Republicans absent from March on Washington

ghwb and gwb i can understand, but the rest of the gop, surely they must of known that this date and its attendant celebration was coming. i think that you are correct they either did not care or were more worried about their base/constituents

No, I think they were concerned with the reception. I personally believe the leadership should have been there along with all the black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian representatives to say, "We embrace the message" of MLK Jr." Even the Dems are concerned that the GOP actually is the party of minorities when it comes to office holders.

The GOP could have done that one better, inviting all the blogger journalists and political aspirees to appear with them. You know, those called 'oreos' and such now. MLK Jr. would not have gone that route. Folks do know that.

But the GOP was a no show.

Does anyone think any Republicans would have been welcomed by the race-baiters on the left, who betray MLKs' dream when they judge people not by the content of their character, but by the color of their skin?

LOL at race-baiters pretending they wanted any Republicans to join their orgy of lock-step lying liberalism.

orgy of lock-step lying liberalism? please provide a link or make sure that you are stating an opinion.

are you trying to tell us/me that antiblack racism no longer exists?

and not just antiblack, but also antiminority discrimination.

how about the discriminatory voting laws being enacted by republication controlled states? how about their orgy of antiprogressive legislation?

Were any Republicans invited?

How do we know there were no Republicans in attendance?

communications were sent to members of the gop leadership to speak at the podium with the other speakers and all were declined. please provide a link showing how this did not happen.

Were any Republicans invited?

How do we know there were no Republicans in attendance?

Yes they were, they begged off. http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/08/28/at-50th-anniversary-of-march-no-gop-speakers/

I think we can all agree that GW had a valid excuse, the rest?

...Former President George W. Bush, who was invited but missed the event because he is still recovering from heart surgery, issued a statement calling on “every American to help hasten the day when Dr. King’s vision is made real in every community – when what truly matters is not the color of a person’s skin, but the content of their character.”

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R., Va.), who earlier this year retraced the 1965 march from Birmingham to Selma, Ala., called for Americans to “rededicate ourselves to ensuring equality for every American.” And South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, the only black senator, described himself as “living my mother’s American Dream.”

The Republican National Committee went a step further by organizing its own event at the Capitol Hill Club to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the civil rights landmark. A number of black conservatives attended the event, including former U.S. Rep. Allen West of Florida and T.W. Shannon, speaker of the Oklahoma House of Representatives.

Former NAACP Chairman Julian Bond told MSNBC Wednesday that event organizers invited “a long list of Republicans to come,” but each declined. A spokesman for Speaker John Boehner acknowledged that Mr. Boehner was invited to speak but instead had marked the anniversary by speaking at a July event commemorating the march in the Rotunda of the Capitol, with other top lawmakers including Senate Majority Leader Sen. Harry Reid (D., Nev.).

Not so much. While no longer much of a Republican, this type of nonsense bothers me. Just as much as Obama's making everything about race.

The Republicans have a good record to deal with, they seem oblivious to it.

Back