FBS Division reallignment

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
It appears that a realignment of the FBS (Division IA) has been agreed upon. It appears that 5 or 6 power conferences will be created with 12 to 14 teams in each super conference. The NCAA and the AD's of the power conferences have agreed to this in principle. However only two of those conferences make up are set. That's the SEC and the BIG 10. Who will consist of;

SEC East:
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Missouri
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt

West Division
Alabama
LSU
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Auburn
Arkansas
Mississippi State

Big 10:

East Division
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Indiana
Rutgers
Maryland

West Division
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois

The Pac 12 will probably expand to 14 teams and will probably pick up BYU and Boise State. Boise would go to the north division and BYU to the south so the PAC 14 would be;

Pac-12/14 Conf North Division

Stanford
Oregon State
Oregon
Washington
Washington State
California
Boise State

South Division
Arizona State
UCLA
Utah
Arizona
Colorado
USC
BYU

The ACC will lose Maryland to the BIG10. My guess is that with the second largest enrollment in the nation the ACC will pick up Central Florida. I also think the ACC would pick up Notre Dame and drop Duke. So the ACC would look like;

Atlantic Coast Conf
Atlantic Division
Florida State
Clemson
Boston College
Central Florida
Syracuse
North Carolina State
Wake Forest

Coastal Division
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh
Georgia Tech
Miami (FL)
Virginia
North Carolina
Notre Dame

Then you have the Big 12.

The Big 12 would need to pick up 2 to 4 teams to become the Big 12/14. My guess is they'll go to 14 teams. I think they'll scavange what's left of the American Athletic (Former Big East). Hard to predict how they would realign the Big 14 but it would probably be something close to;

Big 14
East Div
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Louisville
Houston
SMU

West Div
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

Now this will probably lead into a very interesting playoff where the 5 division winners automatically qualify with three at large spots to be selected.

I'd like to see this happen.

Back