Is There A Fix For S.N.A.P.? Or is it just done?

Anti-Party

Tea Is The New Kool-Aid
We know food stamps/ebt were a good hearted attempt to feed people that need food. It wasn't made to buy votes like the idiots say, it was made so the children of worst case scenario families didn't suffer like they do in third world Countries.

But since there is now law that requires someone to prove they are the owner of the EBT card, EBT cards are being traded for nearly anything.

Drugs is the most notable. Drug dealers are trading drugs for EBT cards everywhere. "When we do search warrants on drug homes, we usually find 10 to 15 EBT cards," http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120508/breaking/120509610

I personally know people who use to work at Schwans Foods that stated "Big profits are made in the projects. When you are in a the projects and someone gleamingly clean walks up to you with a stack of EBT cards with different names, you don't question them. It's dangerous to question them. It's 100% commission so you just take what you can get" Schwans sells high end food delivered to your door, even in the projects http://www.schwans.com/products/categoryDetail.aspx?c1=10428&incmpid=hp_n_1_2_Meat

They are being sold on Craigslist http://www.krqe.com/news/politics/woman-sells-food-stamps-on-craigslist Note; It's not just one instance, it's many and this is only 1 link.

Should we take the Right Wing path and end the SNAP program because it has flaws? Should we take the Left path and keep ignoring/justifying flaws?

What's the answer here people. I'm pretty sure most of America wants to feed the people who can't feed themselves and will agree to do this through taxation. But ignoring abuse is just as extreme as ignoring a fix.

29 views and no responses now. We know that EBT is being used in Horse Track races. Events like this should be significant and talked about. Stop "internet searching" the answer and talk about it like you have a brain.

I understand that there is abuse of the cards,but by no means does that mean that the food stamp. s program should be shut down. Abuse happens with all programs. The biggest abuse is corporations receiving government aid in the billions of dollars in American taxes that they dont need,but no one on the right seems to be complaining about that waste of tax dollars.
Then there is the bottomless pit of funding to the military.Worrying about the poor getting more money then they should pales in comparison.To the abuses of the right.

What Wanderingbear said!

And my guess is abuses of EBTs are overstated in order to try and shut down the program for everyone, not just those who abuse it.

I understand that there is abuse of the cards,but by no means does that mean that the food stamp. s program should be shut down. Abuse happens with all programs. The biggest abuse is corporations receiving government aid in the billions of dollars in American taxes that they dont need,but no one on the right seems to be complaining about that waste of tax dollars.
Then there is the bottomless pit of funding to the military.Worrying about the poor getting more money then they should pales in comparison.To the abuses of the right.

Isn't the military taking the biggest hit with the sequester? And look at all the complaining about how it's hurting the economy and cutting jobs and dangerous for the military and our country. We've heard calls for years to cut military spending and now look at what happens when we do...

Isn't the military taking the biggest hit with the sequester? And look at all the complaining about how it's hurting the economy and cutting jobs and dangerous for the military and our country. We've heard calls for years to cut military spending and now look at what happens when we do...

Yeah, companies whine when their honey jar of money is taken away.

We know food stamps/ebt were a good hearted attempt to feed people that need food. It wasn't made to buy votes like the idiots say, it was made so the children of worst case scenario families didn't suffer like they do in third world Countries.

But since there is now law that requires someone to prove they are the owner of the EBT card, EBT cards are being traded for nearly anything.

Drugs is the most notable. Drug dealers are trading drugs for EBT cards everywhere. "When we do search warrants on drug homes, we usually find 10 to 15 EBT cards," http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20120508/breaking/120509610

I personally know people who use to work at Schwans Foods that stated "Big profits are made in the projects. When you are in a the projects and someone gleamingly clean walks up to you with a stack of EBT cards with different names, you don't question them. It's dangerous to question them. It's 100% commission so you just take what you can get" Schwans sells high end food delivered to your door, even in the projects http://www.schwans.com/products/categoryDetail.aspx?c1=10428&incmpid=hp_n_1_2_Meat

They are being sold on Craigslist http://www.krqe.com/news/politics/woman-sells-food-stamps-on-craigslist Note; It's not just one instance, it's many and this is only 1 link.

Should we take the Right Wing path and end the SNAP program because it has flaws? Should we take the Left path and keep ignoring/justifying flaws?

What's the answer here people. I'm pretty sure most of America wants to feed the people who can't feed themselves and will agree to do this through taxation. But ignoring abuse is just as extreme as ignoring a fix.

What's the percentage of fraud though? I have always read it is very low. You will never stop it completely. If it's still very low, eh. You can't make a perfect system.

Years ago when first studying sociology, most 'welfare' was provided directly to people by government. Housing? Here's the housing. Food? Pick up the food.

My school, (U of Chicago) was doing studies, backing actual Nixon approach, (though he had resigned by then) of giving vouchers to those receiving welfare more control. Housing-to-invest in was one program, (sort of a rent-to-buy). Mixed results, though at the time there were 'qualifications' that the participants had to meet.

It certainly made sense to me. I do wonder about today's numbers though.

