Obama doesn't care... Obama care killing cancer patients

So most ObamaCare plans don’t include the vast majority of the best cancer doctors and cancer centers. That’s a huge problem for these patients. As Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former Medicare official, writes: “Cancer patients often need the help of specialized doctors and cancer institutions that won’t make it into many of these cheapened networks.”

Sure we will pay for cancer treatment, just not at the top facilities that specialize in such treatment.

All across the country, leading cancer centers — including New York’s Memorial Sloan Kettering — are excluded by the largest plans. In Washington state, the largest exchange plans exclude world-class cancer care for kids such as the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. California’s state-of-the-art Cedars-Sinai cancer center isn’t in any ObamaCare plan. Only a few plans include the Mayo Clinic.

THANKS OBAMACARE!!!

And if you want a doctor outside such networks, you’ll generally have to pay the full cost of care. Many people will get better coverage at a lower cost under ObamaCare (after all, the feds are spending hundreds of billions on it). But most cancer patients will wind up paying more for less.

Take Michael Cerpok, a leukemia survivor in Fountain Hills, Ariz. Right now, his monthly premium is about half his monthly take-home pay. But the ObamaCare law forced his insurer to kill that plan for one that fits the law’s rules.

Now he’ll have to pay more for drugs, and his Mayo Clinic doctor is no longer in his network.

Last year, his treatment bill was more than $350,000, but thanks to insurance his out-of-pocket was only $4,500. Now, to keep his doctor, the one who has kept him alive for seven years, Cerpok will have to pay $26,000 out-of-pocket.

THANKS OBAMA CARE!!!

ObamaCare also stints on drug coverage, severely limiting the medicines plans cover. Many pre-Obama plans just charged a co-pay of about $50-70 a month for cancer drugs. Under ObamaCare, thousands of cancer patients will have to pay more than $2,500 a month for medicines.

Horribly, ObamaCare is limiting access to new medicines just as a revolution is delivering far better treatments. More than 40 new treatments target the genetic source of tumors, as opposed to older therapies that kill cancer cells after they spread. On average, ObamaCare plans cover only 10 targeted therapies, and insurers don’t have to add new breakthroughs until 2016.

So... you want the new treatments... NOT if you are in Obamacare... cause Obamadon't care

A study by Avalere Health found that up to 90 percent of ObamaCare plans will force cancer patients to cover half the cost of new drugs until they hit the out-of-pocket maximum. By comparison, only 29 percent of non-ObamaCare employer-based plans do so.

Many patients will just give up. Another Avalere study found that people are four times more likely to stop using innovative therapies if they have to pay $500 or more.
South Carolinan Bill Elliott, 50, and a late-stage lung-cancer survivor, is looking at doing just that. He reports that premiums for his family will jump from $150 to $1,500 a month. His doctor isn’t in the ObamaCare network and neither are his medicines, so he’s thinking about stopping altogether, “pay the $95 or whatever fine and I’m just going to let nature take its course,” because he doesn’t want to burden his family.

How to reduce health care costs? Let those damn cancer patients die!!!

Forget the Web site and other disasters: The ugliest part of ObamaCare is how it denies life-saving coverage to cancer patients. That isn’t a “glitch”; it’s a cruel and key feature of the law.

well played Obama... well played.

Obamacare and Cancer – top doctor sees no maligancy

November 12, 2013

With the Obamacare rhetoric flying, the president of the nation’s leading cancer doctors’ group says worried cancer patients may be unnecessarily concerned. He has come to the view that Obamacare will be a boon for cancer patients, and a high-profile advocate for the controversial new national health care policy.

“I think what’s true for your average cancer patient is that nothing changes,” Dr. Clifford Hudis, president of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), told me recently. Hudis, who treats patients and is chief of Memorial Sloan-Kettering’s breast cancer program in New York, says some of his elderly patients who are covered by Medicare have confided dark fears to him. “I’ve had my patients in my office tell me they’re scared of the Affordable Care Act because they’re so worried the government is going to get involved in their Medicare,” he said. “That misunderstanding is unfortunate.

“I’m going to see my patients. They’re going to show up in my office,” he says. “Everyone with insurance is going to see a doctor. More people are going to have insurance,” Hudis says. “The human part of me, the part that treats sick people … has a hard time getting concerned about an approach that broadens access.”

Hudis says the current system can be cruel to patients switching insurance carriers whose new insurance excludes the disease...

