Republican Ego drives shutdown, its about demanding respect?

The shutdown is basically self-sustaining at this point and it completely untethered from whatever it was the Republicans initially thought it would achieve. They're flailing and it has now become a dick-swinging contest that they have to "win," even if they don't know what winning means. Sad, really.

1385614_682664588420151_1114290117_n.jpg

The Republicans have already basically admitted they don't even really know what they want...

They gave up every negotiating position they had by bidding against themselves... so I guess we simply have to wait until enough of them are willing to either 1) Admit defeat or 2) a large enough group blames another group and side with the Democrats.

Do the Republicans have a current demand that would make them willing to pass a CR?

I know the Presidents position, a clean bill, but what is the Republicans demand?

Do the Republicans have a current demand that would make them willing to pass a CR?

I know the Presidents position, a clean bill, but what is the Republicans demand?

Last I heard it was postponing the mandate, but I think that was in return for only 6 weeks of funding.

The really sad thing is the amount everyone is fighting over is low - close to the Ryan budget. The Repubs actually have already won on the spending front. Sad.

Last I heard it was postponing the mandate, but I think that was in return for only 6 weeks of funding.

The really sad thing is the amount everyone is fighting over is low - close to the Ryan budget. The Repubs actually have already won on the spending front. Sad.

The Republicans got everything they wanted except Obamacare.

Wrong; Obama and Harry Reids arrogance and desire to hurt Americans to achieve a political victory in 2014 are; but you're a hyper partisan dumbass, of course you would blame the minority party.

I don't deny that you are correct about Obama and Reid's willingness to hurt Americans to achieve a political victory in 14', and I don't like it. They are doing it by forcing the Republican Party to show their true colors.

The Republicans never should have given them this opportunity.

Just before the shutdown the Republicans tried to propose "a compromise" and delay the bill for a year.....Of course this was just another attempt to end it, basically the 43rd attempt. And once the shutdown was here they proposed "government workers should be forced to have it too". Of course this was too late. They had months and months to negotiate and only tried to repeal it 42 times. With the last second slip of paper they tried to make it look like it was Democrats fault for "not compromising on the bill" and a few select sheeple believed it.

I think their proposal is a good one. But I also don't think you conduct business with a closed Government, you conduct it with an open Government. If Obama agrees to this it will basically condone shutting down the Government making them think this is an ok way to act making it more likely they will do it again in the future.

Open the Gov and make your request Republicans. The Left has been saying it will negotiate on changes for a VERY long time. Just not under these idiotic conditions.

I beg to disagree OP .

its come from their hate of this country and their wish to destroy it.

They followed grover until even grover had to stop and think for a second about the fact that killing the government of this country outright also kills the economy.

Now poor grovy is having second thoughts about killing the government since it mean it will ruin his portfolio

Just before the shutdown the Republicans tried to propose "a compromise" and delay the bill for a year.....Of course this was just another attempt to end it, basically the 43rd attempt. And once the shutdown was here they proposed "government workers should be forced to have it too". Of course this was too late. They had months and months to negotiate and only tried to repeal it 42 times. With the last second slip of paper they tried to make it look like it was Democrats fault for "not compromising on the bill" and a few select sheeple believed it.

I think their proposal is a good one. But I also don't think you conduct business with a closed Government, you conduct it with an open Government. If Obama agrees to this it will basically condone shutting down the Government making them think this is an ok way to act making it more likely they will do it again in the future.

Open the Gov and make your request Republicans. The Left has been saying it will negotiate on changes for a VERY long time. Just not under these idiotic conditions.

Agreed, and if the Republicans are afraid to give up a bargaining chip... pass a 6 week clean CR, then engage in honest negotiations for those 6 weeks, they would not have lost anything.

When those cable shows talk about an "inside the beltway" mentality, this is exactly what they're referring to.

It's just a big game in there for these guys. Capitol Hill may as well be Mount Olympus, or another planet. They go to nice parties and fundraisers and never have to rub shoulders with "the folks" until they have to campaign again, and it's all just about besting the opposition - not what's best for the people.

I don't deny that you are correct about Obama and Reid's willingness to hurt Americans to achieve a political victory in 14', and I don't like it. They are doing it by forcing the Republican Party to show their true colors.

The Republicans never should have given them this opportunity.

They represent their districts and constituents; not Obama, Harry Reid or Nancy Pelosi.

Back