44th Anniversary of Woodstock today

BETHEL — The sound of Jimi Hendrix songs poured out of a camper Thursday morning as workers installed speakers under a pavilion next to Hector's Inn in Bethel.

Stacks of logs and a large pile of brush were staged near the fire pit, and volunteers readied the outdoor ovens where turkeys will be baked for the free meals given to hundreds of hungry hippies.

Ben Magic left the camper, having come again to the place he has come to since 1989. Others began to arrive, by camper, by station wagon, by van — all to celebrate the anniversary of Woodstock

The fields surrounding Hector's will fill with campers, all celebrating an era with dancing, music and singing. As many as 3,000 people will also camp at Yasgur Farm, owned by Jeryl Abramson, where nonstop music is also scheduled.

Events at Bethel Woods

And Bethel Woods Center for the Arts has scheduled a variety of events between Thursday and Sunday.

They include a performance by Cheech and Chong and a tribute to the late Richie Havens, whose ashes will be spread on the festival field around 5:15 p.m. on Sunday, the approximate time he opened the Woodstock festival.

"Richie, for much of his life, made it clear that the Woodstock field was where he wanted his final resting place to be," said Wade Lawrence, director of Bethel Woods' museum. "I think it's a touching sendoff."

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130815/NEWS/308150339

Anyone on the board attend?

I was there in spirit, thankfully I saw Hendrix and the Doors at the Isle of Wight in 1970. The lineup for that festival was just incredible. There was estimated to be around 700,000 there, making it even bigger than Woodstock.

Wednesday 26th

Thursday 27th

Friday 28th

• Fairfield Parlour: They had recorded a single called "Let The World Wash In", released under the name I Luv Wight, which they hoped would become the festival's theme song. They had also previously recorded as Kaleidoscope. One song available "Soldiers of Flesh" on a bootleg vinyl record called "Coca Cola Bullshit"
  • Arrival: Their set, which included a Leonard Cohen cover, was well received.
  • Lighthouse: This popular Canadian act performed two sets at the festival.
  • Taste: Legendary guitarist Rory Gallagher had a blues trio from 1968 to 1970. This was one of their final shows, which was filmed and recorded. An album, Live at the Isle of Wight, was released of their set in 1971.
  • Tony Joe White: Performed hits including "Polk Salad Annie"; his drummer was Cozy Powell. Tony Joe's entire set was released in 2006 on Swamp Music, a Rhino Handmade collection of his Monument recordings.
  • Chicago: Their set, including "25 or 6 to 4," "Beginnings" and "I'm a Man," was a highlight of the night.
  • Family:
  • Procol Harum: Frontman Gary Brooker commented that it was a cold night.
  • Voices of East Harlem: Their set received several standing ovations. Not actually a band, but a bunch of singing school children from Harlem. They had one studio album.
  • Cactus: Two songs from their set were featured on the LP The First Great Rock Festivals of The Seventies.
  • Mungo Jerry were there but decided not to play
Saturday 29th

• John Sebastian: Performed an 80-minute set, during which former Lovin' Spoonful guitarist Zal Yanovsky, made a surprise guest appearance.
  • Shawn Phillips: American folk musician performed an impromptu solo set following John Sebastian.
  • Lighthouse (second set)
  • Joni Mitchell: Played a controversial set; following her performance of "Woodstock", a hippie named Yogi Joe interrupted her set to make a speech about Desolation Row. When Joe was hauled off by Joni's manager, the audience began to boo until Mitchell made an emotional appeal to them for some respect for the performers. [1]
    .[SUP][dead link][/SUP] Contrary to popular belief, Joe was not the man who was ranting about a "psychedelic concentration camp". That was another incident that took place the previous day. After the crowd quieted down, Mitchell closed her set with "Big Yellow Taxi"
  • Tiny Tim: His rendition of "There'll Always Be an England" can be seen in the film Message to Love.
  • Miles Davis: A DVD of his complete set was released in 2004.
  • Ten Years After: British blues rockers performing what was basically a reproduction of their famous Woodstock set. Highlights included "I'm Going Home" and "I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes," which was featured in Message to Love.
  • Emerson, Lake & Palmer: This was their second gig. Pictures at an Exhibition, which featured the Moog synthesizer was the centerpiece of their historic set. Commercially released as Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 in 1997.
  • The Doors: Their set was shrouded in darkness due to Jim Morrison's unwillingness to have movie spotlights on the band. Their performances of "The End" and "When the Music's Over" are featured in Message to Love.
  • The Who: Their entire set, including the rock opera Tommy, was released in 1996 on CD (Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970). Three years later their set appeared on DVD with significant cuts from Tommy and a few other songs (such as "Naked Eye") missing. In addition, the DVD song set order was radically altered to present Tommy as if having been performed at the second-half of the concert (with "See Me, Feel Me"/"Listening to You" as the conclusion), when, in fact, Tommy was performed in the middle of their lengthy set, and the closing title was "Magic Bus", which concluded some Who concerts at that time. A 2006-reissued DVD of the concert retains the altered order, despite having been personally "supervised" by Who guitarist and songwriter Peter Townshend.
  • Sly & the Family Stone: The showstoppers of Woodstock performed to a tired audience on the early morning of Sunday. However, the audience woke up for spirited renditions of "I Want to Take You Higher", "Dance to the Music" and "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)", which featured Sly on guitar. Prior to their encore, another political militant decided it was time to make a speech, and the booing audience started to throw beer cans onto the stage. Freddie Stone was hit by a flying can and an angry Sly decided to skip the encore. He did promise a second appearance, but this never occurred.
  • Melanie: This Woodstock veteran played a well-received set as the sun rose. Prior to her set, Keith Moon of The Who offered her some moral support and encouragement. Not until afterwards did Melanie realize who he was. Her performance of her own song, 'What Have They Done to My Song Ma' was included in a 2010 French documentary, spanning the 1970 and 2010 I.O.W. festivals, called 'From Wight to Wight' and first shown on TV station ARTE, on 30/07/2010.
Sunday 30th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Wight_Festival_1970