“Exclusion for prior diagnosis hit home for me in the last few weeks when I saw a young woman move from one good job to another good job in a different state and then develop a recurrence of breast cancer,” he said, adding that her new insurance carrier denied her coverage for a pre-existing disease. “I really thought these stories were apocryphal. But I could not arrange a biopsy of a suspicious metastatic lesion because (the condition) was excluded” from her new insurance coverage, he said...

Hudis says no society should allow insurance to be set up in a way that allows an insurer to refuse care based upon a pre-existing condition. And he credits Obamacare for eliminating exclusions based on a person’s prior medical history.

“We’re all in this together, that’s the point. This notion that only one group of people, even if it’s a large group, should be insured flies in the face of the very concept of insurance, which is to protect all of society, through share risk and burden.”

http://blogs.reuters.com/cancer-in-...care-and-cancer-top-doctor-sees-no-maligancy/

If the law says no rationing, where is the NY Post getting its info?

Chain emails about cancer care debunked

"Your hospital Medicare admittance has just changed under Obama Care. You must be admitted by your primary Physician in order for Medicare to pay for it! If you are admitted by an emergency room doctor it is treated as outpatient care where hospital costs are not covered. This is only the tip of the iceberg for Obama Care. Just wait to see what happens in 2013 & 2014! …

"Please for the sake of many good people, please … pass this on. We all need to be informed.
"YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE THIS. …
"At age 76 when you most need it, you are not eligible for cancer treatment page 272."
The email goes on with a long list of claims by Judge David Kithil of Marble Falls, Texas.

We learned very quickly that a version of this chain email has been kicking around since 2009, based on H.R. 3200, a bill that did not become law. Many of the claims have been debunked by PolitiFact and by FactCheck.org. But the email has morphed over the years, with new assertions.

As for the cancer-related statement, the email cites Page 272 of H.R. 3200 to back up its assertion that seniors at 76 are not eligible for cancer treatment. Later, the email specifies that under Section 1145 of H.R. 3200, "cancer hospital will ration care according to the patient's age."

Neither statement is accurate.

There is no rationing, based on age or otherwise, on cancer treatment under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act signed into law in March 2010. Likewise, there is no rationing or cut-off age in 2009's H.R. 3200.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/chain-emails-about-cancer-care-debunked/2126096

Obamacare and Cancer – top doctor sees no maligancy

November 12, 2013

With the Obamacare rhetoric flying, the president of the nation’s leading cancer doctors’ group says worried cancer patients may be unnecessarily concerned. He has come to the view that Obamacare will be a boon for cancer patients, and a high-profile advocate for the controversial new national health care policy.

“I think what’s true for your average cancer patient is that nothing changes,” Dr. Clifford Hudis, president of American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), told me recently. Hudis, who treats patients and is chief of Memorial Sloan-Kettering’s breast cancer program in New York, says some of his elderly patients who are covered by Medicare have confided dark fears to him. “I’ve had my patients in my office tell me they’re scared of the Affordable Care Act because they’re so worried the government is going to get involved in their Medicare,” he said. “That misunderstanding is unfortunate.

“I’m going to see my patients. They’re going to show up in my office,” he says. “Everyone with insurance is going to see a doctor. More people are going to have insurance,” Hudis says. “The human part of me, the part that treats sick people … has a hard time getting concerned about an approach that broadens access.”

Hudis says the current system can be cruel to patients switching insurance carriers whose new insurance excludes the disease...

“Exclusion for prior diagnosis hit home for me in the last few weeks when I saw a young woman move from one good job to another good job in a different state and then develop a recurrence of breast cancer,” he said, adding that her new insurance carrier denied her coverage for a pre-existing disease. “I really thought these stories were apocryphal. But I could not arrange a biopsy of a suspicious metastatic lesion because (the condition) was excluded” from her new insurance coverage, he said...

Hudis says no society should allow insurance to be set up in a way that allows an insurer to refuse care based upon a pre-existing condition. And he credits Obamacare for eliminating exclusions based on a person’s prior medical history.

“We’re all in this together, that’s the point. This notion that only one group of people, even if it’s a large group, should be insured flies in the face of the very concept of insurance, which is to protect all of society, through share risk and burden.”

http://blogs.reuters.com/cancer-in-...care-and-cancer-top-doctor-sees-no-maligancy/

Lol...yes medicare may keep that facility in NY...but many larger plans in the exchange... WONT

Back