Lapel Camera's on cops reduce complaints by 88%

Timshel

Lapel Cameras on cops reduce complaints by 88%

Ultra conservatives, like grind, will claim that minorities stop resisting when you turn on the camera, but it never seemed to stop the drunk rednecks on Cops.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ear-a-lapel-camera-while-on-duty/?tid=rssfeed

Police officers in Rialto, Calif., carry cameras to record their every action while on duty. The city says the program has reduced complaints against police officers by 88 percent during the first year.

The idea is sparking debate across the country. On Wednesday, the American Civil Liberties Union endorsed the idea. In a short position paper endorsing the idea, it also emphasized the potential for the technology to be misused, and recommended policies to minimize the potential downsides.

"Although we generally take a dim view of the proliferation of surveillance cameras in American life, police on-body cameras are different because of their potential to serve as a check against the abuse of power by police officers," the civil liberties group argues.
Of course, many police officers aren't thrilled at the idea of their every move being recorded. And some people who interact with the police might also regard the cameras as invasive.

So recording every minute of an officer's shift probably isn't practical. But if officers get to choose when to turn on the camera, there's a risk that they'll just turn it off before they do something that could later get them in trouble.

To deal with this problem, the ACLU advocates a "department-wide policy that mandates that police turn on recordings during every interaction with the public." And they think this requirement needs teeth. For example, the courts might have a rule excluding evidence collected by an officer who had his camera turned off.

But the advocacy group does favor some exceptions. For example, they would have the police comply with requests to deactivate their cameras before entering a private residence. Because such a request request would typically be caught on camera, they would be easy to verify after the fact.

The ACLU argues that most footage should be deleted quickly — "in weeks not years." Footage that is relevant to an arrest or a citizen complaint would be held for a longer period. Footage would be released to the public if the subject of a video consented to it.

Last edited:
only saw your post because i searched for my name.

I just wanted to let you know, I truly hope you get killed someday. I hope you get pancaked between two semis while on your motorcycle and they have to scrape you off the back. I hope your family burns to death.

only saw your post because i searched for my name.

I just wanted to let you know, I truly hope you get killed someday. I hope you get pancaked between two semis while on your motorcycle and they have to scrape you off the back. I hope your family burns to death.

Oh that's low, wishing my family ill. I hope your family's dreams come true and you choke to death on a cheetoh while they pretend not to notice.

Ultra conservatives, like grind, will claim that minorities stop resisting when you turn on the camera, but it never seemed to stop the drunk rednecks on Cops.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ear-a-lapel-camera-while-on-duty/?tid=rssfeed

Police officers in Rialto, Calif., carry cameras to record their every action while on duty. The city says the program has reduced complaints against police officers by 88 percent during the first year.

The idea is sparking debate across the country. On Wednesday, the American Civil Liberties Union endorsed the idea. In a short position paper endorsing the idea, it also emphasized the potential for the technology to be misused, and recommended policies to minimize the potential downsides.

"Although we generally take a dim view of the proliferation of surveillance cameras in American life, police on-body cameras are different because of their potential to serve as a check against the abuse of power by police officers," the civil liberties group argues.
Of course, many police officers aren't thrilled at the idea of their every move being recorded. And some people who interact with the police might also regard the cameras as invasive.

So recording every minute of an officer's shift probably isn't practical. But if officers get to choose when to turn on the camera, there's a risk that they'll just turn it off before they do something that could later get them in trouble.

To deal with this problem, the ACLU advocates a "department-wide policy that mandates that police turn on recordings during every interaction with the public." And they think this requirement needs teeth. For example, the courts might have a rule excluding evidence collected by an officer who had his camera turned off.

But the advocacy group does favor some exceptions. For example, they would have the police comply with requests to deactivate their cameras before entering a private residence. Because such a request request would typically be caught on camera, they would be easy to verify after the fact.

The ACLU argues that most footage should be deleted quickly — "in weeks not years." Footage that is relevant to an arrest or a citizen complaint would be held for a longer period. Footage would be released to the public if the subject of a video consented to it.

I think it makes a lot of sense for officers to record their interactions with the public. The public should also be able to record these interactions.

There need to be controls on how the videos are used - they should be used to ensure officers are acting appropriately; they should be available to the member of the public if requested to assist with defense; they should NOT end up on YouTube with context possibly altered.

I think it makes a lot of sense for officers to record their interactions with the public. The public should also be able to record these interactions.

There need to be controls on how the videos are used - they should be used to ensure officers are acting appropriately; they should be available to the member of the public if requested to assist with defense; they should NOT end up on YouTube with context possibly altered.

No, they SHOULD end up on Youtube. They should be available without question to ANY member of the public.

No, they SHOULD end up on Youtube. They should be available without question to ANY member of the public.

The reason I think not is because they aren't just filming the cop - they are filming the citizen who may or may not be guilty of a crime.

I got pulled over for a headlight being out. I would not want that interaction on YouTube for anyone to see, to possibly download and modify the video, to know what kind of car I drive, etc.

The whole "stop and frisk" crap in New York - yes, it should be filmed to ensure the cops' good behavior. But the kids who are stopped shouldn't give up their rights to privacy and be spread all over YouTube.

The reason I think not is because they aren't just filming the cop - they are filming the citizen who may or may not be guilty of a crime.

I got pulled over for a headlight being out. I would not want that interaction on YouTube for anyone to see, to possibly download and modify the video, to know what kind of car I drive, etc.

The whole "stop and frisk" crap in New York - yes, it should be filmed to ensure the cops' good behavior. But the kids who are stopped shouldn't give up their rights to privacy and be spread all over YouTube.

Valid point. Also, EVERYONE should record cops, no matter what they're doing.

how many times have we heard that there's no expectation of privacy out in public?

how many times have we heard that there's no expectation of privacy out in public?

Are you 'out in public' in your car? There are statutes that consider the car your property. And police also need permission or probable cause to search your car.

yet they are allowed to use LP readers at will. so yes, you are out in public in your car.

LOL Your car is out in public. And the LP is designed specifically to inform.

Like I said, there are laws governing cars as property and they differ from state to state. Search & seizure, probable cause, those are state and fed.

LOL Your car is out in public. And the LP is designed specifically to inform.

Like I said, there are laws governing cars as property and they differ from state to state. Search & seizure, probable cause, those are state and fed.
and a police officers actions, while on duty, is public therefore any interaction with a private citizen in the line of duty is also public.

and a police officers actions, while on duty, is public therefore any interaction with a private citizen in the line of duty is also public.

I agree except that the example I commented on was someone being video'd INSIDE her car....being given a ticket or something.

So I can see that being an invasion of privacy, it could (I say 'could') be construed as the same as in your home because some statutes treat your car or RV as the same as your home.

Ok to record cops....not so much the person inside. I can see that being tricky in court. And I can see we, the private citizens, losing.

I didnt mean to be adversarial or overly critical....I think this is an interesting topic for discussion.

The authorities trying to limit or prevent the public from recording police in public is an especially scary thing (altho not the topic of this thread, it's related).

Back