George Will: Obama’s unconstitutional steps worse than Nixon’s

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
President Obama’s increasingly grandiose claims for presidential power are inversely proportional to his shriveling presidency. Desperation fuels arrogance as, barely 200 days into the 1,462 days of his second term, his pantry of excuses for failure is bare, his domestic agenda is nonexistent and his foreign policy of empty rhetorical deadlines and red lines is floundering. And at last week’s news conference he offered inconvenience as a justification for illegality.

Explaining his decision to unilaterally rewrite the Affordable Care Act (ACA), he said: “I didn’t simply choose to” ignore the statutory requirement for beginning in 2014 the employer mandate to provide employees with health care. No, “this was in consultation with businesses.”

He continued: “In a normal political environment, it would have been easier for me to simply call up the speaker and say, you know what, this is a tweak that doesn’t go to the essence of the law. . . . It looks like there may be some better ways to do this, let’s make a technical change to the law. That would be the normal thing that I would prefer to do. But we’re not in a normal atmosphere around here when it comes to Obamacare. We did have the executive authority to do so, and we did so.”

Serving as props in the scripted charade of White House news conferences, journalists did not ask the pertinent question: “Where does the Constitution confer upon presidents the ‘executive authority’ to ignore the separation of powers by revising laws?” The question could have elicited an Obama rarity: brevity. Because there is no such authority.

More at link...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...bd6cb2-044a-11e3-9259-e2aafe5a5f84_story.html

Funny, I was going to post the same this morning, but after all the drama from yesterday, decided to stay quiet. I think Will has nailed some issues, not necessarily impeachment. However, has come close to doing so, in ways so many with ODS haven't. Not there yet, hopefully won't come to that.

That he's abandoned the Constitution though? No longer a question.

The points he raises are valid. The Nixon thing is hilarious, though. I mean, you don't need to go too far back in history to find a President that ignored the laws passed by Congress. If George Will thinks really, really hard about it, I'm sure he could find a more recent example. Heck, he probably even wrote about it.

The points he raises are valid. The Nixon thing is hilarious, though. I mean, you don't need to go too far back in history to find a President that ignored the laws passed by Congress. If George Will thinks really, really hard about it, I'm sure he could find a more recent example. Heck, he probably even wrote about it.

Wonder if he complained about it then?

http://www.thegoldstandardnow.org/key-blogs/698-qsneak-peekq-george-wills-fantasy-question-on-gold

Sneak Peek:" George Will's Fantasy Question on Gold
Written by Ralph J. Benko Friday, September 02, 2011

This just in:

Politico, the favorite newspaper for political junkies, gives a "Sneak Peek" for George F. Will's Sunday "fantasy question" for the upcoming presidential debate providing ideas for Wednesday’s moderators, John F. Harris and Brian Williams:

For Rick Perry: … Would you solve the problems inherent in fiat money by returning to the gold standard? …

So why is it impossible for Liberal Communists like Desh to back a return to the gold Standard? Simple answer is that it would force the Federal Government to live within its fucking means!!! And if that means gutting Liberal Sacred cows, then so be it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Will

Economic issues[edit source]

Will supports low taxes, as he thinks that they stimulate economic growth and are more morally fair.[16] He was also opposed to both George W. Bush and Barack Obama's stimulus plans.[17] Will also supports abolishing the minimum wage [18] and creating voluntary personal retirement accounts in order to reduce the federal cost of Social Security.[19] In February 2013, Will wrote in support of a proposal by "relentlessly liberal" Sherrod Brown to break up consolidated banks and finance industry conglomerates, ending "Too big to fail" by restoring the Glass-Steagall Act.[20]

hmmmm maybe he cant decide where his ideas lie

Why is Nixon hilarious to you? Because he wasn't the most recent to compare to? Do you think someone else was worse than Nixon?

http://www.thegoldstandardnow.org/key-blogs/698-qsneak-peekq-george-wills-fantasy-question-on-gold

Sneak Peek:" George Will's Fantasy Question on Gold
Written by Ralph J. Benko Friday, September 02, 2011

This just in:

Politico, the favorite newspaper for political junkies, gives a "Sneak Peek" for George F. Will's Sunday "fantasy question" for the upcoming presidential debate providing ideas for Wednesday’s moderators, John F. Harris and Brian Williams:

For Rick Perry: … Would you solve the problems inherent in fiat money by returning to the gold standard? …

1) This has absolutely nothing to do with the column he wrote above which the thread is about.

2) You found a question someone else wrote that he wanted to ask a Presidential candidate. Do you have any article that George Will wrote, and he's sure wrote plenty of them, where he said he wanted the country to return to the gold standard?

Back