At 77 He Prepares Burgers Earning in Week His Former Hourly Wage?!!

signalmankenneth

Verified User
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/77-prepares-burgers-earning-week-040100515.html

What a
Reality Check?

retirement-age-not65-598x373.jpg

:rofl2:

Made a 6 figure salary for years and never saved a dime for retirement and I am supposed to feel sorry for him???

i guess he made some poor life decisions. No matter, old people tears make the burgers extra juicy. He should be thankful the young are already subsidizing his existence while he bankrupts social security.

i guess he made some poor life decisions. No matter, old people tears make the burgers extra juicy. He should be thankful the young are already subsidizing his existence while he bankrupts social security.

No shit. Fuck him and his entire generation. May they rot in the ground for eternity and their names be cursed.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that stories like these are intended for the consumption of gullible dipshits.

There's too much missing from this story to draw the idiotic conclusions in this article. If you worked for a company all your life earning a six figure salary, retired and paid off you home, I can guarantee you wouldn't be flipping burgers at Mickie Ds.

This guy was either a felon, divorced several times over or a former drug addict to have pissed that much away and look like a homeless dude.

But give Obama enough time and flipping burgers at Mickie Ds might be the only jobs left in this lousy economy that has his name all over it.

ya. the 6 figure salary thing is a give away - i mean a lot of ppl my age got hurt with the housing bubble/recession/ etc.

But 6 figures? for 20 years, is particurally difficult to find yourself without assets.

Amazing the vitriol for the Boomers - just wait you guys will fuck it all up too. lol. so far I haven't seen too much (ah, we messed it up for ya' indeed).

The Boomers are the worst generation in human history.
well don't blame me. I was all down on Peace and Love, was an anti-war protestor ('Nam), and wanted none of this American Exceptionalism ( both kinds).

except the ME generation of the 70's decided to follow our money grubbing parents example into financial greed. ""the love of money is the root of all evil"

It was a fun ride, till it all crashed to nothing - so suck it up, and go get MORE. 'Tis the American Way - more then any singular generation.

Kwit yer bitchin' and go get ritchin' if that's what you desire.

He put his kids thru college - that will eat up savings quick. Plus a nice house - paying off the mortgage - giant sucking sound.

While Palome worked hard his entire career, paid off his mortgage and put his kids through college, like most Americans he didn't save enough for retirement.

Low six figures? 105,000 ain't that much these days.

You have no idea what his expenses were while he was working; he went through a couple market crashes; but go ahead - hate on him, people. You'll be in his shoes one of these days.

You all should be praising this guy, not hating on him

Palome, who said his jobs keep him active and learning new things, could survive without working. He receives $1,200 from Social Security and a $600 a month pension from his last corporate job. Still, his $1,400 in monthly wages allows him to bolster his savings and provides for some extras. He goes to the theater, pays for plane tickets to visit his children and grandsons and takes occasional vacations.
"I know seniors like me who hardly ever leave their homes because they don't have money to do anything," Palome said. "They could work, but won't take a lesser job."

To stretch his income, Palome runs his dishwasher once a week and turns off his hot water heater every morning after he showers. He buys airline tickets six months in advance, booking rental cars for as little as $13.80 a day.

did you read the article?

That life turned upside down when his wife, Edna, was killed in a car accident in 1983. Palome's daughter, then a college student, offered to come home to take care of her brothers, who were 14 and 16 years old. Palome insisted she stay in school. He took charge of the parenting and the housework.
"I was numb, in shock and trying to hold everything together," he said. "And my sons didn't want anyone in the house besides me, not even a housekeeper."
When Cooper relocated from New Jersey to California, Palome didn't want to uproot his family. So in 1980, when he was 44, he started a consulting company, with Cooper as his main client. He also did consulting for Sandoz Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson and others.
In flush years, Palome had several clients and earned about $120,000. Though he saved for his kids' college and helped his elderly parents, retirement wasn't on his radar.
"I never thought I'd live this long," he said.

No Savings
Because he was self-employed, Palome didn't have a 401(k) account, and he has never had a tax-deferred IRA, or Individual Retirement Account. It's the same for most Americans. Only about half of private-sector workers were covered by an employee-sponsored retirement plan of any kind in 2011. And fewer than 40 percent of those participated, according to the Employee Benefits Research Institute.

So many assholes on this site.

