NY won't charge biker thug

Big Money

lien-1.jpg

The Manhattan DA’s office won’t press charges against one of the motorcycle thugs believed to have terrorized a driver and his family after a wild chase on the West Side Highway, and argued against prosecuting a second biker.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/02/da-wont-charge-bike-assault-thug-in-suv-beating/

What was their reasoning?

I saw one of the bikers on CNN earlier. He painted a whole different kind of story, and he was pretty freaked when talking about it. I'd be interested to hear what the police concluded on this one, but haven't found any stories since the initial reporting broke.

I saw the video from the helmet cam of one of the riders. The guy he "hit" on the highway got in front of him and deliberately backed into his car. You can see him even carefully looking back as he slowed. Then when the guy stopped his SUV they started slashing his tires in "retaliation".

I don't think this guy was unreasonable in thinking he was in danger and getting the heck out of there. I can see why he may have panicked.

Now this escalated everything.

The biker guy could have been "freaked out" but I believe that they deliberately targeted that guy after watching the video from the helmet cam. I could see no reason why the guy would carefully slow down to tap the guy's front bumper, and no clear reason for the originating attack on the vehicle. It freaked him out that somebody was willing to drive over the guy who stopped in front to block his escape... Maybe he'll think twice again before they target another person like that.

I saw the video from the helmet cam of one of the riders. The guy he "hit" on the highway got in front of him and deliberately backed into his car. You can see him even carefully looking back as he slowed. Then when the guy stopped his SUV they started slashing his tires in "retaliation".

I don't think this guy was unreasonable in thinking he was in danger and getting the heck out of there. I can see why he may have panicked.

I am not violent, but with my child in the car, I would have done the same thing. It was most unfortunate the biker was hurt, but I agree with your assessment.

Last edited:
What was their reasoning?

A motorcyclist caught on video pounding his fists on the SUV of a dad who was beaten by a pack of riled-up riders — in front of his wife and child — was cut loose Wednesday when New York prosecutors surprisingly dropped charges against him.

Allen Edwards, 42, was set free, despite a viral video showing him punching the black Range Rover on Sunday before driver Alexian Lien was dragged out, pummeled and slashed by a mob following a chilling Manhattan chase.

Prosecutors said Edwards’ release didn’t mean he was in the clear.

“We are taking Sunday’s crimes extremely seriously, and will proceed with charges in a manner that enables us to build the strongest cases possible,” said Karen Friedman-Agnifilo, chief of the trial division for the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...anhattan-set-free-officials-article-1.1473800

I am not violent, but with my child in the car, I would have done the same thing. It was most unfortunate the bier was hurt, but I agree with your assessment.

True. I would have treated it like a carjacking, step on the gas and get out of there.

Now this escalated everything.

The biker guy could have been "freaked out" but I believe that they deliberately targeted that guy after watching the video from the helmet cam. I could see no reason why the guy would carefully slow down to tap the guy's front bumper, and no clear reason for the originating attack on the vehicle. It freaked him out that somebody was willing to drive over the guy who stopped in front to block his escape... Maybe he'll think twice again before they target another person like that.

While I'm definitely more inclined to side w/ the driver on this one, that's a whole lotta conclusions you've got there, with pretty scant evidence. I saw that video, and it wasn't quite as obvious as you're portraying it.

I am not violent, but with my child in the car, I would have done the same thing. It was most unfortunate the bier was hurt, but I agree with your assessment.

Those swine! Mob mentality in action. Guess they feel really good about themselves, terrorizing a family to feed their egos. :mad:

While I'm definitely more inclined to side w/ the driver on this one, that's a whole lotta conclusions you've got there, with pretty scant evidence. I saw that video, and it wasn't quite as obvious as you're portraying it.

What part are you questioning? Since when don't bikers have to obey the rules of the road like the rest of us?

It was not unfortunate. I hope the biker dies, and that any others not facing prosecution receive vigilante justice.

These bikers come into the city on occasion and cause mayhem when they do. The police received over 200 911 calls from all over the city about these guys. Not just in Manhattan but also in Brooklyn and Queens. There's no confusion about who's the good guy and who's the bad guy here.

The Manhattan District Attorney is a relatively recent replacement for long-time serving Robert Morgenthau. He is Cyrus Vance Jr., son of the former Carter Administration Secretary of State. In his brief stint now he's already punted two high-profile rape cases and now this. He could be a one-term D.A.

These bikers come into the city on occasion and cause mayhem when they do. The police received over 200 911 calls from all over the city about these guys. Not just in Manhattan but also in Brooklyn and Queens. There's no confusion about who's the good guy and who's the bad guy here.

The Manhattan District Attorney is a relatively recent replacement for long-time serving Robert Morgenthau. He is Cyrus Vance Jr., son of the former Carter Administration Secretary of State. In his brief stint now he's already punted two high-profile rape cases and now this. He could be a one-term D.A.

You made this point, the first time. :)

what ever happened BEFORE that video we see is meaningless.

No ONE was hurt before the video.

The biker purposefully tried to cause the car behind him to hit him.

then they treated the whole situation like they were in control of this man and his car and family by placing their own bodies and bikes in front of him a a barrier.

Then they attacked the car to get to the people inside.

the people inside had EVERY RIGHT to defend themselves.

the funny thing is if it was a gun instead of a car the right here would be screaming stand your ground saved the man from certain death

what ever happened BEFORE that video we see is meaningless.

No ONE was hurt before the video.

The biker purposefully tried to cause the car behind him to hit him.

then they treated the whole situation like they were in control of this man and his car and family by placing their own bodies and bikes in front of him a a barrier.

Then they attacked the car to get to the people inside.

the people inside had EVERY RIGHT to defend themselves.

the funny thing is if it was a gun instead of a car the right here would be screaming stand your ground saved the man from certain death

Absolutely.
Nothing that happened before matters.

OH-WAIT, I forgot that you're an idiot.

Back