IRAN CONTRA AT 25: REAGAN AND BUSH 'CRIMINAL LIABILITY' EVALUATIONS

christiefan915

Catalyst
Pretty much everyone knows how much I despised reagan, especially over Iran-Contra when he and bush swore under oath that they weren't in the loop or didn't remember what was going on.

Now seeing how many here are calling Obama a liar because of his comments about keeping your insurance policy, (comments made in the public forum and not in a court of law), I'm wondering, does this same reasoning applies to reagan, Bush, North etc. about their comments under oath?

Furthermore, the report states that reagan was showing clear signs of Alzheimer's while in office, which has been covered up now for over 25 years.

Washington D.C., November 25, 2011 –
President Ronald Reagan was briefed in advance about every weapons shipment in the Iran arms-for-hostages deals in 1985-86, and Vice President George H. W. Bush chaired a committee that recommended the mining of the harbors of Nicaragua in 1983, according to previously secret Independent Counsel assessments of "criminal liability" on the part of the two former leaders posted today by the National Security Archive...

...On Reagan, Mixter reported that the President was "briefed in advance" on each of the illicit sales of missiles to Iran. The criminality of the arms sales to Iran "involves a number of close legal calls," Mixter wrote. He found that it would be difficult to prosecute Reagan for violating the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) which mandates advising Congress about arms transfers through a third country-the U.S. missiles were transferred to Iran from Israel during the first phase of the operation in 1985-because Attorney General Meese had told the president the 1947 National Security Act could be invoked to supersede the AECA...

...As the Iran operations went forward, some of Reagan's own top officials certainly believed that the violation of the AECA as well as the failure to notify Congress of these covert operations were illegal-and prosecutable. In a dramatic meeting on December 7, 1985, Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger told the President that "washing [the] transaction thru Israel wouldn't make it legal." When Reagan responded that "he could answer charges of illegality but he couldn't answer charge that 'big strong President Reagan passed up a chance to free hostages,"

As the Iran operations went forward, some of Reagan's own top officials certainly believed that the violation of the AECA as well as the failure to notify Congress of these covert operations were illegal-and prosecutable. In a dramatic meeting on December 7, 1985, Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger told the President that "washing [the] transaction thru Israel wouldn't make it legal." When Reagan responded that "he could answer charges of illegality but he couldn't answer charge that 'big strong President Reagan passed up a chance to free hostages..."

...Despite the Mixter evaluations, Independent Counsel Lawrence Walsh continued to consider filing criminal indictments against both Reagan and Bush. In a final effort to determine Reagan's criminal liability and give him "one last chance to tell the truth," Walsh traveled to Los Angeles to depose Reagan in July 1992. "He was cordial and offered everybody licorice jelly beans but he remembered almost nothing," Walsh wrote in his memoir, Firewall, The Iran-Contra Conspiracy and Cover-Up. The former president was "disabled," and already showing clear signs of Althzeimers disease. "By the time the meeting had ended," Walsh remembered, "it was as obvious to the former president's counsel as it was to us that we were not going to prosecute Reagan."

http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB365/

Yes. So did Obama and Holder et all about F&F. And a myriad of other things. For someone who supposedly didn't vote for Obama, you sure are towing his line aweful hard.

I voted for him once, as I said before. It's just annoying to keep reading posts that "Obama is a liar" from the same people who'll go to their graves defending reagan and bush for their comments.

Pretty much everyone knows how much I despised reagan, especially over Iran-Contra when he and bush swore under oath that they weren't in the loop or didn't remember what was going on.

Now seeing how many here are calling Obama a liar because of his comments about keeping your insurance policy, (comments made in the public forum and not in a court of law), I'm wondering, does this same reasoning applies to reagan, Bush, North etc. about their comments under oath?

Furthermore, the report states that reagan was showing clear signs of Alzheimer's while in office, which has been covered up now for over 25 years.

Washington D.C., November 25, 2011 –
President Ronald Reagan was briefed in advance about every weapons shipment in the Iran arms-for-hostages deals in 1985-86, and Vice President George H. W. Bush chaired a committee that recommended the mining of the harbors of Nicaragua in 1983, according to previously secret Independent Counsel assessments of "criminal liability" on the part of the two former leaders posted today by the National Security Archive...

...On Reagan, Mixter reported that the President was "briefed in advance" on each of the illicit sales of missiles to Iran. The criminality of the arms sales to Iran "involves a number of close legal calls," Mixter wrote. He found that it would be difficult to prosecute Reagan for violating the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) which mandates advising Congress about arms transfers through a third country-the U.S. missiles were transferred to Iran from Israel during the first phase of the operation in 1985-because Attorney General Meese had told the president the 1947 National Security Act could be invoked to supersede the AECA...