Last edited:
Hendrix was not supposed to close Woodstock. Steeped in childhood memories of the song, Woodstock organiser Michael Lang wanted Roy Rogers to come on after Hendrix and play Happy Trails. The cowboy crooner declined.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience, with which he had recorded three smash albums and electrified crowds at the Monterey Pop Festival two summers before, had broken up. Hendrix assembled a group he called Gypsy Suns and Rainbows, which included two musicians he had played with at the start of his career on the Chitlin' Circuit in Nashville: bassist Billy Cox and guitarist Larry Lee. Neither had ever performed in front of a large crowd before. Drummer Mitch Mitchell, who was part of the Experience, and two percussionists rounded out the band, one of the largest Hendrix ever appeared with. The group performed just twice more before disbanding.

Recordings made at the house in upstate New York where Hendrix and the Gypsy Suns and Rainbows rehearsed and of a performance they gave at the Tinker Street Cinema in Kingston, N.Y., show that the band "simply could not play well together," Brattin says. "After listening to those tapes, you would not have guessed that the Woodstock performance would be so good. The credit has to go to Jimi and the strength of his onstage presence."

http://emol.org/music/artists/hendrix/index.html

Last edited:
Considering how mercenary his family is, it is surprising that the whole Hendrix Woodstock set is on YouTube. It used to be on Google video but it's been taken off. Enjoy it as it will probably be removed soon.

That clip of Jimi doing the Star Spangled Banner is the best musical clip in history, imo.

Such a genius mix of art, politics, protest & otherworldly musicianship. I love that only about 50,000 people were left from the weekend to see it (though, I think these days everyone who was within 10 miles of Woodstock that weekend claims that they saw him).

Anyone on the board attend?
LOL No....to young. I was only 7. I had the album in my vinyl collection.....back when I had a vinly collection.

I think I'll go home tonight, burn a fatty and sing Country Joe McDonald and The Fish "Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die Rag" buck nekkid in honor of Woodstock.

I was there in spirit, thankfully I saw Hendrix and the Doors at the Isle of Wight in 1970. The lineup for that festival was just incredible. There was estimated to be around 700,000 there, making it even bigger than Woodstock.

Wednesday 26th

Thursday 27th

Friday 28th

• Fairfield Parlour: They had recorded a single called "Let The World Wash In", released under the name I Luv Wight, which they hoped would become the festival's theme song. They had also previously recorded as Kaleidoscope. One song available "Soldiers of Flesh" on a bootleg vinyl record called "Coca Cola Bullshit"
  • Arrival: Their set, which included a Leonard Cohen cover, was well received.
  • Lighthouse: This popular Canadian act performed two sets at the festival.
  • Taste: Legendary guitarist Rory Gallagher had a blues trio from 1968 to 1970. This was one of their final shows, which was filmed and recorded. An album, Live at the Isle of Wight, was released of their set in 1971.
  • Tony Joe White: Performed hits including "Polk Salad Annie"; his drummer was Cozy Powell. Tony Joe's entire set was released in 2006 on Swamp Music, a Rhino Handmade collection of his Monument recordings.
  • Chicago: Their set, including "25 or 6 to 4," "Beginnings" and "I'm a Man," was a highlight of the night.
  • Family:
  • Procol Harum: Frontman Gary Brooker commented that it was a cold night.
  • Voices of East Harlem: Their set received several standing ovations. Not actually a band, but a bunch of singing school children from Harlem. They had one studio album.
  • Cactus: Two songs from their set were featured on the LP The First Great Rock Festivals of The Seventies.
  • Mungo Jerry were there but decided not to play
Saturday 29th