I live in an area that has been described mostly as 'absence of poverty' though the recent years has changed that. Working part time in drug/convenience store brings me in contact with some SNAP folks that are clearly trying to stretch their purchasing power, but many whom obviously could do without.

One cannot get to this store without a car, #1 reason urban poor are 'stuck' with local retailers ripping them off, whether their own $$ or programs, lack of competition. Not true here. While our store has below market prices when milk, eggs, cheese, pizzas and junk food are on sale, that is about it.

When adults or even teens come in to buy sale items and that's it, use SNAP they are saving $$ from the big food chains. I do the same. When a group of kids with or without adult come in and buy chips, candy, pop or Monster Drinks and one kid uses a SNAP card, there are problems. This is not an infrequent occurrence. Granted, it may be a new, 'keep up with the Jone's type of deal that has blossomed locally, it's only anecdotal.

However, as this is a very competitive market regarding grocery purchasing, if one spends $200 a month at one grocery, they will get !0% of all produce; meat; and .20 off each gallon of gas purchased at Mobil, which often has the lowest gas prices around. So that $200 is worth much more. It was that type of savvy shopping that was predicted to occur with eliminating 'payments in kind.'

What Wanderingbear said!

And my guess is abuses of EBTs are overstated in order to try and shut down the program for everyone, not just those who abuse it.

I don't want to put personal information out there but I have seen this first hand. People carrying a stack of EBT cards. It's not an attack on EBT. It's more like we should accept there is fraud, notice it, study it and fix it. Otherwise we will lose it.

But neither party wants to police it. They want more of it or none of it.

who is selling them?

things get stolen you fucking lie mongers

That is a valid point but first off, chill the fuck out kid. Make your point without sounding like these Fox News crazies.

It very well could be that people are stealing them. But shouldn't there be a measure taken to ensure the person using an EBT card is the person the money is for?

Also you are ignoring hundreds of articles on this you can search for yourself by calling me a lie monger. The internet is below your fingers, use it.

I don't want to put personal information out there but I have seen this first hand. People carrying a stack of EBT cards. It's not an attack on EBT. It's more like we should accept there is fraud, notice it, study it and fix it. Otherwise we will lose it.

But neither party wants to police it. They want more of it or none of it.

It is policed, but it is up to citizens like yourself to report the fact that you saw this store taking these EBT cards, and that an individual had a stack of them.

What's the percentage of fraud though? I have always read it is very low. You will never stop it completely. If it's still very low, eh. You can't make a perfect system.

I've done research on it and the closest number I ever came up with is 2% that provided proof. But that is total welfare fraud, not just EBT. But I've seen it first hand with my eyes. One person will carry stacks of these cards. Government fraud is going crazy.

My stem in this is that I hate that the Right notices this and wants to end all welfare in the big picture. But the Left doesn't notice this and wants more of it. I say we need to discuss how to police the fraud better so the people who truly need the assistance can get it.

I've done research on it and the closest number I ever came up with is 2% that provided proof. But that is total welfare fraud, not just EBT. But I've seen it first hand with my eyes. One person will carry stacks of these cards. Government fraud is going crazy.

My stem in this is that I hate that the Right notices this and wants to end all welfare in the big picture. But the Left doesn't notice this and wants more of it. I say we need to discuss how to police the fraud better so the people who truly need the assistance can get it.

I'd like those that truly need it to have enough to make sense. Same as my take on most programs, get rid of cheaters and give the whole amount to those that need. Might not be in benefits, but in training or related.

It is policed, but it is up to citizens like yourself to report the fact that you saw this store taking these EBT cards, and that an individual had a stack of them.

Here is the bigger point. IMO EBT cards should not be used for the most expensive groceries on the market like Schwans foods. It should be narrowed down to certain foods like the WIC program. There should also be a law stating someone with an EBT card has to show ID and prove they are the owner of the card. This seems common sense to me.

When we police welfare it keeps profit focused Right wing media from using a single YouTube video of someone openly carrying out fraud to blind Americans of the huge corporate hand in their pocket.

Fraud for social programs is at all time low.

When Congress use to work together, they made changes to the fraud programs of most of the social benefits programs and they working.

Medicare with the passage of the Affordable Care Act and tighter control is really starting to cut fraud.

There is fraud in every aspect of life.

SNAP has 1% -1.3% fraud

I think 1% is pretty good.

I'd like those that truly need it to have enough to make sense. Same as my take on most programs, get rid of cheaters and give the whole amount to those that need. Might not be in benefits, but in training or related.

I can dig your perspective on this. I immediately thought of project housing where the people "can't get jobs" but the city pays someone to mow, landscape and maintain the houses. I'm pretty sure everyone knows how to mow.

I think that is what you are getting at. Work for welfare kind of thing.

29 views and no responses now. We know that EBT is being used in Horse Track races. Events like this should be significant and talked about. Stop "internet searching" the answer and talk about it like you have a brain.

You've scared off most lefties with that remark....lol

anyway,

If is not guns, its drugs......have you ever considered the actual people involved or the pinheads in the government that enable them....without even a cursory

attempt at oversight.....some people, maybe most, are just dishonest enough that when given an opportunity at personal gain with little or no risk will

cheat.....thats reality....a sad reality.

Back