Good job blue

Timshel

That's a screwy way to end such an important game but it was the right call. Red Sox need to make less throws.

it was a bullshit call, and it's fucking awful to end a game that way, especially in the world series, and the rules should probably be looked at in the future or revised, which MLB will be doing as they take it under review.

that said, rules are rules, so sucks for us. Truth be told though I was still way more pissed at salty for getting fancy play syndrome in that spot. The next guy to the plate is hitting .200 and vs. koji it would have been lights out, not to mention the runner was always going to be safe at 3rd regardless. fucking dumbass throw by salty.

That game was so fucking tilting, I didn't watch any postgame coverage I just turned everything off. Sox would have been going into the top of their line up in the 10th, the cards bullpen was more starved than our bullpen, we were looking pretty good. very very annoying way to end that game.

HQrMbeK.png

it was a bullshit call, and it's fucking awful to end a game that way, especially in the world series, and the rules should probably be looked at in the future or revised, which MLB will be doing as they take it under review.

that said, rules are rules, so sucks for us. Truth be told though I was still way more pissed at salty for getting fancy play syndrome in that spot. The next guy to the plate is hitting .200 and vs. koji it would have been lights out, not to mention the runner was always going to be safe at 3rd regardless. fucking dumbass throw by salty.

That game was so fucking tilting, I didn't watch any postgame coverage I just turned everything off. Sox would have been going into the top of their line up in the 10th, the cards bullpen was more starved than our bullpen, we were looking pretty good. very very annoying way to end that game.

Well; the dumbass third basemen should know the rules and the dumbass third baseman shouldn't have tried to cheat.
It was the right call and the dumbass third baseman should be made to play in a clown's suit, for the rest of the series. :)

They talked tonight about whether they should change the rule. But how else could it be handled? Put the runner back? Call him out? No, it should penalize the fielders team for obstruction as it did. The rule should not be changed.

They talked tonight about whether they should change the rule. But how else could it be handled? Put the runner back? Call him out? No, it should penalize the fielders team for obstruction as it did. The rule should not be changed.

For once we agree.
If you penalize the runner, then the defense could obstruct at will.
The third basemen was not in the act of fielding the ball and should have stayed on the ground and for those complaining; are you aware that the offense can be penalized for obstruction also.
Do you want those penalties removed also?

what people are talking about is taking intention into account. Rather than penalizing someone through no fault of their own.

what people are talking about is taking intention into account. Rather than penalizing someone through no fault of their own.

But what would the result of the play have been if the umpire decided intent was not present? Out? That is not at all acceptable. He gets returned to third? That is just weird.

Intention is very hard to determine and the results would be no less controversial or unappealing. Honestly I would say it would be less appealing. I think they should leave the rule as it is.

I agree with your previous comment. It was a bad choice to throw by Salty. They deserved to lose based on it. Craig would have scored easily if they had not have become entangled.

But what would the result of the play have been if the umpire decided intent was not present? Out? That is not at all acceptable. He gets returned to third? That is just weird.

Intention is very hard to determine and the results would be no less controversial or unappealing. Honestly I would say it would be less appealing. I think they should leave the rule as it is.

I agree with your previous comment. It was a bad choice to throw by Salty. They deserved to lose based on it. Craig would have scored easily if they had not have become entangled.

Showing intent takes this into the realm of opinion and opinions are subjective.

I always hated infielders who obstructed the base paths when I played baseball. Usually I could count on running into a second-baseman or shortstop at least twice every season. I never had to deal with first-basemen until I started playing intramural softball - apparently no one knows how to cover first anymore without getting in the way of the runner.

My only hestitation with the call was finding out that the MLB's most incompetent umpire, Jim Joyce, is the one who made it.

I always hated infielders who obstructed the base paths when I played baseball. Usually I could count on running into a second-baseman or shortstop at least twice every season. I never had to deal with first-basemen until I started playing intramural softball - apparently no one knows how to cover first anymore without getting in the way of the runner.

My only hestitation with the call was finding out that the MLB's most incompetent umpire, Jim Joyce, is the one who made it.

So all of his calls have been incompetent?
How many good calls and how many "incompetent" can you list, over his entire career?

I said he's the "most incompetent" umpire. Let's say he gets 40% of close calls wrong at 1B, and 30% of balls/strikes calls wrong at Home. :cof1:

I said he's the "most incompetent" umpire. Let's say he gets 40% of close calls wrong at 1B, and 30% of balls/strikes calls wrong at Home. :cof1:

So you're presenting that he gets 40% of close calls wrong, at 1st base, and 30% of pitch calls at home, as a fact?

I was just remembering that the 2004 WS marked the centennial of Boston getting screwed out of the/their second possible WS championship in 1904 when the NL chickened out and boycotted. Not a bad way to break the Curse.

Back