Leonthecat
Racism Watchdog
Two former Christie allies found guilty on all counts in Bridgegate trial
NEWARK — Jurors on Friday found two former allies of Gov. Chris Christie guilty of closing lanes to the George Washington Bridge in what prosecutors had alleged was an act of political retribution.
The jurors deliberated all week before delivering a verdict on Friday morning, saying in U.S. District Court that they found Bill Baroni, a former top official at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and Bridget Anne Kelly, a former deputy chief of staff to Christie, guilty on all counts.
Story Continued Below
The two, who were indicted last May on charges of conspiracy, fraud and civil rights violations, faces up to 20 years in prison under the most serious charges.
Baroni and Kelly were convicted of closing several local access lanes to the bridge — the world’s busiest — and creating days of gridlock in Fort Lee, where the span is located.
Prosecutors argued the reason for the closures was to punish the Democratic mayor of the town for not endorsing Christie, a Republican, in his 2013 reelection bid. And while the indictment and much of the trial was focused on the retribution, a last-minute ruling by Judge Susan Wigenton removed any mention of political punishment from jury instructions, raising vehement objections from the defense.
As the jury deliberated on Tuesday, Kelly's lawyer, Michael Critchley, accused Wigenton of “directing a verdict of guilty.” She rejected a formal request to reconsider her ruling.
In a statement released after the verdict, Christie reiterated that he had "no knowledge prior to or during these lane realignments" and said he plans to "set the record straight in the coming days regarding the lies that were told by the media and in the courtroom.”
Baroni, 44, was a close Christie confidant and the governor's top lieutenant at the Port, where he was deputy executive director. He previously served as a Republican state senator with a reputation on both sides of the aisle for his tenacity.
Kelly, a divorced mother of four school-aged children, was a Christie loyalist who worked her way up the ranks of the administration, though testimony during the trial suggested the 44-year-old never seemed to be a member of the governor's inner circle. Throughout the trial, defense attorneys suggested Kelly was more of a functionary than a leader — one who often bore the brunt of Christie's hair-trigger temper.
She struggled to hold back tears as the verdict was read on Friday, while Baroni betrayed little emotion. The two later appeared outside the courthouse, where their attorneys promised to appeal.
“I am innocent of these charges, and I am very, very looking forward to this appeal," said Baroni. Kelly, who appeared visibly shaken, did not speak. They remain free on bail with sentencing scheduled for Feb. 21.
The two were convicted of working with David Wildstein, who was the Port’s director of interstate capital projects and became the government’s star witness during that trial. He is the self-admitted mastermind of the scheme, and he has already pleaded guilty and is cooperating with the government.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/two-former-christie-allies-found-guilty-on-all-counts-in-bridgegate-trial-230736
Governor Chunk Chunkie lets his workers take the heat for his political vendetta.