And it could NOT have happened without Hillary and quite a few other Democratic support....
Why was Stevens denied adequate secrity....
Thursday, June 7, 2012
Ambassador Stevens made a personal plea for an increase in security. In a June 2012 email, he told a Department official that with national elections in July and August, the Mission “would feel much safer if we could keep two MSD teams with us through this period [to support] our staff and [personal detail] for me and the [Deputy Chief of Mission] and any VIP visitors.” The Department official replied that due to other commitments and limited resources, “unfortunately, MSD cannot support the request.”
There were other emails and cables from Stevens, too. A
House intelligence committee report dated Jan. 15, 2014, said the committee reviewed “thousands of intelligence reports and internal documents (including e-mails, cables, etc.) which were provided by the IC, the State Department, and DoD.” That report discusses an Aug. 16, 2012, cable sent by Stevens regarding the security situation in Libya.
Republican Rep. Tom Cole in an
October 2012 press release refers to cables he said were sent by Stevens on June 25, 2012, and Aug. 8, 2012. Cole also refers to a cable that was
approved by Stevens on the day of the attack, Sept. 11, 2012.
As Cole notes, the documents were obtained by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform — of which
Gowdy is a member:
Cole, Oct. 29, 2012: Documents released by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform show growing concern on the part of Ambassador Stevens and his staff regarding the worsening security situation. In a cable from June 25 titled “Libya’s Fragile Security Deteriorates,” Ambassador Stevens wrote, “From April to June, Libya also witnesses an increase in attacks targeting international organizations and foreign interests.” Stevens goes on to list six of the multiple attacks that had already occurred, including an attack on a U.N. official in Benghazi, an IED explosion at the consulate compound, and a rocket-propelled grenade attack on the British ambassador’s convoy. Stevens stated that his contacts in the area informed him that “Islamic extremism appears to be on the rise in eastern Libya and that the Al-Qaeda flag has been spotted several times flying over government buildings and training facilities.”
Another cable from August 8 mentions “a series of violent incidents” and warns that the local security forces the Obama administration was to rely on to protect our diplomats “has not coalesced into a stabilizing force and provides little deterrence.” On the day of his murder, Stevens reiterated the warning, citing a commander with Benghazi’s Supreme Security Council who “expressed growing frustration with police and security forces (who were too weak to keep the country secure).”
http://tinyurl.com/q34vdee