How can I get invested in this emerging market...?

Jarod

Contributor
With the social conservatives in a tail-spin we have a new emerging market that is going to be huge. I want to get in on the ground floor of the emerging legal marijuana industry.

Any suggestions?

Well, since the federal government still considers it illegal it is difficult. It is a cash only business as the banks will not allow the owners to open an account, they can't cash checks and/or use credit cards because of the federal proscriptions against money laundering.

This means that until you can get the feds to drop marijuana from the level 1 narcotics list you'll only be able to directly invest by owning one of the businesses in a legal state.

It isn't like a stake for your local grower is available on the market.

Well, since the federal government still considers it illegal it is difficult. It is a cash only business as the banks will not allow the owners to open an account, they can't cash checks and/or use credit cards because of the federal proscriptions against money laundering.

This means that until you can get the feds to drop marijuana from the level 1 narcotics list you'll only be able to directly invest by owning one of the businesses in a legal state.

It isn't like a stake for your local grower is available on the market.

I expect that will happen sooner than later. Depending on who the Republicans nominate for president.

It seems to me that there are ways around the Credit Card deal, with the emergence of Bitcoins and other internet transactions. Alternative banks are popping up for all kinds of businesses. I thought, correct me if I am wrong, the Fed said they would allow the banking portion of this business if it was done in States where marijuana was legal under State law.

I expect that will happen sooner than later. Depending on who the Republicans nominate for president.

It seems to me that there are ways around the Credit Card deal, with the emergence of Bitcoins and other internet transactions. Alternative banks are popping up for all kinds of businesses. I thought, correct me if I am wrong, the Fed said they would allow the banking portion of this business if it was done in States where marijuana was legal under State law.

Nope. They said they won't raid the businesses so long as the states ensured that it was still illegal on federal land and the banks continue their ban on accounts for the businesses.

Because of this there is a theory that it is a way to "get" the businesses for tax evasion, the same way they "got" Al Capone.

Nope. They said they won't raid the businesses so long as the states ensured that it was still illegal on federal land and the banks continue their ban on accounts for the businesses.

Because of this there is a theory that it is a way to "get" the businesses for tax evasion.

So is this ban one imposed by the banks, or the Government?

"Silk Road provided an anonymous site where drug dealers, counterfeiters and other criminals could shop for everything from heroin to hit men"

I'm not talking about Heroin or hit men, I am talking about Marijuana.

:good4u:

Invest in big tobacco companies, they will be the new corporate growers of Marijuana when it becomes legal.

So, you think that the feds caused Colorado to legalize marijuana in an effort to set up the dealers?

It doesnt even need to be that 'conspiratorial'. All the feds have to do is lax their enforcement and send out signals they will not enforce, and just allow it to happen. And i dont think the goal is actually to bust dealers, I think its to get individuals. Most cool people love weed. It's a war on cool people.

It doesnt even need to be that 'conspiratorial'. All the feds have to do is lax their enforcement and send out signals they will not enforce, and just allow it to happen. And i dont think the goal is actually to bust dealers, I think its to get individuals. Most cool people love weed. It's a war on cool people.

The feds don't generally prosecute individual users, at least not individuals with less than 20g on them at a time.

Back