For Topspin: The Most Expensive Colleges in the U.S.

University of Chicago has extensive financial aid available based on need. They also have huge numbers of scholarships available. I would guess that if the parents make less than $200k and the student qualifies for admission, they would be paying $20k or less per year.

From what I see, they are all private colleges....we have a couple near us and when I was a teen thinking about college, I went to the lesser expensive and closer one...and in the early 80's, it was $300/credit....I can't imagine what it is now....it's not on the list in the link though...actually, the more expensive and prestigious one isn't either.

Many of the most prestigious private colleges, not necessarily on the given list, have extensive financial help available. For a fact I know that if a student qualifies and applies in timely manner, if the income is under $100k they will be able to cover costs at U of C. It may take piecing together 30 or more scholarships each year, but it's doable.

Many of the most prestigious private colleges, not necessarily on the given list, have extensive financial help available. For a fact I know that if a student qualifies and applies in timely manner, if the income is under $100k they will be able to cover costs at U of C. It may take piecing together 30 or more scholarships each year, but it's doable.

As a parent who has sent two kids to college(still working on the second)....there needs to be less red tape involved. You say about stringing all those scholarships together...I can't imagine the legwork required to do that.

Hell, the FAFSCA alone is a nightmare to do the first time around....it gets a little easier in subsequent years because you're basically updating.

As a parent who has sent two kids to college(still working on the second)....there needs to be less red tape involved. You say about stringing all those scholarships together...I can't imagine the legwork required to do that.

Hell, the FAFSCA alone is a nightmare to do the first time around....it gets a little easier in subsequent years because you're basically updating.

To save $60k per year? Paperwork is worth it. A real job at that salary would be a lot more. ;) 30 years ago I did the scholarship piece together for a lot less. I didn't want my parents paying more than they had to.

3D, you see USC on the list? We represent! Now if the school could take all that money, get rid of Lane Kiffin, and get a real coach. I saw the remodeled UW stadium. Looked freaking nice.

Yep, I saw the work being done a while back when I was driving through the U District. Now the Huskies need to recreate their early 90s magic.

To save $60k per year? Paperwork is worth it. A real job at that salary would be a lot more. ;) 30 years ago I did the scholarship piece together for a lot less. I didn't want my parents paying more than they had to.

But, sadly, this isn't the case universally. For every person you can point out that got 60K a year for college, I can point to plenty more who couldn't.

Part of my strange time in high school was spent taking classes at a community college. During that time, I was faced with the reality that we have a class of people who work full time after graduation; who cut costs by attending an underfunded college; who have to help their parents get by. These are the smartest, often self-educated, individuals I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Annie, all across this country, people deal with the harsh cultural and economic conditions of their birth - some get through, some don't.

But, sadly, this isn't the case universally. For every person you can point out that got 60K a year for college, I can point to plenty more who couldn't.

Part of my strange time in high school was spent taking classes at a community college. During that time, I was faced with the reality that we have a class of people who work full time after graduation; who cut costs by attending an underfunded college; who have to help their parents get by. These are the smartest, often self-educated, individuals I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Annie, all across this country, people deal with the harsh cultural and economic conditions of their birth - some get through, some don't.

I've no doubt that's true. For that I'd say, blame the media and to an extent, the schools. Those 'struggling' are unlikely to have parents that know the 'ropes' of the universities. There's little doubt that in many cases smaller, private universities are in a better position to help the students financially and academically than many 'public universities.' FAFSA begins the financial aspect of scholarships and grants, but it's only the start. There are scholarships for academics, ethnic background, based on essays, certain life experiences, etc. Some might only be a couple grand, but those do add up.

Of course, if one is told 'you're wasting your time...' that's pretty difficult for most to persevere forward.

I am of the opinion.that for profit schools promise way more than.they can.deliver. it's all about the prestige that A Fordham degree can get you....or in my.area....a Bucknell.or Susquehanna.

98.4% of that is bullshit. If you go to a reputable school get decent grades a d.don't.have a.lot.of fuckups.on your work history.part of your resume....it really doesn't.matter where you go

I agree. My stepdaughter applied to a state university; she got a few thousand in aid, would still have had to get 8K in loans. And she was bright; not straight A's, but B+. She ended up not going for other reasons, but I was appalled at the cost.

The younger stepdaughter went to a community college - she did her last two years of high school at the community college and then stayed to get a bookkeeping certificate. Due to her mother's income being low, she got Pell grants to cover it post-high school. Her dad & I agreed to give her an allowance for bus fare and whatnot so she didn't have to work - which drove me crazy; didn't see why she couldn't work some while going, but her dad was worried about her making it. Wasn't all that much money. ANYWAY, she got a bookkeeping certificate, not a full AA, but it worked.

But no, not everyone can make it through the system to get a $60K education paid for. I look at the schools I went to, and they have quadrupled in cost; I wouldn't be going to them now.

Stanford has a program where if you get in, they will pay for whatever you can't afford - but how many people can get into Stanford?

Community college DOES have a lot of hardworking people taking classes there; and it's a good way to get in a couple years and then transfer to a four year if you want to.

Back