Holders war on private school vouchers...

There is a right and a wrong way to run a voucher system and here in Florida we have examples of both.

Here is the problem I have with the voucher system. It is sometimes used as an excuse to provide a poor education to children and to get around educational standards. We have these ONLINE schools here where they are substituting a school experience with an online experience and the kids are suffering.

Now, my son goes to a voucher school and I really like it. They are more flexible and are able to accommodate children as individuals.

With proper regulation Voucher schools are great, I simply fear the Republicans desire and ability to regulate instead of turning it into a profit based situation where the educational system is turned into the educational equivalent of McDonalds nutrition.

There is a right and a wrong way to run a voucher system and here in Florida we have examples of both.

Here is the problem I have with the voucher system. It is sometimes used as an excuse to provide a poor education to children and to get around educational standards. We have these ONLINE schools here where they are substituting a school experience with an online experience and the kids are suffering.

Now, my son goes to a voucher school and I really like it. They are more flexible and are able to accommodate children as individuals.

With proper regulation Voucher schools are great, I simply fear the Republicans desire and ability to regulate instead of turning it into a profit based situation where the educational system is turned into the educational equivalent of McDonalds nutrition.

I would agree that an online voucher system doesn't sound like a good idea. Had not heard of any such thing for k-12 before.

I believe that for some Republicans it is what they see as the first step toward eliminating universal free education in this country.

I would agree that an online voucher system doesn't sound like a good idea. Had not heard of any such thing for k-12 before.

Yeah, I've heard of several (high school) athletes that have taken on line classes trying to catch up and qualify for college but I've not heard of actual online high schools. Not sure why they would provide vouchers for those. That's weird.

I believe that for some Republicans it is what they see as the first step toward eliminating universal free education in this country.

what are you talking about? Voucher programs provide the same 'free' education that is currently provided. They simply change who gets the funding and that change is decided by the parents. How would this in any way eliminate 'free' public education?

Yeah, I've heard of several (high school) athletes that have taken on line classes trying to catch up and qualify for college but I've not heard of actual online high schools. Not sure why they would provide vouchers for those. That's weird.

I took a look upon seeing Jarod's post and there is one advertising here in CO. But it requires you to input all your information to get 'further information' on how the program works. So they are apparently out there.

We have them in PA...they're called "Cyber-schools" here. Now, we don't have a voucher system and they are overseen by the individual districts...but we have them.

TO save and make money, that's why they are doing it.

By allowing (minority) children in failing schools an opportunity to go to a better school?

You were giving the definition of conservative earlier and defines exactly what you want to do right here. CONSERVE the education status quo. That thousands and thousands of poor (minority) children are stuck in failing inner city schools is ok with you because it doesn't really effect you personally and it goes against your ideology.

People can throw out 'racist', 'racist' chants all they want but there is nothing less caring to me than watching year after year after year of low inner city minority graduation rates and fighting to make sure nothing changes other than saying "we need more money".

There are obviously many reasons why some groups of kids struggle so much in school. There's not one easy solution. And vouchers are not a panacea that will solve all ills. But the status quo is clearly not working yet we have people who fight tooth and nail against any change.

By allowing (minority) children in failing schools an opportunity to go to a better school?

You were giving the definition of conservative earlier and defines exactly what you want to do right here. CONSERVE the education status quo. That thousands and thousands of poor (minority) children are stuck in failing inner city schools is ok with you because it doesn't really effect you personally and it goes against your ideology.

People can throw out 'racist', 'racist' chants all they want but there is nothing less caring to me than watching year after year after year of low inner city minority graduation rates and fighting to make sure nothing changes other than saying "we need more money".

There are obviously many reasons why some groups of kids struggle so much in school. There's not one easy solution. And vouchers are not a panacea that will solve all ills. But the status quo is clearly not working yet we have people who fight tooth and nail against any change.

They are attempting to get to a status quo that is way outdated, back before we had universal education.

I had dinner with a man who runs an online charter school, he was in it for THE MONEY, and he was making it!

These kids are given an inferior education while the owner of the school is taking public tax money that was for schools and is pocketing it.

I had dinner with a man who runs an online charter school, he was in it for THE MONEY, and he was making it!

These kids are given an inferior education while the owner of the school is taking public tax money that was for schools and is pocketing it.

funny how you are always having dinner or running into people who fit the stereo types you want to portray.

Back