American Apartheid

Without reading the article, I can say that unless he's talking about our treatment of the Indians, he's being hyperbolic in the extreme to compare ANYTHING we as a nation do with the apartheid in South Africa, and frankly I think its insulting.

Without reading the article, I can say that unless he's talking about our treatment of the Indians, he's being hyperbolic in the extreme to compare ANYTHING we as a nation do with the apartheid in South Africa, and frankly I think its insulting.

Then maybe you should read his article before making your determination.

I found this gentleman's article very interesting and am going to look into his books.

"After the verdict in the Zimmerman-case, everyone from President Obama to news commentators parroted the line about respecting the law, respecting the legal process, and respecting the decision of the jury. Yet, where is the respect for our legal history that has slowly advanced human and civil rights? Where is the respect for the worth of a human’s life—regardless of skin color? What can we say about a legal system that has created a “prison-industrial complex” that puts more African-American Americans behind bars than any other group? Where is the respect for the principle of equal protection when Jim Crow laws are now a part of the criminal justice system under the guise of three-strikes laws and mandatory minimums in sentencing?

Before we remove both our individual and collective critical thinking skills with the invocation of such slogans and statements, it would serve us well to be reminded that the same mantra was used for decades in South Africa when it was an apartheid state. South Africa’s apartheid state did not pretend that it stood for the principle of “liberty and justice for all.” Rather, South Africa’s apartheid state arrogantly took pride in the practice of denying equal rights to its black citizens and blindly accepting the murders and disenfranchisement of thousands of people within its borders for the simple reason that they had been born black. Welcome to the newest version of American-Apartheid. In the aftermath of 2013, unless there is a social movement for change which refocuses our collective vision on human rights and social justice, there will never be “liberty and justice for all.”

That was very well said.

I found this gentleman's article very interesting and am going to look into his books.

I saw an extremely informative programme on British TV the other night about the South African police and the consensus was that they are every bit as bad as anything in the apartheid era. Witness how little publicity was given to the shooting dead of 34 black miners only last year. I expect you will ignore this, which is a shame as you might actually learn something from a mansplainer. The main conclusion was that Mandela's legacy is rapidly going down the crapper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19487967

Then maybe you should read his article before making your determination.

It's hysterical how they are always accusing others of being uninformed and blame it on not reading the article or the OP when it's posted.

Yet here we find once again that what's NOT acceptable for you and I is perfectly acceptable when it's done by a CONSERVATIVE.

The double standard displayed by Billy would be funny if it weren't so ridiculous.

Back