Obamacare program that Republicans use more than Democrats

christiefan915

Catalyst
Now who woulda thunk it?

"Just about every poll on Obamacare will show you the same thing: There’s a huge partisan split on the health care law. Most Democrats support it, most Republicans oppose it and independents fall somewhere in the middle.

That partisan divide, however, hasn’t necessarily translated into how Americans use the law. A new poll finds that young Republicans are more likely to have health coverage through their parents’ policy than young Democrats, an option widely expanded under the Affordable Care Act.
The poll comes from the Commonwealth Foundation, which has spent two years tracking how adults between the ages of 19 and 25 are reacting to the Affordable Care Act. Beginning in 2010, the health care law allowed young adults up to age 26 to stay covered under their parents’ health plans.

The Commonwealth Foundation estimates that of the 15 million young adults that have insurance coverage through a parent, 7.8 million would not have qualified without this policy. This dovetails with separate Census Bureau data which also finds an uptick in young adults’ insurance coverage, one that doesn’t show up in other demographics.

The Commonwealth Fund wanted to dig beyond that and figure out who these people were, the ones who had gained coverage under this health law provision. That’s where they found that since 2011, young Republicans have had a higher rate of enrollment in their parents’ health insurance plans than young Democrats. Right now, 45 percent of young Democrats receive coverage through their parents’ plan, compared to 63 percent of young Republicans.

Rates have also been higher among more affluent young adults and those with college degrees, who are more likely to have access to a parent’s insurance plan in the first place."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ram-that-republicans-use-more-than-democrats/

Or that their parents talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

The Commonwealth Fund wanted to dig beyond that and figure out who these people were, the ones who had gained coverage under this health law provision. That’s where they found that since 2011, young Republicans have had a higher rate of enrollment in their parents’ health insurance plans than young Democrats. Right now, 45 percent of young Democrats receive coverage through their parents’ plan, compared to 63 percent of young Republicans. Rates have also been higher among more affluent young adults and those with college degrees, who are more likely to have access to a parent’s insurance plan in the first place."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ram-that-republicans-use-more-than-democrats/

LOL. Smarter, like I said?

Are you making the assumption that all the parents have the same political beliefs as their children?

Nope, nothing about the kids' beliefs. I'm saying there are countless polls showing that Repubs are overwhelmingly against Obamacare... except in cases like this when using it benefits them. I'll bet the same thing applies to the pre-existing conditions clause.

Nope, nothing about the kids' beliefs. I'm saying there are countless polls showing that Repubs are overwhelmingly against Obamacare... except in cases like this when using it benefits them. I'll bet the same thing applies to the pre-existing conditions clause.

I've probably confused myself here but if I read the article correctly it only stated the political preferences of the kids, not the parents. You said it showed the parents don't walk the walk. It seems, if I am correct, that you are assuming the parents share the same preferences as their kids to make your statement.

I've probably confused myself here but if I read the article correctly it only stated the political preferences of the kids, not the parents. You said it showed the parents don't walk the walk. It seems, if I am correct, that you are assuming the parents share the same preferences as their kids to make your statement.

I see what you're saying and my statement should have read that the kids don't walk the walk. Thanks, I spoke too soon.

I see what you're saying and my statement should have read that the kids don't walk the walk. Thanks, I spoke too soon.

It reminds of the discussions the board used to have about taxes. Should those who want higher taxes (voluntarily) pay higher taxes themselves to back up their words? If you don't like the healthcare law should you go out of your way to avoid any of its provisions?

It reminds of the discussions the board used to have about taxes. Should those who want higher taxes (voluntarily) pay higher taxes themselves to back up their words? If you don't like the healthcare law should you go out of your way to avoid any of its provisions?

It seems to be something of a double standard to me. Some didn't have that coverage before Obamacare, now they have it but 88% of them still
hate the law. Does that make sense to you?

My kids are in college and it's a lot cheaper for them to be on our policy than for them ("them" meaning "us parents") to buy the coverage the schools provide.

It seems to be something of a double standard to me. Some didn't have that coverage before Obamacare, now they have it but 88% of them still
hate the law. Does that make sense to you?

My kids are in college and it's a lot cheaper for them to be on our policy than for them ("them" meaning "us parents") to buy the coverage the schools provide.

I guess it's up to each person as to how far they're willing to go to support their principles. For example, if you don't have insurance today and you don't support the law and therefore refuse to buy insurance (i'm not sure what the penalties are if you don't? fines? jail time eventually?) even though it's the law are you more principled than everyone else?

It's the same argument people made about taxes and about campaign money. If you want to see the campaign finance rules changed do you play by the rules as you want them to be or play by the current rules while working to change them?

I'm not trying to distract from your OP or the point you are trying to make. I'm combining them because the question you bring up and has been brought up before on other issues.

Back