more proof that cops are universally bad human beings

http://www.wrdw.com/news/crimeteam1...12511.html?device=phone#.UdbKLNsVo-o.facebook

If you are not being investigated for criminal activity, you do not need to show your ID to the cops. This guy was unlawfully arrested and the Sgt in the article is disseminating wrong information as well as threatening the public with arrest for refusal to cooperate with the police.

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- Matthew Haley was filming from a public sidewalk at the corner of 4th and Walton Way when he says he was first approached by deputies.

Cell phone video shows the encounter with deputies that put 28-year old Haley in jail.

"Sir, I'm in public. I'm not committing any type of crime," Haley says to deputies as they approach and ask for his I.D. several times.

He says after he refused, the phone was taken from him, but it still managed to record sound from the arrest.

You can hear Haley ask, "What am I being arrested for?"
The deputies reply, "We're Sheriff's deputies, and we were conducting an investigation, and you refused to give your I.D. That's against the law here."

That was the night of June 2nd. Cameras were rolling again when deputies approached him as News 12 was interviewing Haley today.

This is the how the beginning of that conversation went:

Deputies: "Who y'all with?"
News 12's Christie Ethridge: "I'm with Channel 12."
Deputies: "Who are you with?"
Haley: "I'm just an independent individual."
Deputies: "You got any I.D. on you?"
Haley: "Am I committing some type of crime?"
Deputies: "No sir, you're videotaping the Sheriff's Office and the jail, so we just want to find out what you're doing."

What are you doing? It's a simple question with a simple answer, but since Haley was on public property, News 12 went digging to find out if he had to answer.

"The average person is not aware that the police are free to come up to a person with absolutely no suspicion of criminal activity and ask questions, however they cannot detain you and you are free to leave," attorney Sarah Blake said.

In this case, while deputies agree there's nothing unlawful about filming public buildings on a public sidewalk, they say it's more about safety. After tragedies like the Boston Marathon bombing and the Sandy Hook shooting, they say it's their job to investigate anything that comes across as suspicious.

"We look at the what if. We look at the worst case scneario, and try to prepare for the worst case scenario. We don't know if he's trying to find an escape for someone. These are things we have to look at," Richmond County Sergeant Michael McDaniel explained.

Further conversation from when deputies approached Haley today sounded like this:
Haley: "Sir, may I ask you a question?"
Deputies: "Absolutely."
Haley: "Is it against the law to video tape public buildings?"
Deputies: "No sir, it's not, but it does draw suspicion."

"I feel like I was harassed or violated for engaging a lawful activity," Haley tells News 12. "I spent that night in a holding cell at 401 for probably about 11 hours."

"Once confronted by deputies, when you refuse to cooperate and answer any questions, you're basically asking to be locked up," McDaniel said.

Haley is a self-proclaimed independent journalist. He says he was just trying to film traffic at the intersection of 4th and Walton Way and show how many violations occur right outside the Sheriff's Office.

News 12 spoke with three different attorneys today to get some answers, and each one said it's a case by case basis all to be decided by the courts.

threatening an ILLEGAL search, KNOWING anything she finds won't be used, but should she still be allowed to do an illegal search or can her unlawful search be resisted.....with deadly force if necessary?

Newsflash for ya, toodles.....black folk have been saying this for DECADES regarding police abuse of authority....guess you'll believe us now.

Oh, and for the record....not all cops are corrupt or bad or bullies....if that were the case, my father would have paid off his mortgage YEARS ago. Just saying.

Newsflash for ya, toodles.....black folk have been saying this for DECADES regarding police abuse of authority....guess you'll believe us now.
newsflash, retard. i've been saying it happens for years as well. guess you'll start reading all my posts now? maybe not.

Oh, and for the record....not all cops are corrupt or bad or bullies....if that were the case, my father would have paid off his mortgage YEARS ago. Just saying.
unless he actually arrested other cops for being corrupt or breaking the law, he silently consented and was bad just like them.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post

newsflash, retard. i've been saying it happens for years as well. guess you'll start reading all my posts now? maybe not.

