Presidential Library Question

cawacko

Random question. Would you visit the Presidential Library of a President who was the opposite party of you or a President you didn't like?

And by visit I don't mean plan a trip to go see it but rather if you happen to be in the area where it is located.

Sure, why not? But then I love libraries because I'm a gigantic fucking nerd.

I was at dinner last night talking with this girl and I was telling her about my recent trip to Dallas to see my wife's family. I mentioned going to SMU to see where my father used to be a professor and that we stopped by the new Bush Presidential Library. This woman's jaw just dropped and she goes "OMG, are you a Repub?" with sort of disdain.

I had never really consider going to a Presidential Library as a partisan thing and only supporters would go but that was this woman's first thought. I was just curious if others felt like her. (I'm not trying to argue her response was a good or a bad one I just want to see who else shares it)

I was at dinner last night talking with this girl and I was telling her about my recent trip to Dallas to see my wife's family. I mentioned going to SMU to see where my father used to be a professor and that we stopped by the new Bush Presidential Library. This woman's jaw just dropped and she goes "OMG, are you a Repub?" with sort of disdain.

I had never really consider going to a Presidential Library as a partisan thing and only supporters would go but that was this woman's first thought. I was just curious if others felt like her. (I'm not trying to argue her response was a good or a bad one I just want to see who else shares it)

Why would you willing eat with a moron? I don't even let them in my house.

Random question. Would you visit the Presidential Library of a President who was the opposite party of you or a President you didn't like?

And by visit I don't mean plan a trip to go see it but rather if you happen to be in the area where it is located.

Yes, I'd go. Then as we walked through I'd point, laugh and make snarky comments about the bum.

Edit: I'd do this if it were the bush or reagan libraries only. The others I don't care that much about.

I visited JFK's library when I was in Boston. It never occurred to me that as a Republican I shouldn't go.

Sure I would. These libraries are more than just monuments to their egos. They are also historical archives of tremendous value.

Sure. I saw Eisenhower's library as a kid; can't remember a lot, but I certainly didn't dwell upon which party he was in.

Haven't had the chance to go see one since, but whatever the party, it's a piece of history.

I admit, I might have to wait a few years to go see Bush Jr's - let it and history settle down a bit. But I'd see Reagan's or Bush Sr's and not think of it as a partisan thing.

Bush gives some people a visceral reaction.

I agree with you though.

I would go to ANY presidents library if it were close.

In many ways its not really about them

Back