Obama, Iranian president open door to better relations at UN

anatta

100% recycled karma
President Obama on Tuesday said he will use the remainder of his term to pursue better relations with Iran in the hope of resolving the controversy surrounding its nuclear program, pledging an activist U.S. agenda in the Middle East and beyond despite growing isolationist pressure at home.

In a 50-minute address to the U.N. General Assembly, Obama said he will devote his diplomatic efforts in the region to securing an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement, hopeful that talks now underway through American encouragement may end the long conflict. He said that “real breakthroughs” on those two issues would “have a profound and positive impact on the entire Middle East and North Africa

Iran’s new president Hassan Rouhani, in his own address to the General Assembly Tuesday evening, was at times sharply critical of U.S. foreign policy in the region, echoing the complaints of his predecessor over the treatment of Palestinians, drone use, and other issues.

But he also pledged serious international negotiations over Iran's nuclear program in a speech apparently designed to appeal to competing political interests inside Iran.

“We can arrive at a framework to manage our differences,” Rouhani said, with Iran and the United States on “equal footing.”

Rouhani, making his debut at the world body, said he had “listened carefully” to President Obama’s address from the same podium earlier in the day. He said Iran hopes that U.S. leaders can summon the political will to “refrain from following the short-sighted interests of war-mongering pressure groups.”

The exploratory effort at renewed negotiations between Iran and the West will begin in earnest this week with a meeting at the United Nations between Iran’s foreign minister and Secretary of State John F. Kerry, one of the highest-level contacts between the two countries in years.

Although White House officials had signaled that a meeting — or an informal encounter — between Obama and Rouhani was a possibility, the Iranian leader did not appear at a luncheon where an exchange could have taken place.
Senior White House officials said Tuesday that Iranian diplomats decided against a meeting, worried about how it would be received by hard-liners at home.

No U.S. president has met formally with an Iranian leader since the country’s 1979 revolution swept aside the U.S.-backed shah. One senior administration official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said “it was clear that it was too complicated for them.”

“The Iranians have an internal dynamic that they have to manage,” a second senior administration official said. “And the relationship with United States is clearly quite different than the relationship that Iran has with other Western nations.”

Obama’s address was his fifth to the General Assembly, and it reflected the approach of a president defending a foreign policy record and looking toward securing a legacy after he leaves office.
By defining relations with Iran and the Israeli-Palestinian peace process as his priorities for the region, the president made clear that he intends to be measured by his progress on the same issues that have repeatedly vexed his predecessors.

“Some may disagree, but I believe that America is exceptional,” he said, using a term he has been criticized for not fully embracing in the past.
He said his belief is justified “in part because we have shown a willingness, through the sacrifice of blood and treasure, to stand up not only for our own narrow self-interest, but for the interests of all.”

Although Obama did not announce a new policy toward Iran, his tone of optimism signaled the administration’s openness to find common ground with the Islamic republic’s leadership.
That tone has come largely in response to the positive signals being sent by Rouhani, who was elected on a platform promising to repair his country’s relations with Europe and the United States.

Squeezed by economic sanctions designed to end the country’s nuclear program, many Iranians are eager for a political solution to the standoff.
At the same time, Israeli officials warn that time is running out to reach a diplomatic agreement to end the uranium enrichment program, threatening military action if no deal can be reached.

Israeli officials have responded skeptically to Rouhani’s pledges of engagement and fear that Iran will clandestinely seek to pursue a nuclear weapon. On Tuesday, the Israeli delegation boycotted Rouhani’s speech.

Obama’s address reflected a growing sense in the administration that the president’s foreign policy legacy may be defined by events in the Middle East and North Africa,
where secular and Islamic popular movements continue vying for political authority. He noted that consequences of the Arab Spring continue to ripple through the region.

“The current convulsions . . . remind us that a just and lasting peace cannot be measured only by agreements between nations,” Obama warned, referring to the worsening civil war in Syria.
“It must also be measured by our ability to resolve conflict and promote justice within nations. And by that measure, it’s clear that all of us have a lot more work to do.”

Obama’s return to Israeli-Palestinian diplomacy signaled his large ambitions — and long odds of achieving all of them.
The president visited Israel and the West Bank this year, hoping to set the groundwork to revive direct talks between Israeli and Palestinian leaders.

He managed to help restart direct talks during his first term, largely by pressuring Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to impose a 10-month freeze on settlement construction in the occupied territories.
But negotiations lasted only weeks before breaking down in the fall of 2010 amid criticism from both sides of how Obama managed the process.