Saying it where, toodles? To date you've taken the side of every bigoted and racist stance regarding black folk from Trayvon Martin to President Obama. If you've done otherwise, I'd like to see the link.

unless he actually arrested other cops for being corrupt or breaking the law, he silently consented and was bad just like them.

And right there is where intellectually impotent clowns like you fall flat on their faces. Do your homework and you'll see that all major metropolitan police forces have an INTERNAL AFFAIRS DIVISION. That's where cops report suspicious/illegal activity of other cops or are asked to testify.

That's the problem with you libertarian lunkheads....you don't know WTF you're talking about, so you just create the world you deem should exist. If all cops were corrupt, then they would be. Idiot!

Saying it where, toodles? To date you've taken the side of every bigoted and racist stance regarding black folk from Trayvon Martin to President Obama. If you've done otherwise, I'd like to see the link.
feel free to search through all my threads if you like. I see no need to prove myself and my claims to an idiot like you.

And right there is where intellectually impotent clowns like you fall flat on their faces. Do your homework and you'll see that all major metropolitan police forces have an INTERNAL AFFAIRS DIVISION. That's where cops report suspicious/illegal activity of other cops or are asked to testify.
i've also made numerous posts where VIDEO showed criminal activity like excessive force, yet IA finds no wrongdoing. no, you're wrong and intellectually bankrupt.

That's the problem with you libertarian lunkheads....you don't know WTF you're talking about, so you just create the world you deem should exist. If all cops were corrupt, then they would be. Idiot!
you're obviously talking about liberals and conservatives, not Libertarians.

Just as usual, you're still a big turd.

I recently broke my collarbone so typing is hard work, so I'll just stick with calling STY an ass and leaves the proofs to somebody else.

1 in 1000 are not corrupt. Statistically they don't even exist.

feel free to search through all my threads if you like. I see no need to prove myself and my claims to an idiot like you.

Typical bullshit response from the intellectually dishonest coward that is STY. It works like this, stupid....YOU made the statement that you've been saying for years about police abuse against black folk. I asked for proof....YOUR statement, YOUR burden of proof. If you can't produce it, then there is no reason for anyone to believe you.

i've also made numerous posts where VIDEO showed criminal activity like excessive force, yet IA finds no wrongdoing. no, you're wrong and intellectually bankrupt.

The chronology of the posts makes you out to be a bullshit artist, STY. YOU claimed ALL cops are corrupt either by action or by non-action. I merely point out your IGNORANCE regarding Internal Affairs. I suggest you get a National newspaper and follow it for a year....or do some research about the KNAPP commission and what resulted from it.

Typical smoke blowing by a libertarian lunkhead....YOU, STY, made a statement that flies in the face of reality and facts. YOU cannot provide proof to support your broad statement, YOU show ignorance regarding historical FACTS regarding efforts to curtail/erradicate police corruption. But hey, reality has NEVER stopped a libertarian lunkhead from parroting their mantras. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post

Just as usual, you're still a big turd.

Wow, a 6 year old coach you on that response toodles?

STY can't prove his statement....neither can you. But do blather on and blow smoke as usual.

1 in 1000 are not corrupt. Statistically they don't even exist.

And the source of your statement other than mental flatulence?

And the source of your statement other than mental flatulence?

Name 3 good cops. I'll name 3,000 bad.

Like I've said before, if I ever have a child who wants to be a cop when they grow up, they're getting sent to an orphanage in Africa.

Many cops are just like criminalized organizations - all they do is cover up and protect themselves.
Don't get carried away here though you anarcho-pseudo-libertarians.

Name 3 good cops. I'll name 3,000 bad.

Like I've said before, if I ever have a child who wants to be a cop when they grow up, they're getting sent to an orphanage in Africa.

I don't want BS you pull out of your ass, I want bonafide, objective official statistics. If you can't pony up, then STFU.

Still blowing STY smoke, but NO PROOF.

Your opinion isn't worth a damn.

Back