Gays In The Military: It's The Law, Dummy

Howey

Banned
AF SMSgt claims he was reassigned over religious views on gays.

Monk, an evangelical Christian, said the issue came up when he was advising his commander about a situation involving a staff sergeant who had expressed opposition to homosexuality on religious grounds — an opinion shared with trainees that might be a violation of an Air Force policy barring the use of a position of authority to promote personal religious beliefs.

Monk said he wanted the incident to be treated as a learning experience, but the commander wanted to do more. Monk said this led to a discussion in which the commander pressed him into saying he also had a moral objection to gay marriage.

Monk said it was a “very, very contentious” discussion, with the commander pressing him to agree that opposition to gay marriage was an act of discrimination. Monk said he told her: “I cannot answer your question because of my convictions.”

There's just soooo much wrong with this.

First, gays are in the military. Guess what, idiot? They always have been. You're being homophobic now because you know it. It's the law. Follow it or get the fuck out of the service.

Second, restrictions against proselytizing in the military have been around a lot longer. You still don't know not to push your evangelical bullshit on your fellow soldier?

Air Force policy, similar to that of the other services, holds that the government is neutral on religion. Air Force Instruction 1-1, a pocket guide to Air Force standards and culture, requires military leaders, officer and enlisted, to “avoid the actual or apparent use of their position to promote their personal religious beliefs to their subordinates or to extend preferential treatment for any religion.”

The policy warns leaders that to promote their personal religious beliefs “may cause members to doubt their impartiality and objectivity.”

The Air Force policy further states: “All airmen are able to choose to practice their particular religion, or subscribe to no religious belief at all. You should confidently practice your own beliefs while respecting others whose viewpoints differ from your own.”

And, it cautions, “your right to practice your religious beliefs does not excuse you from complying with directives, instructions and lawful orders.”

Shape up or ship out, dude.

I kinda like the expression "poor god"

I imagine god being really depressed on a cloud or something

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Galatians 6:7

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Galatians 6:7

That is not which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even death my die.
Necronomicon, on the Old Ones.

Back