Poll: Most under-30 Arkansans back gay marriage

Timshel

A(n) (in)famous Republican once said, "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" The answer appears to be yes, they is (sic).

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/jul/08/poll-most-under-30-arkansans-back-gay-marriage/

The head of the Arkansas Economic Development Commission called on the state to legalize gay marriage Monday, alongside the Little Rock release of a Human Rights Campaign poll that shows the majority of Arkansans under age 30 back the move.

Grant Tennille said Arkansas should treat all of its citizens "equally under the law."

"Arkansas has a tortured history with this concept," he said. "But we have an opportunity here before us to move first, to be a leader in this country and, maybe more importantly, the South."
Tennille said there is "no doubt" marriage equality would lead to economic growth in the state, noting some companies won't locate in a state without such law. He said Arkansas also loses some of its "best and brightest" who may go to other states where gay marriage is already legal.

"Increasingly, particularly in the area of high-tech, high-skilled knowledge-based jobs, companies look for locations where all of their employees can be welcomed, all of their employees can become part of the community and all of their employees will be treated equally," he said. "I think the first state in the South that moves in that direction will have a leg up ... If we want to move the state forward, this is a simple no-brainer."

Tennille said he did not speak directly with Gov. Mike Beebe about the issue and doesn't expect to change his mind. Beebe has spoken in favor of the 2004 amendment that defined marriage in Arkansas as between a man and a woman.

The bipartisan poll, released Monday by the Human Rights Campaign at Little Rock news conference, showed 61 percent of Arkansans under 30 support "marriage equality" and that 63 percent believe it's wrong to fire someone on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

Chad Griffin, president of the rights group and an Arkadelphia native, said the group is committed to creating "full equality" in Arkansas and the rest of the country.
The poll surveyed 600 Arkansan adults from June 26-30 after the Supreme Court struck down part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

The survey, commissioned by the Human Rights Campaign and conducted by Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research and Target Point Consulting, carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

Print Headline: Rights group leader unveils results in Little Rock

Last edited:
So all under 30s should get their way now? Is that how things work? What does the poll of 45-50 year old midget factory workers say? Come on. Be serious

I Love America
Free Markets Rule
This message is hidden because I Love America is on your ignore list.

The Economic Development Commission is behind this because free markets rule and flourish when free of regulation by fascists.

To state the obvious times are completely different now. Back in the day gay people lived closeted lives. You didn't see a lot of gay people or gay couples on TV and in film. Today that has obviously completely changed. Young people have grown up knowing more gay people and definitely seeing more gay people on TV shows they watch. That doesn't mean all young people support gay marriage but I don't find it surprising at all that more young people are supportive of it.

To state the obvious times are completely different now. Back in the day gay people lived closeted lives. You didn't see a lot of gay people or gay couples on TV and in film. Today that has obviously completely changed. Young people have grown up knowing more gay people and definitely seeing more gay people on TV shows they watch. That doesn't mean all young people support gay marriage but I don't find it surprising at all that more young people are supportive of it.

This. And it has become so gratuitous that it is sickening. It is like every show needs to have its token gay on it now. The upside is I watch less TV these days. But, can't get enough Duck Dynasty

so tell me cons do you actually like that taste of tar?

You just keep gulping down mouthful after mouthful and seem to have NO interest in freeing yourselves from the tar pit you jumped into.

Surveying "under 30s" are important because they will be ruling the country one of these days. Nice to know even in the south they are getting more tolerant than their parents.

You know, people used to find having African American actors on TV "sickening". The first interracial kiss "sickened" a lot of bigots.

Gays/lesbians on TV aren't sickening any more than they are in "real life".

The original "Star Trek" was quite a progressive show for its day, actually.

We still have a long ways to go before TV fully reflects the awesome diversity of our society. Before we stop stereotyping people based on gender, race, sexual orientation on TV shows. (I personally dislike TV shows that feature men who don't know how to take care of babies - really? I think men know how to change diapers just as well as women.)

But of course, ILA, you can change the channel when you see something you don't like; we all can do that.

so tell me cons do you actually like that taste of tar?

You just keep gulping down mouthful after mouthful and seem to have NO interest in freeing yourselves from the tar pit you jumped into.

I am very comfortable with my position regarding gay marriage. I don't see any reason to change regardless of what other people think. I think it hurts society.

You have a blessed day. :)

The internets are changing the world.

today a white kid in the suburbs of Atlanta can have a facebook friend who lives in downtown Detroit.

the lies of their creepy assed cracker parents have to face the reality of who other human being really are.

stupidity dies and some cry.

me I celebrate

Surveying "under 30s" are important because they will be ruling the country one of these days. Nice to know even in the south they are getting more tolerant than their parents.

If we a apply a little math and commonsense to the discussion, it should be noted that the parents of these under 30s are Baby Boomers. Shocking that the enlightened ones are as you claim not very tolerant. Just sayin.

(I personally dislike TV shows that feature men who don't know how to take care of babies - really? I think men know how to change diapers just as well as women.)

Maybe when they stop portraying the man as an incompetent boob?

But of course, ILA, you can change the channel when you see something you don't like; we all can do that.

I think I mentioned that that is what I do. Like I said, I watch much less TV these days as options are slim. Can't find too many shows without the gratuitous gay person. Oddly enough since you bring up stereotypes, in the few shows in which doesn't show gay man as effeminate. Just sayin.

Have a great day

Your representation makes it seem that Hollywood pushed it on us. This plays into the ignorant conspiracy theories of fascist who claim it is a Marxist (sometimes Jewish or Zionist) plot.

You live in the San Francisco Bay area. Do you honestly believe Hollywood was ahead in representing the reality of homosexuals in your community? I lived there for several years myself and Hollywood was waaaayyyyy behind. Even before that, living back here there were far more openly homosexuals among my family, friends and coworkers than was represented on TV or in film. Hollywood finally quit hiding the reality and that helped to further open minds but they were never pushing the envelope.

You know, people used to find having African American actors on TV "sickening". The first interracial kiss "sickened" a lot of bigots.

Gays/lesbians on TV aren't sickening any more than they are in "real life".

The original "Star Trek" was quite a progressive show for its day, actually.

We still have a long ways to go before TV fully reflects the awesome diversity of our society. Before we stop stereotyping people based on gender, race, sexual orientation on TV shows. (I personally dislike TV shows that feature men who don't know how to take care of babies - really? I think men know how to change diapers just as well as women.)

They are a key demographic for businesses too.

Business leaders across the country are beginning to push to repeal these bans because it is bad for business. It hinders them in attracting or retaining talent. Most young people, especially the educated ones, don't want to live in states known for their trailer parks and repressive cultures. Such an image also makes it harder to do business outside of the state.

Your representation makes it seem that Hollywood pushed it on us. This plays into the ignorant conspiracy theories of fascist who claim it is a Marxist (sometimes Jewish or Zionist) plot.

You live in the San Francisco Bay area. Do you honestly believe Hollywood was ahead in representing the reality of homosexuals in your community? I lived there for several years myself and Hollywood was waaaayyyyy behind. Even before that, living back here there were far more openly homosexuals among my family, friends and coworkers than was represented on TV or in film. Hollywood finally quit hiding the reality and that helped to further open minds but they were never pushing the envelope.

That's your interpretation of what I said. I didn't say Hollywood pushed it on us. Not every place in America is San Francisco where we have a large gay population that lives openly (and even that didn't really happen until the late '60's and the '70's). So people who live in areas where there aren't a lot of gays may get more exposure to gay folks via TV and see they aren't all this bad stuff some may say about them. So you can call it Hollywood pushing something I say it's simple exposure.

Back