Governor Bobby Jindal Wants Religion-Based Program to Receive Federal Money

Timshel

A few months ago, the Bossier Sheriff’s Office in Louisiana lost $15,000 in federal funding because of the nature of its Young Marine Program. The program actually sounds decent, promoting the “mental, moral and physical development of its young recruits.”

The problem lies in the more detailed description:

Upon joining the Young Marines, each recruit will undergo basic recruit training for a minimum of 26 hours. During this time, the youth will have the opportunity to learn military history, customs and courtesies, close order drill,, physical fitness, rank structure and other subjects pertaining to life skills. Most importantly, the youth will learn to bond and relate with other young recruits and the opportunity to interact with caring adult mentors that are committed to providing them with a safe place to develop and grow with special emphasis on the love of God and fidelity to our country.

Why is the Sheriff’s Department teaching kids about the “love of God”?

That’s not the only issue. There’s also the Young Marine Obligation:

From this day forward, I sincerely promise, I will set an example for all other youth to follow and I shall never do anything that would bring disgrace or dishonor upon my God, my Country and its flag, my parents, myself or the Young Marines. These I will honor and respect in a manner that will reflect credit upon them and myself. Semper Fidelis.

There’s also one of the five parts of the Young Marine Creed:

(#3) Keep myself clean in mind by attending the church of my faith.

Can we admit this is a religious program?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...ed-program-to-receive-15000-in-federal-money/

A few months ago, the Bossier Sheriff’s Office in Louisiana lost $15,000 in federal funding because of the nature of its Young Marine Program. The program actually sounds decent, promoting the “mental, moral and physical development of its young recruits.”

The problem lies in the more detailed description:

Why is the Sheriff’s Department teaching kids about the “love of God”?

That’s not the only issue. There’s also the Young Marine Obligation:

There’s also one of the five parts of the Young Marine Creed:

Can we admit this is a religious program?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...ed-program-to-receive-15000-in-federal-money/

Onward Christian soldiers!

Back