A "Massive Secret Database of Gun Owners"

Howey

Banned
Can you imagine the outrage if the President was doing this?

WASHINGTON — The National Rifle Association has rallied gun-owners — and raised tens of millions of dollars — campaigning against the threat of a national database of firearms or their owners.

But in fact, the sort of vast, secret database the NRA often warns of already exists, despite having been assembled largely without the knowledge or consent of gun owners. It is housed in the Virginia offices of the NRA itself. The country's largest privately held database of current, former, and prospective gun owners is one of the powerful lobby's secret weapons, expanding its influence well beyond its estimated 3 million members and bolstering its political supremacy.

That database has been built through years of acquiring gun permit registration lists from state and county offices, gathering names of new owners from the thousands of gun-safety classes taught by NRA-certified instructors and by buying lists of attendees of gun shows, subscribers to gun magazines and more, BuzzFeed has learned.

The result: a Big Data powerhouse that deploys the same high-tech tactics all year round that the vaunted Obama campaign used to win two presidential elections.

So you'd be ok with the government contracting with a private group, say Bllackwater, to keep a list?

So you'd be ok with the government contracting with a private group, say Bllackwater, to keep a list?
is the NRA contracting with the federal government?
to answer your question, no, I would not be ok with that. the government is restricted by the constitution and only statists would approve of tactics such as allowing private companies to act as federal surrogates to bypass constitutional limits.

to answer your question, no, I would not be ok with that. the government is restricted by the constitution and only statists would approve of tactics such as allowing private companies to act as federal surrogates to bypass constitutional limits.

Well, I mean, if the fear of gun registration is that a bunch of jackbooted thugs will confiscate firearms, how difficult would it be for such a government to take the database from the NRA than then confiscate firearms?

Well, I mean, if the fear of gun registration is that a bunch of jackbooted thugs will confiscate firearms, how difficult would it be for such a government to take the database from the NRA than then confiscate firearms?
as evidenced by after actions of the patriot act with regards to demands of records with no court warrant, it wouldn't be difficult at all. that doesn't mean it's legal or constitutional and would most likely precipitate a bloody war with millions of casualties.

How is the government restricted from obtaining contracts with private companies?

as evidenced by after actions of the patriot act with regards to demands of records with no court warrant, it wouldn't be difficult at all. that doesn't mean it's legal or constitutional and would most likely precipitate a bloody war with millions of casualties.

Well, like, knowing all of that, wouldn't it be advisable for the NRA not to compile such a database in the first instance or, like, give gun owners the choice of being listed in such a database. I mean, it seems like a really, really stupid thing to do for an organization that is really, really concerned about a government database of gun owners.

Noted for the record: I'm just ignoring the bloody revolution fantasy because LOL.

Lol...no fear mongering there! You really are nucking futs!

by even asking that question, you've proven to be unable to deal with constitutional matters.

The government enters into millions of private contracts a year. Are you saying they're unconstitutional?

Last edited:
There are lists of us everywhere, sad to say. But it is funny that NRA is squawking about lists at the same time it's keeping one.

nearly as outraged as I am about the fact that Chase bank keeps a "massive secret database" of those people who use their credit cards and what their purchases were for the last month.......

Well, like, knowing all of that, wouldn't it be advisable for the NRA not to compile such a database in the first instance or, like, give gun owners the choice of being listed in such a database. I mean, it seems like a really, really stupid thing to do for an organization that is really, really concerned about a government database of gun owners.
should no organization whatsoever not try to maintain a working list of it's members or potential members without concern for the federal government violating the laws and stealing it for nefarious purposes?
Maybe I need to understand better how some of you are so willing to accept that the government violates it's own laws with impunity and be unwilling to hold it accountable

Noted for the record: I'm just ignoring the bloody revolution fantasy because LOL.
your own peril

Back