Beef Brisket

sedan

red panda
So yesterday, my wife smoked a beef brisket.

I didn't get a picture of it before she cut it in half ...

abxv.jpg

First it went on the smoker for about 5 hours ...

wv23.jpg

Then slow cooked on the grill ...

ufmt.jpg

7fst.jpg

03tm.jpg

absolutely lovely! I haven't been able to find brisket that big locally; lately, they aren't carrying it at all at the local market.

I double-wrap mine in heavy duty foil and cook it at low temp - 325 - in the oven for 4 or 5 hours, then coat it with bbq sauce, cook about 20 min more, then serve. Always comes out juice and tasty!

But we don't have a smoker. That brisket looks awesome!

absolutely lovely! I haven't been able to find brisket that big locally; lately, they aren't carrying it at all at the local market.

I double-wrap mine in heavy duty foil and cook it at low temp - 325 - in the oven for 4 or 5 hours, then coat it with bbq sauce, cook about 20 min more, then serve. Always comes out juice and tasty!

But we don't have a smoker. That brisket looks awesome!
Oh my god! How could you ruin a brisket like that!!! :eek:

You need to get a smoker. Don't double wrap it, you'll over cook it and BBQ sauce on brisket? God forbid! Sauce is for pork.

I do it pretty much as pictured above. I make a 1:1 mix of kosher salt and black pepper. I spread that liberally over the brisket. If the fat cap is to thick I'll trim some of that off. I then put it into my smoker for 4 to 5 hours and maintain a temp of about 225 deg F. My smoker is a step above the one pictured but still on the low end. After about 5 hours of smoking you'll have all the smoke flavor you'll need. I then put it on a broiler rack (no foil!!) and finish it off in the over at 250 deg F until it reaches and internal temp of 175. I then take it out of the oven and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Cook it low and slow all the way and you'll be amazed at how better both the flavor and texture are. My method looks pretty much as pictured above and is just a little easier. What ever you do don't cook at a temp higher than 250 deg F (fat cap up) and don't exceed an internal temp of 190. Past 190 and it becomes dry and crumbly. Cooked right when you pull on the ends of a slice it should be like a little accordion. It shouldn't fall apart and it should be tender to the bite and juicy.

Now my sister has a Traeger and that has enough temperature control that you can maintain a constant 225 deg F the entire time you're smoking it. I've made some killer brisket on her Traeger. I'm to cheap to spring $400 to buy one of my own. LOL

Last edited:
Oh my god! How could you ruin a brisket like that!!! :eek:

You need to get a smoker. Don't double wrap it, you'll over cook it and BBQ sauce on brisket? God forbid! Sauce is for pork.

I do it pretty much as pictured above. I make a 1:1 mix of kosher salt and black pepper. I spread that liberally over the brisket. If the fat cap is to thick I'll trim some of that off. I then put it into my smoker for 4 to 5 hours and maintain a temp of about 225 deg F. My smoker is a step above the one pictured but still on the low end. After about 5 hours of smoking you'll have all the smoke flavor you'll need. I then put it on a broiler rack (no foil!!) and finish it off in the over at 250 deg F until it reaches and internal temp of 175. I then take it out of the oven and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Cook it low and slow all the way and you'll be amazed at how better both the flavor and texture are. My method looks pretty much as pictured above and is just a little easier. What ever you do don't cook at a temp higher than 250 deg F (fat cap up) and don't exceed an internal temp of 190. Past 190 and it becomes dry and crumbly. Cooked right when you pull on the ends of a slice it should be like a little accordion. It shouldn't fall apart and it should be tender to the bite and juicy.

Now my sister has a Traeger and that has enough temperature control that you can maintain a constant 225 deg F the entire time you're smoking it. I've made some killer brisket on her Traeger. I'm to cheap to spring $400 to buy one of my own. LOL

Hey! My mother always made it in foil!!! you dissin' my mother???(smile)

The foil comes out sooooo tender. But yeppers, smoker is cool too.

Now if only my friggin' grocery store had brisket in stock on a regular basis.... Guess I'll have to hit up one of the local meat sources for a special order, but the store is so much easier.

That's what I have.....if you want to go top of the line. Get a Traeger pellet smoker.

I thought about a pellet smoker, but in the end I got a Backwoods Smoker. Only type of smoker I wouldn't own is an offset. Smoke goes up not sideways. But some BBQ pros swear by it.

Two things about Q. There are lots of opinions on how to do it, only soe things are wrong and I never let politics get in the way of a good BBQ discussion.

I cook my brisket at 225 for 10 hours all in the smoker. I use a BBQ Guru. It rocks at controlling temp of smoker. Once it hits 180 internal, I wrap in tin foil and put in a cooler for 20 minutes to let the juices percolate through.

Agree on BBQ sauce. That is just down right rotten. A good rub is all you need with brisket.

Back