California...

The law, which takes effect Jan. 1, requires all schools receiving state funds to let children choose between boys’ or girls’ bathrooms, for instance, and participate in sex-segregated sports teams based on their gender identity rather than their biological sex.

Progressives ?

The insanity of the left, liberal and Democrats is what is progressive......

No lefties wanna go on the record and publicly defend this shit ???

In Mass they have similar laws. Im so glad a 6 year old who cant dress himself or stay home alone can choose to its sex.

In regaurds to the bathroom bit, they still have gender oriented parts, yes? They still contain the chromosome configurations xx or xy, yes?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...ear-olds-in-bathroom-spurs-repeal-effort.html

While I support the rights of transgender/gay/lesbians, I wonder if this goes too far? Is it any different than a gay guy being in the mens locker room? Or a lesbian in the womens locker room?

Does this go to far? Thoughts? Opinions?

People share bathrooms with the opposite gender from the beginning. It's called family life.

I suspect the number of children who identify as the opposite gender is very, very small. Doug Boyd is nothing but a sh*t-stirrer and his so-called religious comment proves it: “It’s against the laws of God and nature.”

The guy doesn't understand child psychology. Young children aren't likely to use an opposite sex bathroom just for kicks. I'm not a Freudian but do believe kids go through a latency phase where they bond most intensely with the same-sex peer group. I've seen it with my own kids, when they were pre-teens they wanted nothing to do with girls. Girls were icky. Their interests were strictly directed to their male friends, even when involved in mixed-group activities i.e. classes, parties, etc. While I didn't know every single kid in their school, I never once heard through the grapevine or otherwise that a student identified as trans-gender and wanted to use the opposite bathroom.

Any group that describes itself as "a watchdog for family values" is, IMO, just a front for discrimination. Boyd is an old fart making a mountain out of a molehill.

People share bathrooms with the opposite gender from the beginning. It's called family life.

I suspect the number of children who identify as the opposite gender is very, very small. Doug Boyd is nothing but a sh*t-stirrer and his so-called religious comment proves it: “It’s against the laws of God and nature.”

The guy doesn't understand child psychology. Young children aren't likely to use an opposite sex bathroom just for kicks. I'm not a Freudian but do believe kids go through a latency phase where they bond most intensely with the same-sex peer group. I've seen it with my own kids, when they were pre-teens they wanted nothing to do with girls. Girls were icky. Their interests were strictly directed to their male friends, even when involved in mixed-group activities i.e. classes, parties, etc. While I didn't know every single kid in their school, I never once heard through the grapevine or otherwise that a student identified as trans-gender and wanted to use the opposite bathroom.

Any group that describes itself as "a watchdog for family values" is, IMO, just a front for discrimination. Boyd is an old fart making a mountain out of a molehill.

Yes, people share bathrooms with their family. That is quite different than sharing with opposite gender kids that are not related. This law, at least according to the article, says that ALL schools that receive state funding have to let the kids decide. I think given the curiosity level of younger kids, there could be a problem with the 6-10 year old level. But with Junior high and High School... I think you are opening Pandora's box.

Not sure really where I stand on this one... gay guys and lesbian women are in the locker room with the gender they are attracted to. The transgender kids would be with the gender they aren't attracted to, but would be different gender genetically...

As for the Boyd guy... don't really know him or care to, just thought this was a topic that could be interesting for board discussion.

Well said. There is no problem with this law. Schools are already doing it in some areas; this is just about making school a better experience for the handful of kids who are uncertain of their gender.

There are co-ed dorms where men/women share bathrooms. Have a few school kids use the bathroom they feel "right" in is no big deal.

I imagine older generations have a hard time picturing this kind of thing; thank goodness our culture is loosening up and not all fearful of who is in the stall next to them.

Yes, people share bathrooms with their family. That is quite different than sharing with opposite gender kids that are not related. This law, at least according to the article, says that ALL schools that receive state funding have to let the kids decide. I think given the curiosity level of younger kids, there could be a problem with the 6-10 year old level. But with Junior high and High School... I think you are opening Pandora's box.

Not sure really where I stand on this one... gay guys and lesbian women are in the locker room with the gender they are attracted to. The transgender kids would be with the gender they aren't attracted to, but would be different gender genetically...

As for the Boyd guy... don't really know him or care to, just thought this was a topic that could be interesting for board discussion.

Guess what I'm saying is just because gays and lesbians are in locker rooms with the gender they're attracted to doesn't automatically lead to something sexual happening, and that's what I'm reading into the writer's point of view.

We've all been to beaches, bars etc., where we've seen scantily-clad people of our preference but we (usually!) don't come on to them in a crude and vulgar way. The writer seems to assume something bad will happen in the school bathrooms and that's what I'm not buying.

Guess what I'm saying is just because gays and lesbians are in locker rooms with the gender they're attracted to doesn't automatically lead to something sexual happening, and that's what I'm reading into the writer's point of view.

We've all been to beaches, bars etc., where we've seen scantily-clad people of our preference but we (usually!) don't come on to them in a crude and vulgar way. The writer seems to assume something bad will happen in the school bathrooms and that's what I'm not buying.

Fair enough, again I really could care less what the author thinks, was more curious as to the views of those on this board. Seemed like an interesting topic.

Again, not sure where I stand, because it is essentially part of what gay/lesbians have and part of what straight kids have...

Well said. There is no problem with this law. Schools are already doing it in some areas; this is just about making school a better experience for the handful of kids who are uncertain of their gender.

There are co-ed dorms where men/women share bathrooms. Have a few school kids use the bathroom they feel "right" in is no big deal.

I imagine older generations have a hard time picturing this kind of thing; thank goodness our culture is loosening up and not all fearful of who is in the stall next to them.

The question I would have is that would it only be a 'few kids' when you are talking about junior high and high school? How would a teacher/principal know if a boy wanted to go into the girls locker room because he felt he was a girl or because he wanted to see the girls?

The question I would have is that would it only be a 'few kids' when you are talking about junior high and high school? How would a teacher/principal know if a boy wanted to go into the girls locker room because he felt he was a girl or because he wanted to see the girls?

Well, the first tip off would be whether the biological boy conformed to the traditional gender identity of a girl. I mean, this stuff is about students using a restroom/locker room that conforms to their gender identity not for anyone who wants to use whatever restroom/locker room they want for giggles.

Take your helmet off in spin class; pervert!

Well, the first tip off would be whether the biological boy conformed to the traditional gender identity of a girl. I mean, this stuff is about students using a restroom/locker room that conforms to their gender identity not for anyone who wants to use whatever restroom/locker room they want for giggles.

Ok... and who defines the 'traditional gender identity of a girl/boy'??? What must the boy/girl do to conform?

Unless there is a sex change, then how do you tell? Are you suggesting they must conform to some certain dress code? Not trying to be an ass (well, mostly not trying to be an ass)... just looking for discussion...

Ok... and who defines the 'traditional gender identity of a girl/boy'??? What must the boy/girl do to conform?

Unless there is a sex change, then how do you tell? Are you suggesting they must conform to some certain dress code? Not trying to be an ass (well, mostly not trying to be an ass)... just looking for discussion...

Most typically it involves dressing as the opposite gender, assuming a more appropriate name for their gender identity, requesting to be addressed using the pronoun appropriate to their identity (as opposed to biology) and the like. Using the restroom/locker room of their gender identity is just another piece of it. It's not like students can just start demanding to use whatever bathroom they want under the guise of a gender identity transition.

Back