The president had largely avoided the peace process until his March trip to Jerusalem and Ramallah, where he noted in his speech Tuesday that he was encouraged by the desire for peace among many Israelis and Palestinians, particularly the young. Under U.S. guidance, Israeli and Palestinian officials began direct talks last month.

“So the time is now ripe for the entire international community to get behind the pursuit of peace,” Obama said.
“Already, Israeli and Palestinian leaders have demonstrated a willingness to take significant political risks.”

Obama met Tuesday after his address with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, their first face-to-face time together since the new talks started.
As the two leaders began their meeting, Abbas said, “We have no illusion that peace will be easy.”

The president is scheduled to host Netanyahu at the White House next week.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...41c2-2514-11e3-b3e9-d97fb087acd6_story_1.html

Last edited:
I heard enough crap in Obama's speech about how Gaddafi just HAD to go ( ya. how's that's working out for you??).

And there is disagreement aboout a UN resolution re; Syrian chem weapons.

Still. not too bad for a least today. Both presidents need to avoid the "warmongers" as Rouhani said

Warmongering is only for the fools that fail miserably in finding other and more peaceful resolutions to their disagreements. On the other hand, I stand ready, willing and fully capable of slapping the living shit out of some folk when all else has failed and my opposition reveals that because of their own obstinance they are fully incapable of comprehending the offers or conversations for an otherwise more peaceful solution and continued diplomacy will not be productive.

Petula

Warmongering is only for the fools that fail miserably in finding other and more peaceful resolutions to their disagreements. On the other hand, I stand ready, willing and fully capable of slapping the living shit out of some folk when all else has failed and my opposition reveals that because of their own obstinance they are fully incapable of comprehending the offers or conversations for an otherwise more peaceful solution and continued diplomacy will not be productive.

Petula
think we had enough of "slapping the shit" of the world -it doesn't help, it's counter-productive, or futile at least.

The 'warmongers" here could be Israel - or could just be the US neocons/Obama adm. that want/had us all over the ME/ central Asia in force.

Hopefully we are past that inteventionism phase..

Fuck the world. After days, weeks, months, etc. of searching for every way possible to peacefully resolve an issue with an opposition that I discover is operating not in good faith the "slapping the shit" out of them is mainly for ME. The problem is not going to get better but it's probably not going to get worse either. But, the slap may be an encouragement for the opposition to examine more closely the peaceful endeavors that I had already offered repeatedly.

Petula

Fuck the world. After days, weeks, months, etc. of searching for every way possible to peacefully resolve an issue with an opposition that I discover is operating not in good faith the "slapping the shit" out of them is mainly for ME. The problem is not going to get better but it's probably not going to get worse either. But, the slap may be an encouragement for the opposition to examine more closely the peaceful endeavors that I had already offered repeatedly.

Petula
sometimes you need to get their attention, as the saying goes. lol

And then the Iranian leader snubbed the big eared douche nozzle. You guys sure can pick em.

Look at the bright side. One day you will be able to tell your grandkids that you supported the only black President in the history of the US. There won't be another

Obama, Hasan Rouhani Will Not Have A Meeting At The UN: Officials

UNITED NATIONS -- UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Senior U.S. officials say President Barack Obama and Iranian President Hasan Rouhani will not meet while both leaders are at the United Nations.

The officials say a meeting proved to be too complicated for the Iranians. But they say work is under way at the staff level to resolve an impasse over Iran's nuclear program.

U.S. and Iranian leaders have not met in 36 years.

The officials insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the decision publicly.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/obama-rouhani-meeting_n_3983912.html

This is no surprise to anyone who has been paying attention.

Unknown to most 'patriotic' Americans, Iran is very shrewd and cunning. Iran led America and George Bush into invading Iraq with its double agent, Chalabi.

We will see what the next chess move will be.

^ much truth to this BAC - Chalabi fed the US 'Curveball" and other dubious sources. In the end I think the US (Wolfowiz. Richard Pearl, Feith ) and

"all the VP Cheney's men" would have decided to invade anyhow.

Still it was Chalabi who whispered in their ears. He's the source of "the US will be greeted as liberators"

more on Chalabi: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Secu...-invade-Iraq-No.-3-We-can-trust-Ahmed-Chalabi

Iran is in a tough place, the sanctions are biting -still they aren't going to re-align, they are part of the Shiite Crescent, it's anchor.

The key for the US is to extract some promises of Iran not working to destabilze - this is most difficult as the US has to be neutral in the region.

( I say this all the time) meaning not desert the Suuni's, and Israel, but not be openly hostile to the idea of the Shi'as power block either.

I think this "leveraging" is too complicated, and we should just work on face value with each of the players

Back