Racism and the George Zimmerman trial

poet

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../07/16/racism-and-the-george-zimmerman-trial/

It’s not racist to notice race or point out racism. To say it is is an attempt to silence those who would talk about it,”social commentator Toure’, my MSNBC colleague, reminded me in an e-mail yesterday. The author of “Who’s Afraid of Post-Blackness?” added, “Race is like the weather. We tend to talk about the weather when it’s at an extreme but it’s always present, impacting our days. Race is similar.”

CAPEHART: "The emailed accusations of racism for expressing a racial concern about the killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman were expressed in blunt terms. As was their certitude that Trayvon was “up to no good.” Here are excerpts from some of those I've received. Their e-mail addresses are not included. No need to subject the poor souls to their own brand of vitriol. Also, their bad grammar and misspellings remain. No need for me to give them a helping hand.

I was reminded of Toure’s words as I went through the contents of my inbox from Friday (the day the case went to the jury) through yesterday. The accusations of racism for expressing a racial concern about the killing of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman were expressed in blunt terms. As was their certitude that Trayvon was “up to no good.”

Below are excerpts from some of the choice e-mails I’ve received from people reacting to what I’ve written or said on television. Their e-mail addresses are not included. No need to subject the poor souls to their own brand of vitriol. Also, their bad grammar and misspellings remain. No need for me to give them a helping hand. Reading some of the missives was like walking barefoot, through a sewer".

(Emails at the link site)

The highlighted above to me is the most important note, and the reason I highlighted it. My pointing out race and racism does not denote or characterize me as "racist", as so many conservatards and rightists here have asserted. And as Toure pointed out, "to say that it is, is an attempt to silence those who would talk about it". -poet

Last edited:
yeap

their plan is to make the discussion of race relation so UGLY that it never gets discussed.

their plan has failed.

Back