Afghanistan's first female Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament runs for President

anatta

100% recycled karma
KABUL, Afghanistan -- A political pioneer and outspoken lawmaker took her first steps toward running for president of Afghanistan Thursday, promising to take the country out of its "days of darkness."

At a gaudy banquet hall in Kabul, Fawzia Koofi launched her new political party, Movement for Change in Afghanistan, in front of several hundred supporters.

In a speech that struck an optimistic tone, the 38-year-old mother-of-two appealed to the youth of Afghanistan -- the most likely group to consider voting for her.

"I don't know who will be the next president, I don't know, no one knows," she said. "But we must come out of the days of darkness, and bring about change

Koofi also has the support of some prominent politicians, including Ahmad Zia Massoud, the former Vice President of Afghanistan and brother of assassinated anti-Taliban fighter Ahmad Shah Massoud.

He congratulated her at the rally, publicly endorsing her potential candidacy. She will officially put her name forward for president if she gets enough endorsements from fellow lawmakers.

Wadeer Safi, a political scientist at Kabul University, said: "I'm sorry to say a woman cannot be president in Afghanistan, because of mentality, because of culture, because of tradition." However, he added that her campaign was a "good start for future generations."

Indeed, it is the next generation that Koofi hopes to reach. Fully aware that traditionalists would never consider supporting her, she wants to win the youth vote.

She has a small, young -- and for now, entirely male -- team of campaign workers who will focus on social networking, targeting cellphone and Internet users.

Koofi has already blazed a trail as as Afghanistan's first female Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament - an achievement all the more remarkable for a woman who was the only female in her family to go to school.

Both as a female politician and a possible presidential candidate, Koofi is taking a great risk in a country where the Taliban regularly attacks senior lawmakers and is steadfastly opposed to women's rights.

She recounted how the Taliban threatened to kill her countless times, and how she survived a sustained gun attack on her car. She accepts being in harm's way as inevitable and confesses to losing sleep now and then.

"You get so much involved in life that you almost forget the risks," Koofi said. "I have chosen this life, and I have chosen to take the risks as well."
Some of these letters are included in her autobiography, "The Favored Daughter."

In one, she writes, "All of us as human beings will die one day. Maybe today is the day I will die. But if I do, please know it was for a purpose." In another message to her girls, she says: "Perhaps someday your children's children will grow up free in a proud, successful, Islamic republic that has taken its rightful
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...awzia-koofi-launches-bid-to-be-president?lite

amazing. That she's willing to run, and might get enough support to do so; this a country that is nothing but male dominated.
Hard core Islamists (Taliban)

We saw Indira Gandhi, and Rajiv assasinated in India - Benzir Bhutto in Pakistan, so she is really taoking her life in her hands.

Remarkable, ; how history is changed over the course of time, by those with the courage to do so.

Back