Read the fucking article.

You all should be praising this guy, not hating on him

did you read the article?

So many assholes on this site.

Read the fucking article.

Yes, I read the article. It isn't hate to say I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for him. He made some seriously questionable choices, never bothered to save. He doesn't seem to be asking for my pity either. The act of pity doesn't mean you are more compassionate, it simply means you dismiss his responsibility.

Yes, I read the article. It isn't hate to say I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for him. He made some seriously questionable choices, never bothered to save. He doesn't seem to be asking for my pity either. The act of pity doesn't mean you are more compassionate, it simply means you dismiss his responsibility.
took care of his parents, took care of his kids, self employed (not easy to save for retirement,).

What resposibility is he ducking(dismissing)?? Compassion is empathy, not pity - least as I understand it.......

took care of his parents, took care of his kids, self employed (not easy to save for retirement,).

What resposibility is he ducking(dismissing)?? Compassion is empathy, not pity - least as I understand it.......

Hence my point that offering the man pity for what he understands was poor retirement planning isn't compassion, it doesn't mean that others who see his choice not to save for retirement because it "wasn't on the radar" and he "didn't expect to live that long" as foolish are "hating" on him. It simply means they see missed opportunities for what they are. Note I was speaking to Tekkychick, she was the one who demanded I feel pity for the man.

According to Tekkychick somebody simply pointing out that he had plenty of opportunity to plan for retirement hates him, she tries to say we must feel sorry for him or we're "hating" even when he himself isn't really seeking that kind of pity, it is a bit self-congratulatory... "I'm better than you, because I feel sorry for this guy..."

He put his kids thru college - that will eat up savings quick. Plus a nice house - paying off the mortgage - giant sucking sound.

Low six figures? 105,000 ain't that much these days.

You have no idea what his expenses were while he was working; he went through a couple market crashes; but go ahead - hate on him, people. You'll be in his shoes one of these days.

No, I plan on saving enough and having a marketable skill.

Hence my point that offering the man pity for what he understands was poor retirement planning isn't compassion, it doesn't mean that others who see his choice not to save for retirement because it "wasn't on the radar" and he "didn't expect to live that long" as foolish are "hating" on him. It simply means they see missed opportunities for what they are. Note I was speaking to Tekkychick, she was the one who demanded I feel pity for the man.

According to Tekkychick somebody simply pointing out that he had plenty of opportunity to plan for retirement hates him, she tries to say we must feel sorry for him or we're "hating" even when he himself isn't really seeking that kind of pity, it is a bit self-congratulatory... "I'm better than you, because I feel sorry for this guy..."
i can't speak for others- this is what happens when conversations are disjointed (posting) -i did however see some pure bashing (if not hating) of the Boomers - an irrational thought - anymore then me hating on the stupidity of modern American culture - foolish to blame a generation of people immersed in a media driven enviornment.

I think she was referencing this, more then your post - but to your post: "poor retirement planning" - we don't know - seems the guy is doing OK.
Yes he works -its the new normal. I work, I have to, i'll prolly work till I die -not worried about it, and my "plans" have gone awry, not where I expected to be.
I don't expect pity, i do expect some empathy that I am where I am, as are many other's my age.

John Lennon once wrote "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans". Meaning we can't forsee - some of us do better then others, but the journey IS life.You have to take the journey to see the entire expanse

So we do what we have to do, with some muster of grace, and understanding/comapssion for the human condition -we grow older. frail. money can shelter us from poverty.

But money isn't going to get us off the cyclical rebirth wheel of life. Being Buddhist, I'm sure you undertand, if not agree.
The true Path is the Noble one.

EDIT: Wheel of death- I get them mixed up

Last edited:
Poor financial choices do not a sob story make. The guy made that much per hour and wasted it.

I know of no one and have never known anyone in the 6 figure range that works for an hourly wage. As others have mentioned, there are too many unanswered questions here to draw any conclusions whatsoever. Except for one that is only relative to portions of this conversation. As a boomer there ain't nobody here that's had more fun, more opportunities given and failed and offered up again, more experience in life in more ways than I can remember, etc. I listen to the complaints of my kids, the ME generation, my grandkids, the X generation and the more recent millenials and to be quite frank, they completely bore me. None of them know much or care much about any quests for a good and exciting life.

Petula

Last edited:
Back