Question for the Right Wing; Tell Me What You Know About Unions

Anti-Party

Tea Is The New Kool-Aid
Ok Right Wing. Tell me what you know about Unions...Maybe discuss why we need/don't need them today. Maybe tell me about the reason they came around. Tell me about the flaws. And tell me, should we end them because they have flaws, or fix the flaws.

I think an afternoon drive through the Mad Max Bartertown-like ruins of Detroit would tell anyone everything they need to know about unions.

It was facetious kid. Maybe answer the topic? Not smart enough?

Oh you will NEVER get anything even APPROACHING a straight answer from USF.

His sole tactic is to ignore any questions you put to him while trying desperately to divert the discussion with snarky derisive "questions" unrelated to the topic

I think an afternoon drive through the Mad Max Bartertown-like ruins of Detroit would tell anyone everything they need to know about unions.

Yes.

It tells me that despite having rank and file union members living amongst it's neighborhoods, the thriving metropolis of Detroit still managed to succumb to the petty greed of Corporate CEO's, whose insatiable need for more destroyed the once great city of Detroit.

Thankfully there are HUNDREDS of other cities in the USA FILLED with union workers, that are still growing and thriving...a testament to the rank and file union member and the security and stability they provide the community.

Well, pretend we have never been to Detroit and explain to us what you know about unions.

1st Amendment grants the people the right to assemble peaceably. Thus, we cannot abolish unions, nor can we stop them from acting out unless they disrupt the peace, act violently, etc.

As for the flaws, I think the fact that private sector unions are shrinking in membership shows that private sector employees are growing more and more aware of the causes. People in public sector unions realize how good they have it, and continue to fill the ranks of membership.

Unions once served a solid purpose that was driven out of truly horrendous working conditions and exploitative wages, due to the fact that there was no other mechanism in law or society to address them. This was a positive and was necessary.

However, today we have laws that govern working hazards, we have entire agencies dedicated to it, we have laws governing minimum wages, minimum working ages, we even have laws dictating racial quotas and hiring requirements. In addition society as a whole is empowered with better means to focus spotlights on poorly managed or exploitative employers and such instances help keep the "norm" at an acceptable level. Unions are no longer providing the necessary democratic relationship between worker and employer in the market.

Now Unions focus more now on reducing productivity and lowering accountability while increasing wages despite market forces. This means, they arent protesting human rights violations (which at the time, was the primary concern, people were working and dying while working with little to no compensation), they arent protesting fair labor practices.... instead they focus on how an individual can be hired and then never be fired, which is not conducive to a capitalistic economic structure. This might be why there are hardly any industries thriving that were primarily employed by union workers, it also may be why we seeing municipalities with heavily unionized employee arrangements are failing and crumbling, in fact, most union industries are dying or have already died. Its almost as if the biggest legacy of Unions is how they have killed just about every industry that they once thrived in. This is why Unions are actually losing power and losing members... I mean, members that are unemployed because of union activities or agreements dont really provide much power to the union.

With a large part of the US workforce retiring, and the US economy not so dependent on manufacturing (or even that relevant), the union necessity is fading fast. The current trajectory of the Union in my opinion is only downward, especially as specific national needs continue to perform badly, (such as education and the effect of Teachers Unions)... so.. I dont think they will disappear entirely, but the nation isnt seeing that special necessity for Unions any longer, nor are consumers, or workers...

Yes.

It tells me that despite having rank and file union members living amongst it's neighborhoods, the thriving metropolis of Detroit still managed to succumb to the petty greed of Corporate CEO's, whose insatiable need for more destroyed the once great city of Detroit.

Thankfully there are HUNDREDS of other cities in the USA FILLED with union workers, that are still growing and thriving...a testament to the rank and file union member and the security and stability they provide the community.

Oh, I'm sure there are 100s of cities in the USA filled with union workers.... but just one question; How many of those workers are NOT members of municipal workers' unions?

Unions killed the dockworkers's jobs in NYC. They don't even exist any more.

Airline unions are practically non-existent any longer. When I was a kid growing up near JFK, so many dads worked for the airlines and it was a good paying job to aspire to. But, they overplayed their hand. As always.

Yes.

Oh, I'm sure there are 100s of cities in the USA filled with union workers.... but just one question; How many of those workers are NOT members of municipal workers' unions?

Unions killed the dockworkers's jobs in NYC. They don't even exist any more.

Airline unions are practically non-existent any longer. When I was a kid growing up near JFK, so many dads worked for the airlines and it was a good paying job to aspire to. But, they overplayed their hand. As always.

His sole tactic is to ignore any questions you put to him while trying desperately to divert the discussion with snarky derisive "questions" unrelated to the topic

The thread addresses "right-wingers", you don't qualify to comment here.

Of course it's not anywhere near as shameful as your continued dodging of the OP's question, but then, "shameful" is pretty much your middle name, now isn't it?

The topic is for the "right-wingers," your 2 cents is irrelevant.

Yes.

The topic of this thread is for comment by "right-wingers," who ask you for your 2 cents worth?

The thread addresses "right-wingers", you don't qualify to comment here.

I may not qualify to comment based on the thread title, but having watched USF play the same petty game for years now, I am eminently qualified to comment on USF's incessant attempts to derail another discussion.

Yea, he proved it when he didn't know what facetious was.

Back