Obama's Detroit Bailout Causes Others To Ask Where Is Our Bailout

StormX

Banned
Who launched a hive of hornets into Rep. Jerry McNerney’s normally staid bonnet? The Stockton-area Democrat just launched on President Obama for giving $320 million Friday to Detroit, but nada coming to Stockton. McNerney said he contacted the White House after Obama promised to reach out to the nation’s worst economically-depressed cities, but got nothing in return.

Or, as J-Mac put it: “Stockton has been left behind and ignored by the White House. Unfortunately, this continues the trend of your Administration neglecting California’s San Joaquin Valley over the past four years.”

McNerney said the federal government has blown off Stockton for years.

“The Department of Housing and Urban Development acknowledged that Stockton is owed $1.2 million for an EDI/BEDI grant, but has done nothing to reconcile the money owed. Furthermore, the city is owed approximately $10 million for a flood control project that is completed, but no funds have been directed to the city since fiscal year 2006.

“Despite these broken promises and clear evidence that Stockton is in need of economic revitalization,” McNerney wrote, “your administration is focused solely on Detroit.”

Here’s the full text of the letter McNerney sent to Obama:

Dear President Obama:
I am deeply troubled and disappointed by your decision to award millions of dollars in federal aid to Detroit while failing to offer comparable assistance to the city of Stockton. Stockton, which I represent, was previously the largest city in the United States to ever file for bankruptcy until Detroit did so. Stockton has been left behind and ignored by the White House. Unfortunately, this continues the trend of your Administration neglecting California’s San Joaquin Valley over the past four years. During that time, the city had nearly $1 billion in long-term debt, and its 2012-2013 budget had a $26 million deficit.

As I have outlined in previous correspondence, California’s San Joaquin Valley has historically received less per capita in federal funds than virtually every other region in the Nation, and cities like Stockton continue to face an uphill battle against poverty, crime, educational opportunities, and unemployment. In your State of the Union speech in February, you promised to help the country’s most economically depressed cities. Subsequent to that speech I contacted you with information outlining why Stockton should be included as part of that initiative. Regrettably, Stockton was bypassed due to the eligibility standards your Administration set for the program.

There are further examples of how the San Joaquin Valley has been neglected by the federal government. The Department of Housing and Urban Development acknowledged that Stockton is owed $1.2 million for an EDI/BEDI grant, but has done nothing to reconcile the money owed. Furthermore, the city is owed approximately $10 million for a flood control project that is completed, but no funds have been directed to the city since fiscal year 2006. Despite these broken promises and clear evidence that Stockton is in need of economic revitalization, your administration is focused solely on Detroit. Your economic advisors have “scrounged through the federal budget,” and a delegation from your administration is set to meet with Michigan officials today. Stockton was the 10th most violent city in the United States last year, the city has ranked in the top five in foreclosures for most of the last five years, and yet administration officials are absent.

Unfortunately, your inaction and neglect of the San Joaquin Valley remains a common theme. You have an opportunity to change that. This is not the time for favoritism. The residents of Stockton work hard and take great pride in their city, and with prudent allocation of federal resources, the local economy can rebound and prosper. I request that you make the same level of commitment to Stockton that you have to Detroit. The city deserves no less. I would also like to extend another invitation to you to visit the city of Stockton and travel throughout California’s San Joaquin Valley, allowing you to witness firsthand the day-to-day challenges in this region and the people who are so dedicated to facilitating its economic rebound.

I remain ready and willing to work with you to address the needs of our country, and I appreciate your attention to this important matter.

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05electio...ent-obama-stop-ignoring-problems-in-stockton/

:awesome:

Back