Accused blowtorch killer claims innocence

Big Money

mona-nelson.jpg

The woman accused of abducting and murdering 12-year-old Jonathan Foster told investigators in a videotaped interrogation that she did not know she was dumping the boy's charred body into a culvert, but said she smelled something sweet while unloading a trash can from the back of her pickup.

On the video shown during Mona Nelson's capital murder trial Tuesday, Nelson first denied having anything to do with the boy's death, then blamed his stepfather for the crime.

"I thought, 'I can't believe David would put me in the middle of this,'" Nelson told detectives after the boy's body had been found, four days after he disappeared about 2 p.m. on Christmas Eve. "I didn't harm Jonathan."

Nelson said she was "highly intoxicated" after smoking marijuana, drinking a brown liquor, vodka and beer while driving between various friends' homes in north Houston the day before Christmas. She said she was flagged down by Foster's stepfather David Davis, and a friend of his she did not know. Nelson said the men asked her to help them haul something away. After driving around in an industrial area near the Hardy Toll road, she said, Davis talked on the phone while she helped the other man dump a city trash can in a culvert.

Police initially suspected Davis, but he was cleared after detectives obtained video of him sitting in a bar that day and checked his cell phone records.

The disposal of the boy's body was captured on grainy surveillance video and shows only one person, dressed as Nelson was dressed that day, taking something out of a Ford F-150 truck.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Nelson-denies-involvement-in-12-year-old-s-4747472.php?cmpid=nsrr

Back