Sen. Grahm introduces Abortion Bill

cawacko

I am one of those libertarian-leaning Republicans where abortion is not an issue to me. When I talk with my Republican friends (on the West Coast) abortion is never a topic of discussion. I understand other parts of the country feel differently. Graham says the social issues need to be a part of the GOP strategy for the '14 election. It seems to me social issues helped cost the GOP the Virginia's Governors race. A Tea Party guy talking about anti-sodomy laws? WTF is that?

I understand as a Republican I will differ on some social issues compared to the rest of the party. Fair enough. I just hope we don't get these extreme idiotic statements on social issues as we have in the past that make these people unelectable to all but the most socially conservative of individuals.

Graham Introduces Abortion Bill

Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina is ramping up his pro-life efforts, and today unveiled the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which would prohibit abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

“These babies who have been taken out of the womb at 20 weeks can feel pain, and some have survived,” Graham says, in an interview with National Review Online. “We need to get the courts to establish this as a legitimate state interest to protect unborn children.”

Graham hopes Senate Republicans will support the bill, though he acknowledges some of his colleagues have raised constitutional concerns. “My view is that it’s constitutional,” he says. “We just need to vote, and then we can let the courts figure that out. We’re not the Supreme Court, we’re elected officials.”

As NRO’s Alec Torres has reported, “pro-life lawmakers expressed concern with the idea of this legislation, citing fears of congressional overreach. Senator Mike Lee (R., Utah), for example, worries that Congress does not have the authority to pass such a bill under the Commerce Clause, as it has been proposed.”

Graham, who is up for reelection next year, says it’s important to bring social issues back into the fold as the midterms approach. “The goal is to have a vote in 2014, to make sure we vote on it,” he says. “It’s worth having this debate. The more people understand what we’re trying to do, the more public support will grow over time.

“Due to the Democrats’ control of the Senate, it’ll be tough to get a majority,” he adds. “But we should push for a vote.”

Graham worked closely with the Susan B. Anthony List and the National Right to Life Committee to craft the legislation. In June, the House passed a similar bill by a 228–196 margin.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/363387/graham-introduces-abortion-bill-robert-costa

Why is pain a standard? What is this standard based on?

Parents intentionally cause their already born children pain all the time....for vaccinations, medical procedures, spankings, etc. So apparently there are legitimate reasons to do so and it's not abuse. Will this law extend to the already born in order to 'protect them'?

The most basic of organisms feel pain, yet have no consciousness. So pain is no standard for any kind of personification.

When challenged, Graham says “My view is that it’s constitutional,” he says. “We just need to vote, and then we can let the courts figure that out. We’re not the Supreme Court, we’re elected officials.” What a load of crap and an irresponsible waste of taxpayer $$ and court time.

Constitutional? How so? How does this proposal change the current federal Constitutional ruling on abortion?

Graham is trying to bolster his "conservative" street cred to try to hold off a primary.

"See look at me, I am trying to protect the unborn. Ignore all my other anti conservative stances. Don't pay attention to my amnesty efforts"

It is cynical beyond belief, but I expect no less. Hopefully the great people of South Carolina won't fall for it.

He knows this bill has no prayer of advancing in the Senate

ILA, does he support illegal immigrant amnesty? (Sorry, not up on SC politics)

He 1000% supports amnesty for illegal immigrants and he has been getting pummeled for it. Now all of a sudden he is up for re-election and he is offering a pro life bill? I don't buy it. I am not questioning whether or not he is pro-life, but I don't recall him ever leading the charge over the issue.

Maybe he thinks that like many on the left, the right are one issue ponies.

I hate republicans like him more than I hate liberals

In totally unrelated news (because Huckleberry Closetcase really really cares about abortion and totally wouldn't use such a serious issue for personal political gain):

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, who is up for re-election in 2014 and has Republican opposition, saw his approval rating drop from the February Winthrop Poll from 71.6% among Republicans and those independents who lean toward the GOP to 45.2%. Among registered voters, the approval rating is 37.4%.

http://www.winthrop.edu/winthroppoll/default.aspx?id=9804

Last edited:
He 1000% supports amnesty for illegal immigrants and he has been getting pummeled for it. Now all of a sudden he is up for re-election and he is offering a pro life bill? I don't buy it. I am not questioning whether or not he is pro-life, but I don't recall him ever leading the charge over the issue.

Maybe he thinks that like many on the left, the right are one issue ponies.

I hate republicans like him more than I hate liberals

Ha Ha.

Thanks. It is a weird stance for a hard-line conservative.

Ha Ha.

Thanks. It is a weird stance for a hard-line conservative.

Thats because he's not a hard-line conservative.....he'll just bend in any direction to get elected .... just like the pinheads....

Hes a Republican we can do without.

Oh for God's sake, this was just on the local news here.....3000 miles away. (Because it's sensationalist crap)

Quoted from Graham, "if they can feel pain, we should be able to protect them from that."

Moron....we can already do that for our pets...you think we cant do that for a fetus if necessary?

I am one of those libertarian-leaning Republicans where abortion is not an issue to me. When I talk with my Republican friends (on the West Coast) abortion is never a topic of discussion. I understand other parts of the country feel differently. Graham says the social issues need to be a part of the GOP strategy for the '14 election. It seems to me social issues helped cost the GOP the Virginia's Governors race. A Tea Party guy talking about anti-sodomy laws? WTF is that?

I understand as a Republican I will differ on some social issues compared to the rest of the party. Fair enough. I just hope we don't get these extreme idiotic statements on social issues as we have in the past that make these people unelectable to all but the most socially conservative of individuals.

Graham Introduces Abortion Bill

Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina is ramping up his pro-life efforts, and today unveiled the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which would prohibit abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

“These babies who have been taken out of the womb at 20 weeks can feel pain, and some have survived,” Graham says, in an interview with National Review Online. “We need to get the courts to establish this as a legitimate state interest to protect unborn children.”

Graham hopes Senate Republicans will support the bill, though he acknowledges some of his colleagues have raised constitutional concerns. “My view is that it’s constitutional,” he says. “We just need to vote, and then we can let the courts figure that out. We’re not the Supreme Court, we’re elected officials.”

As NRO’s Alec Torres has reported, “pro-life lawmakers expressed concern with the idea of this legislation, citing fears of congressional overreach. Senator Mike Lee (R., Utah), for example, worries that Congress does not have the authority to pass such a bill under the Commerce Clause, as it has been proposed.”

Graham, who is up for reelection next year, says it’s important to bring social issues back into the fold as the midterms approach. “The goal is to have a vote in 2014, to make sure we vote on it,” he says. “It’s worth having this debate. The more people understand what we’re trying to do, the more public support will grow over time.

“Due to the Democrats’ control of the Senate, it’ll be tough to get a majority,” he adds. “But we should push for a vote.”

Graham worked closely with the Susan B. Anthony List and the National Right to Life Committee to craft the legislation. In June, the House passed a similar bill by a 228–196 margin.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/363387/graham-introduces-abortion-bill-robert-costa

yeap like I have been saying you cant win with the tea party or without them.

your party is fucked

Back