Despite "shutdown", Fed report released

Big Money

Obamacare-411.jpg

Businesses are blaming Obamacare for holding back hiring, according to the Federal Reserve's Beige Book.

This report, which is based on surveys from the Fed's 12 regional districts, carries more weight than usual, given other key economic indicators have been delayed by the federal government shutdown.

It also comes as Federal Reserve officials debate when to reduce their stimulus policy. Minutes from the Fed's September meeting show members were split on when to start gradually winding down their $85-billion-a-month bond-buying program.

In the Fed's Richmond district, small retailers are limiting workers' hours to control health care costs.

"Several Districts reported that contacts were cautious to expand payrolls, citing uncertainty surrounding the implementation of the Affordable Care Act," the Fed said Wednesday.

Bright spots included high-skilled jobs in technology, health care, and engineering in Richmond, economic and health consulting in Boston, legal and compliance positions in the financial services industry in New York, and accountants and financial analysts in the Dallas district.

Builders in the Cleveland district also reported difficulty in finding high-skilled trade workers. As a result, construction wages are rising there.

obamacare-exemptions.jpg

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/16/news/economy/beige-book-shutdown/

Mary Taylor says Obamacare will push insurance costs up 41 percent for Ohioans

rulings%2Ftom-halftrue.gif

Sounded and looked pretty bad. PolitiFact Ohio decided to check it out. We didn’t have to look far for an explanation. When Taylor’s Department of Insurance put out a news release containing essentially the same message, The Plain Dealer investigated the facts behind the study. Reporter Natalie Villacorta and Washington Bureau Chief Stephen Koff talked with the Department of Insurance and also experts who looked at the department’s findings. What they found was that the 41 percent figure applies to one group of people -- individuals buying health insurance policies on the new state marketplace, or exchange. And that’s a small percentage of the population.

The majority of Ohioans are insured by group plans, typically offered through their employers. A study done for the state by Milliman, Inc., a consulting firm, found that only 350,000 out of 10 million people with medical coverage in Ohio had these kinds of policies in 2010. That’s 3.5 percent of the people with medical coverage.

The study by the Insurance Department, the one Taylor’s claim cites, also drew criticism from outside experts. They noted it did not take into account subsidies that will lessen the costs for many people who buy their policies in the exchange. The average premium for 2014 was estimated at $332.58 a month for individuals, but that figure did not take into account the impact of subsidies that will help reduce out of pocket costs.

Taylor acknowledged to The Plain Dealer that the impact of the subsidies was not factored into the estimates. She said that the Insurance Department did not have the necessary information to calculate the impact of the subsidies.

http://www.politifact.com/ohio/stat...aylor-says-obamacare-will-push-insurance-cos/

I see what you did there...it says up to 41%...but you omitted that for some reason.

And who is going to fund the subsidies?

I see what you did there...it says up to 41%...but you omitted that for some reason.

And who is going to fund the subsidies?

My point was her comment that "Ohioans can expect to pay up to 41% more..." implies all Ohioans but the details say only 3.5% of those with coverage.

My point was her comment that "Ohioans can expect to pay up to 41% more..." implies all Ohioans but the details say only 3.5% of those with coverage.

In other words, another Republicans scum bag is lying his ass off here! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

"Up to" means all?

We're talking apples and oranges here. Correct me if I misunderstood.

You're talking about percentage of increase in premium... up to 41%.

I'm talking about number of Ohioans affected by this increase... 350,000 out of 10 million people with medical coverage in Ohio had these kinds of policies in 2010. That’s 3.5 percent of the people with medical coverage.

So the upshot is that the ad is only 1/2 right.

Mary Taylor says Obamacare will push insurance costs up 41 percent for Ohioans

rulings%2Ftom-halftrue.gif

Sounded and looked pretty bad. PolitiFact Ohio decided to check it out. We didn’t have to look far for an explanation. When Taylor’s Department of Insurance put out a news release containing essentially the same message, The Plain Dealer investigated the facts behind the study. Reporter Natalie Villacorta and Washington Bureau Chief Stephen Koff talked with the Department of Insurance and also experts who looked at the department’s findings. What they found was that the 41 percent figure applies to one group of people -- individuals buying health insurance policies on the new state marketplace, or exchange. And that’s a small percentage of the population.

The majority of Ohioans are insured by group plans, typically offered through their employers. A study done for the state by Milliman, Inc., a consulting firm, found that only 350,000 out of 10 million people with medical coverage in Ohio had these kinds of policies in 2010. That’s 3.5 percent of the people with medical coverage.

The study by the Insurance Department, the one Taylor’s claim cites, also drew criticism from outside experts. They noted it did not take into account subsidies that will lessen the costs for many people who buy their policies in the exchange. The average premium for 2014 was estimated at $332.58 a month for individuals, but that figure did not take into account the impact of subsidies that will help reduce out of pocket costs.

Taylor acknowledged to The Plain Dealer that the impact of the subsidies was not factored into the estimates. She said that the Insurance Department did not have the necessary information to calculate the impact of the subsidies.

http://www.politifact.com/ohio/stat...aylor-says-obamacare-will-push-insurance-cos/

And it does specify Obamacare....obviously, those that will be getting insurance through Obamacare....and its irrelevant how many of the population
that covers....it plainly says those using Obamacare....so what the hell are you trying spin......

And subsidies have nothing to do with it....no ones talking about HOW a person will pay the bills....that too, is totally irrelevant to the subject of the article, which
is INSURANCE COSTS....

its the same strawman like bullshit arguments over and over from you.....the article is correct....neither the number of people involved nor the methods of
payment used is what the article is about, and if PolitiFact has a problem with the article, it only draws attention to their obvious bias and spin.

<sigh> Oh, bravs.

Look at the picture in the first post. It's about whether the guv's claim is truthful. It's only half-true. You can't suggest everybody's going to get a large increase (up to 41%) when the facts show otherwise. That's all I'm saying. Try to get your temper under control.

We're talking apples and oranges here. Correct me if I misunderstood.

You're talking about percentage of increase in premium... up to 41%.

I'm talking about number of Ohioans affected by this increase... 350,000 out of 10 million people with medical coverage in Ohio had these kinds of policies in 2010. That’s 3.5 percent of the people with medical coverage.

So the upshot is that the ad is only 1/2 right.

Saying this story is half right is giving a huge advantage to the liars and fabricators. It'd say is it is more like about 1.7 percent right. Becauase it's only 1/2 of the part it is right about not 1/2 right from the top!

<sigh> Oh, bravs.

Look at the picture in the first post. It's about whether the guv's claim is truthful. It's only half-true. You can't suggest everybody's going to get a large increase (up to 41%) when the facts show otherwise. That's all I'm saying. Try to get your temper under control.

just because a large segment of the population get their insurance from their employers (though that number is decreasing because of Obamacare) doesn't mean the cost of THAT insurance isn't also going up......in truth, for the most part, it is.......and, since taxpayers will be paying for the subsidies, that cost also has to be recognized as rising.....

????.....why do you ignore the fact that "subsidies" are not like mana from heaven?.....they get paid for......just like employer provided health insurance isn't really a benefit......its pay.....

Seriously, you can complain all you want about obamacare the simple truth is it was written into law survived numberous court challenges including Potus months of attacks by the teaparty and its already implemented. Isnt it about time we all started trying to make it the best it can be for everyone after all its here to stay like it or lump it.

Seriously, the simple truth is it was written into law survived numberous court challenges and its already implemented. Isnt it about time we all started trying to make it the best it can be for everyone after all its here to stay like it or lump it.

Say that about Jim Crow, did you, hmmmmm?

Back