Breaking Bad Alternate Ending

I am still on series 1, the mercury fulminate business perturbed me as it is a greyish white powder, not crystalline and a bag that big would have killed them all just by being passed around. Also breaking in to get hold of methylamine was stupid as it can be made easily enough with ammonium chloride and formaldehyde to yield methylamine hydrochloride. Sorry can't help noticing these things, it is the only use I put my chemistry degree to these days.

I am still on series 1, the mercury fulminate business perturbed me as it is a greyish white powder, not crystalline and a bag that big would have killed them all just by being passed around. Also breaking in to get hold of methylamine was stupid as it can be made easily enough with ammonium chloride and formaldehyde to yield methylamine hydrochloride. Sorry can't help noticing these things, it is the only use I put my chemistry degree to these days.

p.s. breaking bad gets better every season. I think season 1 is kinda lackluster. season 2 is good but not mind blowing, and then from there on it's smooth sailing.

p.s. breaking bad gets better every season. I think season 1 is kinda lackluster. season 2 is good but not mind blowing, and then from there on it's smooth sailing.

Yes I think it is great but some of the chemistry in it is bloody annoying, to me anyway.

LOL I did that too while I was watching the show. Notice how all the containers of chemicals have fake IMDG/DOT labels of the wrong colors for hazard classes?

They explain that in some of the interviews with Vince Gilligan the producer. They didn't want to be so accurate that someone could actually make Meth from watching the show. Another thing I noticed is that Walt and Jessie would have been killed early on in the real world for the way they mishandled hydrofluoric acid.

BTW...Walt didn't say it was mercury fulminate. He said it was "fulminated mercury with a little tweak of chemistry". I made the same observation you did. I knew that mercury fulminate is a unstable grey powder and not large monoclinic crystals and that they all would have been dead when they goons started manhandling him in the elevator had it been the real thing.

I wonder what other roles the guy who played Tuco has done. He sure played the psychol drug dealer to the hilt. It was a brilliant peformance.

The scene where he snorts the meth off the Bowie knife, looks convincingly like a gooned out crazy fuck and starts saying "TIGHT! Tight, tight, YEAH! Oh, blue, yellow, pink. Whatever, man. Just keep bringing me that." That was awesome. I was like "Whoa shit. Walt and Jessie don't have a clue what they're messing with!" LOL

Last edited:
They probably didn't want to make that information common knowledge Tom.

They probably didn't want to make that information common knowledge Tom.

When they stopped using pseudo ephedrine reduction and switched to reductive amination, they would have also had to deal with the problem that it produces a racemic mixture of d- and l-methamphetamine, in other words equal amounts of the left and right-handed enantiomers of the chiral molecule. I haven't seen any mention of fractional crystallisation thus far so maybe they don't bother to separate the optical isomers which means that it is only half as pure as the original meth produced by Walt.

Last edited:
BTW...Walt didn't say it was mercury fulminate. He said it was "fulminated mercury with a little tweak of chemistry". I made the same observation you did. I knew that mercury fulminate is a unstable grey powder and not large monoclinic crystals and that they all would have been dead when they goons started manhandling him in the elevator had it been the real thing.

actually i thought there was a crystalized form to? I think I heard something about that o_O

what chemistry nerds think about with breaking bad is probably how computer nerds react to scenes like this:

and this:

When they stopped using pseudo ephedrine reduction and switched to reductive amination, they would have also had to deal with the problem that it produces a racemic mixture of d- and l-methamphetamine, in other words equal amounts of the left and right-handed enantiomers of the chiral molecule. I haven't seen any mention of fractional crystallisation thus far so maybe they don't bother to separate the optical isomers which means that it is only half as pure as the original meth produced by Walt.
Keep watching. He brings it up. It's in the episode called "Box Cutter".

actually i thought there was a crystalized form to? I think I heard something about that o_O
the grey powder we're talking about is the crystalline version of fulminated mercury. It's just the crystals are very small and granular, the don't grow into long plate like crystals like Walt had.

what chemistry nerds think about with breaking bad is probably how computer nerds react to scenes like this:

and this:

Oh it's not that bad. There's a lot of shows where hack actors throw around technical jargon in a manner so out of context that they come off as total posers to those in the know.

Breaking Bad is actually very good. They obviously "respect the chemistry" to borrow a phrase from Walt. Do they get some of the detail wrong? Sure, but I'm sure some of that was on purpose. It would be unethical to put to much real information on the chemical synthesis of crystal meth. Conversely, it's also obvious that they went to great pains to get a lot of the chemistry aspects right. The Box Cutter episode I just mentioned was a good example of that where Walt is talking about the reductive amination and chirality of the product.

Oh it's not that bad. There's a lot of shows where hack actors throw around technical jargon in a manner so out of context that they come off as total posers to those in the know.

Breaking Bad is actually very good. They obviously "respect the chemistry" to borrow a phrase from Walt. Do they get some of the detail wrong? Sure, but I'm sure some of that was on purpose. It would be unethical to put to much real information on the chemical synthesis of crystal meth. Conversely, it's also obvious that they went to great pains to get a lot of the chemistry aspects right. The Box Cutter episode I just mentioned was a good example of that where Walt is talking about the reductive amination and chirality of the product.

You guys are lucky you're not gun nerds. Nothing even remotely good in movies or on T.V.

It's rare that anything having to do with science and technology is presented by the popular media either correctly or in a positive manner. Which makes sense when you have a bunch of "artiste" who think such things are beneath the dignity of a true artist. In other words most actors are to stupid to understand science and technology. Therefore they can't portray it accurately or positively when they act.

Last edited:
That's one of the things that's nice about breaking bad. Scienitest in the popular media are almost universally portrayed as unattractive, yet highly intelligent, socially retarded geeks of low social status. They are almost never portrayed as capable leaders or professionals.

That's what makes Walts character so interesting. He's not that stereotype at all. He starts out as a meek Walter Mitty family man that, due to a horrible turn of bad luck, transforms into Scarface. At no time during the show do they portray him as the typical stereotype of a scientist.

Back