Logic Quiz

9/10 except for the drug question. I see what they are going for but the way they set it up, seems like they are trying to draw a correlation. In any scientific study if you constantly have a control group not getting better, and every time someone takes a drug they are getting better, that seems pretty logical to conclude Y is doing something.

9/10

Got last one wrong. Don't get it. Oh well

Smithsville is 50km due north of Jonesborough.

Jonesborough
is 50km due north of browntown.

Smithville

|
|
| 50 km
|
|

Jonesborough.

|
|
| 50km
|
|

Browntown

#

Browntown is closer to joneborough than brownville is to smithville - true.

I guess you read it as brownton is closer to jonesborough than smithville is closer to Jonesborough.

Jonesborough

Smithville

|
|
| 50 km
|
|

Jonesborough.

|
|
| 50km
|
|

Browntown

#

I guess you read it as brownton is closer to jonesborough than smithville is closer to Jonesborough.

Yeah, that's the way they should have worded it. 8/10 the drug one got me too because...yeah I'm not seeing it.

9/10 except for the drug question. I see what they are going for but the way they set it up, seems like they are trying to draw a correlation. In any scientific study if you constantly have a control group not getting better, and every time someone takes a drug they are getting better, that seems pretty logical to conclude Y is doing something.
No it doesn't. What about the placebo affect? To be truly scientific such a study would have to have a double blind negative control. In the case of a drug study that would mean one group receives the drug, another group does not and a third group receives a placebo. You are right that the premises demonstrate a correlation but the conclusion that was drawn was a logical fallacy as the premises did not prove causation they only show a correlation. Remember a correlation does not equal causation. This is why the correct answer was "false" as the conclusion is a logical fallacy.

Last edited:

Jonesborough

Smithville

|
|
| 50 km
|
|

Jonesborough.

|
|
| 50km
|
|

Browntown

#

Ah! Thank you. It makes more sense when written out like that. I let the language confuse me.

Not necessarily. And it is illogical to presume the question is asked relative to a drug trial

my guess is you misread something.

Nope, I pasted both on a notepad and looked at them word for word. Try it and see what you get.

Test 1

• Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough.
  • Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown.
Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville.True
False
Test 2

• Smithville is around 50 kilometres north of Jonesborough.
  • Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres north of Browntown.
Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville. True
False

Nope, I pasted both on a notepad and looked at them word for word. Try it and see what you get.

Test 1

• Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough.
  • Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown.
Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville.True
False
Test 2

• Smithville is around 50 kilometres north of Jonesborough.
  • Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres north of Browntown.
Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville. True
False

I suppose that's why the web site is named "all fun and games". They're messing with people's heads.

Kudos for spotting the "irregularity", Christie. Did you contact the site and let them know they're messing with the wrong gal? :)

I've been tempted to take the LSAT. I know sever MD's who decided to earn a JD as well and they told me that by no means is it easy but it's still a walk n the woods compared to the MCAT exam.

Back