...As the Iran operations went forward, some of Reagan's own top officials certainly believed that the violation of the AECA as well as the failure to notify Congress of these covert operations were illegal-and prosecutable. In a dramatic meeting on December 7, 1985, Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger told the President that "washing [the] transaction thru Israel wouldn't make it legal." When Reagan responded that "he could answer charges of illegality but he couldn't answer charge that 'big strong President Reagan passed up a chance to free hostages,"

As the Iran operations went forward, some of Reagan's own top officials certainly believed that the violation of the AECA as well as the failure to notify Congress of these covert operations were illegal-and prosecutable. In a dramatic meeting on December 7, 1985, Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger told the President that "washing [the] transaction thru Israel wouldn't make it legal." When Reagan responded that "he could answer charges of illegality but he couldn't answer charge that 'big strong President Reagan passed up a chance to free hostages..."

...Despite the Mixter evaluations, Independent Counsel Lawrence Walsh continued to consider filing criminal indictments against both Reagan and Bush. In a final effort to determine Reagan's criminal liability and give him "one last chance to tell the truth," Walsh traveled to Los Angeles to depose Reagan in July 1992. "He was cordial and offered everybody licorice jelly beans but he remembered almost nothing," Walsh wrote in his memoir, Firewall, The Iran-Contra Conspiracy and Cover-Up. The former president was "disabled," and already showing clear signs of Althzeimers disease. "By the time the meeting had ended," Walsh remembered, "it was as obvious to the former president's counsel as it was to us that we were not going to prosecute Reagan."

http://www2.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB365/
Sorry, didn't work. All I can think about is the inelegant lies that Obama has been telling for the past 5 years.

Sorry, didn't work. All I can think about is the inelegant lies that Obama has been telling for the past 5 years.

I think you need to revise this statement. All you guys can think about is what Clinton said 20 years ago and what Obama's been saying for the last five years, while conveniently ignoring all the reagan-Bush41-bush43 lies that can fill volumes.

And that was the point.

He didn't deserve the first two...

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-10-25/news/mn-7435_1_republican-national-committee

He cheated his way into office

GOP Memo Admits Plan Could 'Keep Black Vote Down'

October 25, 1986|From the Washington Post

NEWARK, N.J. — A Republican National Committee official calculated that a so-called ballot security program in Louisiana "could keep the black vote down considerably," according to documents released in federal court Friday.

The documents and court hearing were the latest developments in a controversy over the GOP's ballot program that Democrats maintain is aimed at reducing minority turnout. The Republicans say the program's sole purpose is to purge ineligible voters from voting roles.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-10-25/news/mn-7435_1_republican-national-committee

He cheated his way into office

GOP Memo Admits Plan Could 'Keep Black Vote Down'

October 25, 1986|From the Washington Post

NEWARK, N.J. — A Republican National Committee official calculated that a so-called ballot security program in Louisiana "could keep the black vote down considerably," according to documents released in federal court Friday.

The documents and court hearing were the latest developments in a controversy over the GOP's ballot program that Democrats maintain is aimed at reducing minority turnout. The Republicans say the program's sole purpose is to purge ineligible voters from voting roles.

Repubs gerrymandered the crap out of PA and they're actively pushing to get voter IDs legal. They're shameless in their power grabbing. It'll be a good day for PA when we can get that schmuck Corbett and his corrupt cronies unseated.

"Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R) said that the voter ID law passed by the legislature would help deliver the state for Mitt Romney in November.

"Pro-Second Amendment? The Castle Doctrine, it's done. First pro-life legislation - abortion facility regulations - in 22 years, done. Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done," Turzai said at this weekend's Republican State Committee meeting , according to PoliticsPA.com.

A spokesman for Turzai confirmed the accuracy of the quote for TPM but argued that people were reading too much into it.

"The fact is that while Pennsylvania Democrats don't like it to be talked about, there is election fraud," Turzai spokesman Stephen Miskin told TPM. "Protecting the integrity of an individual vote is the purpose of any election reform."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/pennsylvania-gop-leader-voter-id-will-help-romney-win-state

I think you need to revise this statement. All you guys can think about is what Clinton said 20 years ago and what Obama's been saying for the last five years, while conveniently ignoring all the reagan-Bush41-bush43 lies that can fill volumes.

And that was the point.

Clinton lied about sex, Obama lied about the "ACA", (and I'm not totally convinced he lied, he may just be stupid. I'll leave it up to you as to which is preferable: being a liar or being an incompetent boob). If Reagan lied, it was part of the overall strategy for winning the cold war. I voted for Bush 41 because as a former director of the CIA, I KNEW he was a liar and a crook, and as such, was better prepared to deal with the other liars and crooks all over the world. You lefties constantly call Bush 43 a liar AND an idiot, but as I've pointed out before, he dragged a lot of democrats along for the ride to Iraq. So what does that make those guys? Liars or idiots?

I try to never blame one person for anything PERSONALLY. Yes, I know liberals love to smear Bush's name and NO I dont think he was a good president, but I know he's not solely to blame for the war, or the recession. I do however find the amount of profiteering that came about from the war highly immoral although probably par for the course in the days since Iran/Contra.

Last edited:
Back