• John Sebastian: Performed an 80-minute set, during which former Lovin' Spoonful guitarist Zal Yanovsky, made a surprise guest appearance.
  • Shawn Phillips: American folk musician performed an impromptu solo set following John Sebastian.
  • Lighthouse (second set)
  • Joni Mitchell: Played a controversial set; following her performance of "Woodstock", a hippie named Yogi Joe interrupted her set to make a speech about Desolation Row. When Joe was hauled off by Joni's manager, the audience began to boo until Mitchell made an emotional appeal to them for some respect for the performers. [1]
    .[SUP][dead link][/SUP] Contrary to popular belief, Joe was not the man who was ranting about a "psychedelic concentration camp". That was another incident that took place the previous day. After the crowd quieted down, Mitchell closed her set with "Big Yellow Taxi"
  • Tiny Tim: His rendition of "There'll Always Be an England" can be seen in the film Message to Love.
  • Miles Davis: A DVD of his complete set was released in 2004.
  • Ten Years After: British blues rockers performing what was basically a reproduction of their famous Woodstock set. Highlights included "I'm Going Home" and "I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes," which was featured in Message to Love.
  • Emerson, Lake & Palmer: This was their second gig. Pictures at an Exhibition, which featured the Moog synthesizer was the centerpiece of their historic set. Commercially released as Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 in 1997.
  • The Doors: Their set was shrouded in darkness due to Jim Morrison's unwillingness to have movie spotlights on the band. Their performances of "The End" and "When the Music's Over" are featured in Message to Love.
  • The Who: Their entire set, including the rock opera Tommy, was released in 1996 on CD (Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970). Three years later their set appeared on DVD with significant cuts from Tommy and a few other songs (such as "Naked Eye") missing. In addition, the DVD song set order was radically altered to present Tommy as if having been performed at the second-half of the concert (with "See Me, Feel Me"/"Listening to You" as the conclusion), when, in fact, Tommy was performed in the middle of their lengthy set, and the closing title was "Magic Bus", which concluded some Who concerts at that time. A 2006-reissued DVD of the concert retains the altered order, despite having been personally "supervised" by Who guitarist and songwriter Peter Townshend.
  • Sly & the Family Stone: The showstoppers of Woodstock performed to a tired audience on the early morning of Sunday. However, the audience woke up for spirited renditions of "I Want to Take You Higher", "Dance to the Music" and "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)", which featured Sly on guitar. Prior to their encore, another political militant decided it was time to make a speech, and the booing audience started to throw beer cans onto the stage. Freddie Stone was hit by a flying can and an angry Sly decided to skip the encore. He did promise a second appearance, but this never occurred.
  • Melanie: This Woodstock veteran played a well-received set as the sun rose. Prior to her set, Keith Moon of The Who offered her some moral support and encouragement. Not until afterwards did Melanie realize who he was. Her performance of her own song, 'What Have They Done to My Song Ma' was included in a 2010 French documentary, spanning the 1970 and 2010 I.O.W. festivals, called 'From Wight to Wight' and first shown on TV station ARTE, on 30/07/2010.
Sunday 30th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Wight_Festival_1970
Hmmmm I thought my Name Sake had played there too?

That clip of Jimi doing the Star Spangled Banner is the best musical clip in history, imo.

Such a genius mix of art, politics, protest & otherworldly musicianship. I love that only about 50,000 people were left from the weekend to see it (though, I think these days everyone who was within 10 miles of Woodstock that weekend claims that they saw him).
Oh I can remember how my Grandfather was outraged by his version of the SSB. He thought it was sacreligious. Did not like it at all. That was a pretty common sentiment among the WWII generation back then.

somekind of jam at 25 minutes, with a doobie hanging out of his mouth... I forget this one

don't miss Red House -sweet bluesy Jimi music

Richie Havens' ashes scattered across 1969 Woodstock site
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162...s-ashes-scattered-across-1969-woodstock-site/

The ashes of Richie Havens have been scattered across the site of the 1969 Woodstock concert.

Havens was the first act at Woodstock and his performance of "Freedom" was a highlight of the event. He died in April of a heart attack at age 72.

The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports that Havens' ashes were scattered from a plane as it flew over the upstate New York field during a ceremony on Sunday. About 30 family members attended the event, which drew more than a thousand fans. Actors Danny Glover and Louis Gossett Jr. were among the speakers.

"Though he traveled throughout the world for decades visiting and returning to countless locations, Max Yasgur's field in the Town of Bethel, Sullivan County, New York always remained the location where Richie felt his deepest connection," noted a statement from his family.

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, the venue built on the Woodstock site, hosted the tribute on the 44th anniversary of the final day of the famous three-day concert

Back