Just Curious

Steelplate

All the nastiness and vitriol that gets posted on here. Are people really interested in useful discussion and debate, or is it all about one upping each other?
I mean, I get that political discussion is polarizing, but it just seems that the medium of message boards really doesn't promote civil discourse.

In short? I think it's getting pretty toxic around here. Which is a shame...and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular. Just noting on the general environment lately.

All the nastiness and vitriol that gets posted on here. Are people really interested in useful discussion and debate, or is it all about one upping each other?
I mean, I get that political discussion is polarizing, but it just seems that the medium of message boards really doesn't promote civil discourse.

In short? I think it's getting pretty toxic around here. Which is a shame...and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular. Just noting on the general environment lately.

This is the internet in summer. But in general, yeah most people here don't really want to debate. We've tried getting participation in debate tourney's for example, and if we get 8 names we're lucky. Threedee is the reigning champ and I'm second in case you were wondering.

This is the internet in summer. But in general, yeah most people here don't really want to debate. We've tried getting participation in debate tourney's for example, and if we get 8 names we're lucky. Threedee is the reigning champ and I'm second in case you were wondering.

That would be interesting. Who moderates the debates?

The summer is nice.
If people are posting on JPP during the summer, they are likely somewhere that is keeping them from enjoying the summer to the fullest.
Or they have no lives and are bitter, and the beautiful summer just reminds them all the more
Mix that in with the highly contentious zimmerman verdict, and you have the perfect storm of JPP drama

but I remember very clearly the three sisters went full psycho last summer. Darla especially. I think that was during the whole tosh.o thing. The year before that we banned ID around august. I am telling you, it's something about summers.

I always enjoy your posts, Steelplate. You remind me a bit of leaningright, though you're more leaning left. You always keep it civil.

I do my best, but sometimes, other posters just really piss me off.

That GZ thread that went on & on & on was certainly vitriolic, but - as Damo pointed out - it also included some of the best discussion we've had on here in ages. I'm not sure if you can have one w/out the other when it comes to politics.

but I remember very clearly the three sisters went full psycho last summer. Darla especially. I think that was during the whole tosh.o thing. The year before that we banned ID around august. I am telling you, it's something about summers.

What happened w/ tosh.o? I actually kind of hate that show.

I always enjoy your posts, Steelplate. You remind me a bit of leaningright, though you're more leaning left. You always keep it civil.

I do my best, but sometimes, other posters just really piss me off.

That GZ thread that went on & on & on was certainly vitriolic, but - as Damo pointed out - it also included some of the best discussion we've had on here in ages. I'm not sure if you can have one w/out the other when it comes to politics.

yeah I have to say our new posters are top notch. Both tekky and steel. I am very glad to have them here. Only downside is that Tekky is so normal I don't know if she'll be able to last here for long, not with all us crazies.

yeah I have to say our new posters are top notch. Both tekky and steel. I am very glad to have them here. Only downside is that Tekky is so normal I don't know if she'll be able to last here for long, not with all us crazies.

Eh, as far as boots go we could (and did) do a lot worse than those two.

Tosh made a rape joke. Among other highlights from the thread, I said I chuckled at it.

I probably would have come down on the anti-tosh side in that one. His show definitely has some mysoginistic elements, and his humor is just mean-spirited overall. I've never been a slip on the banana peel kind of guy when it comes to humor.

I won't let my kids watch (one of the few shows I draw the line on - the other is Family Guy, though that one can be hilarious).

I probably would have come down on the anti-tosh side in that one. His show definitely has some mysoginistic elements, and his humor is just mean-spirited overall. I've never been a slip on the banana peel kind of guy when it comes to humor.

I won't let my kids watch (one of the few shows I draw the line on - the other is Family Guy, though that one can be hilarious).

Family Guy is the worst program on the air.

I understand Family Guy... I won't let my kids watch it, but I do.

Back