No, white people, you can’t say the N-word

poet

Banned
http://www.salon.com/2013/10/30/no_white_people_you_cant_say_the_n_word/

".......So let’s settle this – considering the ubiquity of the word, the way it is so frequently used in popular music and on schoolyards, are there ever any occasions when it’s acceptable for a white person to use it? During a CNN discussion on the subject last summer, spurred by revelations of Paula Deen’s cheerfully nostalgic use of it, the consensus was a resounding no. But I would argue there are some exceptions. Just ask yourself a few questions first. Are you a journalist directly quoting another source, perhaps within a story about racism itself? Are you an actor, playing a vicious slave owner in a historical drama? Are you Louis C.K.? If the answer to any of these questions is “Ummm, no, I don’t think so,” stop yourself right there.

It doesn’t matter if Kanye gets to say it. It doesn’t matter if you claim you grew up in an era and an environment in which the word was commonly used. It doesn’t matter if you say you have a problem with conservative white males, or you just really love hip-hop, or – and this one’s the richest of all – that you’re talking about a particular kind of person who behaves in a certain way but surely not all persons of a certain color. Yeah, still no. Just a big, big, big no. What about if you put a letter A on it, instead of an “er”? Still no. There will always come a point in the Biggie lyrics where you are not permitted to rap along. And you can’t do blackface either, by the way.

It doesn’t matter that you grew up in the projects or you voted for Obama or you’re just doing a routine from “Blazing Saddles.” It’s a derogatory term that has been traditionally and is still frequently used by members of one race to insult and demean members of another race. The fact that it is now sometimes appropriated in different contexts does not change that, and it most especially doesn’t change it with regard to you as a white person applying it to black people. Are you bothered that this means African-Americans have cultural permission to do something that you can’t? You feel that’s unfair? Yes, let’s whine about unfairness; this will be fun. You talk about how you can’t say the N-word, and then I’ll point you to all of American history up to and including this very moment. You can’t use a single word? SO TOTALLY UNFAIR. Get over it. But if you need any further evidence that it’s not OK to say it, just look at the people who do: mor**s on Reddit and suspended schoolteachers."

Mary Elizabeth Williams is a staff writer for Salon and the author of "Gimme Shelter: My Three Years Searching for the American Dream." Follow her on Twitter: @embeedub. MEWilliams_Bio-75x75.jpg

Oops. And the author is a white journalist for Salon. I guess she read the usual suspects

Fortunately I dont associate with people that feel the need to use that pejorative.

I do find it interesting tho, that even tho...according to the OP and the article?....it's ok for blacks to use it....no matter what context they use it in...it still means the same horrible things to others and brings up the same, historic (as referred to in OP) and terrible meanings and visualizations when others hear it.

So blacks can use it all they want...I dont care...but if I hear it, it still makes me think of slaves, beating, subjugation, etc....no matter what they think they are expressing. It's perpetuated, like it or not.

Last edited:
12425601533184.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Poet is just trolling. He thinks he is going to get a response.

Nobody cares.

He is still a loser who apparently is being a good boy

Storm... get that shit out of here... period.

You better watch it or you'll get censored too.

That's right...he's allowed to post that filth all over the board but if anyone dares speak out about it, such as myself and others, well we get placed on forced ignore for nothing more than mentioning filth like that.

You better watch it or you'll get censored too.

That's right...he's allowed to post that filth all over the board but if anyone dares speak out about it, such as myself and others, well we get placed on forced ignore for nothing more than mentioning filth like that.

So why didn't you follow their example and indulge in a dirty protest as well?

Fortunately I dont associate with people that feel the need to use that pejorative.

I do find it interesting tho, that even tho...according to the OP and the article?....it's ok for blacks to use it....no matter what context they use it in...it still means the same horrible things to others and brings up the same, historic (as referred to in OP) and terrible meanings and visualizations when others hear it.

So blacks can use it all they want...I dont care...but if I hear it, it still makes me think of slaves, beating, subjugation, etc....no matter what they think they are expressing. It's perpetuated, like it or not.
Sez who? I don't associate with blacks that use that pejorative, as I don't use it. Just like whites who refer to themselves as "crackers", "poor white trash", "whitey", etc....
Not everyone is into pejoratives. I think they say stuff like that so they can get away with using the n-word.

Sez who? I don't associate with blacks that use that pejorative, as I don't use it. Just like whites who refer to themselves as "crackers", "poor white trash", "whitey", etc....
Not everyone is into pejoratives. I think they say stuff like that so they can get away with using the n-word.

My comment was really about how it doesnt matter who says it....you cannot control what it means to people. And to many, it still means slavery, brutality, subjugation, etc....

So who cares what's 'fair?' Use it...just know that it doesnt matter what 'you' think when you use it (whatever color you are)...it still carries historic and demeaning meaning for others.

It's not the same when a black person uses it as when a white person does. It never will be. Have some common fucking sense, and get over it.

It's not the same when a black person uses it as when a white person does. It never will be. Have some common fucking sense, and get over it.

It is so tiresome seeing separate rules for other, but it is what it is

When whites use the N word somehow it means coloreds are headed for the gallows or a good lynching

When coloreds use the N word it means "what up homey"

That makes perfect sense

My comment was really about how it doesnt matter who says it....you cannot control what it means to people. And to many, it still means slavery, brutality, subjugation, etc....

So who cares what's 'fair?' Use it...just know that it doesnt matter what 'you' think when you use it (whatever color you are)...it still carries historic and demeaning meaning for others.

Uh, the point is moot. I don't use it, and I don't approve of its' use, by anyone. The statements you made are true.

To Big Money:
Then, if you think you can say it, show some balls, and go to the nearest neighborhood mall (unless you live in Whitelandia), stand in the middle of the court, and say it, "repeatedly", at the top of your lungs, and wait. You'll find yourself, unconscious, or worse...headed to the hospital or the morgue. Otherwise, have a seat and stfu.

Blocking me out of your disgusting thread.....coward.

To Big Money:
Then, if you think you can say it, show some balls, and go to the nearest neighborhood mall (unless you live in Whitelandia), stand in the middle of the court, and say it, "repeatedly", at the top of your lungs, and wait. You'll find yourself, unconscious, or worse...headed to the hospital or the morgue. Otherwise, have a seat and stfu.

Blocking me out of your disgusting thread.....coward.

You claim to have him on ignore, so why would you care if he thread banned you?

Do you guys ever think through what you are saying?

Are you saying blacks would get violent over a single solitary word? Interesting. You seem to be implying that they are a violent bunch. Never knew that. Thanks for clarifying

You claim to have him on ignore, so why would you care if he thread banned you?

Do you guys ever think through what you are saying?

Are you saying blacks would get violent over a single solitary word? Interesting. You seem to be implying that they are a violent bunch. Never knew that. Thanks for clarifying

How would you feel if someone called your wife or adult daughter a cunt?

(I am not doing so, just framing a hypothetical for discussion...it doesnt work without the close personal connection....if he has one)

How would you react?

Last edited:
Back