people who have their lives disrupted by criminal charges. Most of which only has the option of a Public defender.

Who gives a shit if his life was disrupted? There are many people who have their lives disrupted by criminal charges. Most of which only has the option of a Public defender.

You seem to bear animus toward this man. May I remind you that he was acquitted?

You seem to bear animus toward this man. May I remind you that he was acquitted?

No...you bear animus to every black person in America...judging by your incessant threads about the evil that black folk do.

I have no animus towards Zimmerman. I think he screwed up. He knew the cops were on the way, he didn't have to leave his vehicle and the the policy of Neighborhood watch is consistent with those actions. He broke policy...simple as that.

If I break policy in my line of work and that disregard of policy causes harm to one of the people I am caring for....not only do I get fired for abuse, but the state police become involved and I get criminal charges filed against me.

Martin had every right to be out that night unmolested. If Zimmerman felt he was up to no good, he should have ended it it with the phone call and let the police handle it from there.

I've said all along that Zimmerman is not some monster. He just messed up.

LOL, your assertions are worthless without evidence, aren't they?

Produce some.

Zimmerman wasn't charged initially because there was no legal reason to do so.

Following someone isn't a crime.

Zimmerman defended himself against attack as far as anyone knows.

If Trayvons parents got donations from the public, should they also return them or be summarily judged by you?

No...you bear animus to every black person in America...judging by your incessant threads about the evil that black folk do.

I have no animus towards Zimmerman. I think he screwed up. He knew the cops were on the way, he didn't have to leave his vehicle and the the policy of Neighborhood watch is consistent with those actions. He broke policy...simple as that.

If I break policy in my line of work and that disregard of policy causes harm to one of the people I am caring for....not only do I get fired for abuse, but the state police become involved and I get criminal charges filed against me.

Martin had every right to be out that night unmolested. If Zimmerman felt he was up to no good, he should have ended it it with the phone call and let the police handle it from there.

I've said all along that Zimmerman is not some monster. He just messed up.
In hind sight, you may be partially correct, Zimmer also could have declared from a distance that he was armed, but the proven facts are that Trayvon doubled back and came out of the shadows on a dark night and hit Zimmer and took him down to the ground and pound, a stupid act that cost Trayvon dearly. The Police originally did not want to file charges, but The State forced the issue, therefore the State will have to pay. If the State refuses, then Zimmer needs to sue for even punitive damages, since Florida State Attorney Angela Corey needs to be taught a lesson for allowing politics to enter into the case. The fact that Zimmer was acquitted proved that the original decision not to file charges was correct and Corey was wrong. If I was Zimmer, I would file for millions based on what I just stated and take it all the way to The Supreme Court if necessary.

What Zimmerman should do and what he is entitled to are two different things. So which of us would turn down $300,000 legally owed to us. Like it or not, Zimmerman WAS FOUND not guilty.

The law is the law.

If Trayvon's parents don't return the money that members of the public gave them, are you saying they are dishonorable and characterless?

What money is that? Is that money going to be used to mount a civil suit? If so....and they win? Yeah...they should return it.

Why should he pocket it? They knew the law in advance....the people donating didn't. If he wasn't acquitted, the lawyers would have gotten paid...and perhaps had a retainer for an appeal.

I think it would be the eight and honorable thing to do. Only a scumbag would keep that money.

Voila'. Didn't you get when he and his wife lied about how much money they had amassed, that he was about profiting off of murder? I hope he gets it. Florida deserves it.

What Zimmerman should do and what he is entitled to are two different things. So which of us would turn down $300,000 legally owed to us. Like it or not, Zimmerman WAS FOUND not guilty.

The law is the law.

Ha! As if that matters. Like O.J. Simpson, he's guilty as sin, in the court of public opinion, and will remain so, until his last day.

Back