I'm not sure what this says about Americans ....

tekkychick

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/25/1039957/-STUNNING-Comparing-U-S-World-Covers-for-TIME-Magazine?detail=email

Each week, TIME Magazine designs covers for four markets: the U.S., Europe, Asia and the South Pacific. Often, America's cover is quite, well – different. This week offers a stark example.

Yes, what you see is TIME devoting its cover in international markets to a critical moment in Egypt's revolution – perhaps the most important global story this week – while offering Americans the chance to contemplate their collective navels (with a rather banal topic and supposition, to boot).

See the article for the cover examples for this week, as well as some past ones.

My first thought was does anyone still read Time? I understand the point they are trying to make but considering how few people read their magazine is it relevant?

My first thought was does anyone still read Time? I understand the point they are trying to make but considering how few people read their magazine is it relevant?

I assume they are trying to boost their readership ... and that they think an article about stress will appeal to Americans more than articles about what is going on in Egypt.

They may be right; just wondering why we don't care more about what's going on in the world.

I assume they are trying to boost their readership ... and that they think an article about stress will appeal to Americans more than articles about what is going on in Egypt.

They may be right; just wondering why we don't care more about what's going on in the world.

I'm wondering why you think what Time chooses to run on their cover has anything to do with americans? They don't represent anyone or anything except themselves.

Americans have gone elsewhere to find news. How is it you think they don't care?

Americans today don't care what's happening in the rest of the world. They're more concerned with paranoid falsehoods like our government listening in to us calling our vets to make an appointment for our dog while terrorists, local and foreign, are plotting our demise via the Internet.

Funny thing is, no nation has seen such an insane level of paranoia since McCarthyism. And Germany in the 1930's.

I'm wondering why you think what Time chooses to run on their cover has anything to do with americans? They don't represent anyone or anything except themselves.

Americans have gone elsewhere to find news. How is it you think they don't care?

Another narrow minded observation based upon one's own habits. You may not read TIME or other magazines, but hundreds of thousands do.

Well I think it says something very plain and obvious; they want as much money as possible.

They're more concerned with paranoid falsehoods like our government listening in to us calling our vets to make an appointment for our dog while terrorists, local and foreign, are plotting our demise via the Internet.

you seriously need to kill yourself asap. Your generation fucking sucks.

"paranoid falsehoods like the government listening in to us"

enjoy being on the side of rove, you fascist. you are dooming us to a police state.

I think many do care about what's going on in the world, the question is why the MSM really fails to cover things before they become bloodbaths. It's been a good 15 years since I dropped my subscriptions to TIME, Newsweek, and US New & World Report. They were not telling me anything I hadn't already read from folks on the ground via internet, much less actually.

Since 9/11 it's only gotten better for internet journalism, which certainly explains the Dick Durbin mantra that only 'if hired' by a media outlet should they be considered journalists. That ship sailed years ago, Durbin was too busy stuffing his pockets to notice.

Back