Obama's Last Bombing of Libya for Old Time's Sake on the Way Out

anatta

100% recycled karma
The Defense Department announced today that the US bombed two Islamic State camps “28 miles southwest of Sirte” last night. The “precision airstrikes” are the first American bombing missions in Libya since Dec. 19, 2016, when the US announced an end to Operation Odyssey Lightning, which helped clear the jihadists from Sirte. Both B-2 bombers and drones were used in the air raids, according to the Associated Press.

“While we are still evaluating the results of the strikes, the initial assessment indicates they were successful,” Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a statement. “This action was authorized by the president as an extension of the successful operation the U.S. military conducted last year to support Libyan forces in freeing Sirte from ISIL [Islamic State] control.”

The strikes were intended to disrupt the jihadists’ attempts to reorganize and establish a new safe haven in Libya. The camps were located in a “remote desert” area, but the Islamic State likely intended to use them to launch operations in more populated areas along the Mediterranean coast, including in Sirte.

The Defense Department did not say how many jihadists were suspected of operating in the camps, however officials told FOX News that an estimated 85 fighters were killed in the attack. But the bombing missions demonstrate that even though Abu Bakr al Baghdadi’s loyalists lost Sirte, they still maintain a foothold in the North African country.

US forces launched 495 “precision airstrikes” in an around Sirte between August and December of 2016 as part of Operation Odyssey Lightning. The bombings targeted “Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Devices, heavy guns, tanks, command and control centers and fighting positions,” according to United States Africa Command. The airstrikes supported local Libyan fighters aligned with the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA). The Libyan ground forces fought as part of the “Solid Structure” operations room, which brought together militiamen from Misrata and elsewhere in Libya. Special Forces from Western countries also reportedly took part in battle.

Sirte was one of the three most important cities in the Islamic State’s so-called caliphate and the most significant location under their control outside of Iraq and Syria. Prior to his demise in an airstrike last year, Islamic State spokesman Abu Muhammad al Adnani referred to Sirte as being on par with Raqqa, Syria and Mosul, Iraq.

The jihadists have vowed to fight on in Libya despite their loss of Sirte. Late last year, the group published an interview with a man known as Sheikh Abu Hudhayfah al-Muhajir, who was identified as the wali (or governor) of the organization’s self-declared “province” in Libya. [See FDD’s Long War Journal report, Pentagon: Islamic State has lost its safe haven in Sirte, Libya.]

Muhajir was defiant, saying his men “will not be defeated” and the trials they are enduring in Libya are intended “to separate the good from the evil and the truthful from the claimants.” The Islamic State is making the same argument across the board as it loses ground in Iraq and Syria. Whereas the group once argued that it was “remaining and expanding,” it now says its followers are suffering for a divine cause.

The “detachments of the mujahidin” are “spread today throughout the deserts of Libya,” Muhajir said, and they will make their enemies “taste severe hardship.” He vowed that they “will reclaim the cities and areas once more, by Allah’s power and strength.”

Muhajir was asked about the Islamic State’s strength in “regions outside of Sirte.”
He claimed that the number of “mujahid brothers in the Libyan wilayat [province] continue to be…abundant.” Their “covert units are scattered throughout all the cities and regions, and their detachments cruise the deserts both east and west.” He hinted at the Islamic State’s presence elsewhere in Libya by mentioning Benghazi in passing.
The loss of Sirte is merely a “temporary trial,” Muhajir asserted, and these days “will be followed by conquest and consolidation.”
The American bombings last night were intended to disrupt the Islamic State’s plan for a comeback.
http://www.longwarjournal.org/archi...-islamic-state-camps-south-of-sirte-libya.php
 
More than 100 munitions were dropped by two US B-2 stealth bombers that were flown all the way from a base in Missouri for the mission.

Journalists were shown surveillance footage from the air of Isis fighters on the ground, moving shells and rockets between vehicles covered in desert camouflage.

Peter Cook, the Pentagon press secretary, said the operation was carried out around 25 miles southwest of the group’s former stronghold of Sirte on Wednesday night.

Militants had gathered there after fleeing the US-backed assault that drove them out of the coastal city “in order to reorganise”, he added.

“They posed a security threat to Libya, the region, and US national interests,” Mr Cook said.

sirte5.jpg

Misrata Brigades ( GNA fighters) in Battle for Sirte against ISIS

The mission was authorised directly by Barack Obama in his last days as President, having given military support to Libyan militas’ effort to retake Sirte last year.

His successor has been unclear on his position over Libya, hitting out at America’s support for British and French-led efforts to oust Muammar Gaddafi.

“We would be so much better off if Gaddafi would be in charge right now,” Donald Trump said on the campaign trail last year.

Libya has been in a state of conflict and lawlessness since Gaddafi was killed in the 2011 civil war, with the fragile new Government of National Accord struggling to exert control over swathes of the country still controlled by a plethora of warring militias.

“If the Libyans could settle their internal differences they would make quick work of Isis,” Mr Carter said.
:palm:
“As long as the conditions of civil war are there, the Libyans don’t have any unity. For now, under these conditions, our help is invaluable and we are providing it.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...on-campaign-islamic-state-daesh-a7535341.html
 
B-2 and Hellfire missiles used

MQ-9 armed drones also participated in the strikes, using Hellfire missiles to hit targets that remained after the initial bombardment.

The U.S. military has other aircraft based much closer to Libya than Missouri, but the Pentagon chose the B-2s for their ability to drop many bombs in a short time span and loiter overhead for a long time, Ryder said.

Each plane can carry 40,000 pounds, and up to 80 500-pound bombs known as Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAMs). The B-2 has not been used in combat since 2011, when they they were part of Operation Odyssey Dawn.

imrs.php


https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...bers-9a:homepage/story&utm_term=.9f50601248f0
 
Back
Top